Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide "bleeding" on shirts worn under the jacket

Richard G

New in Town
I had heavy bleeding on a black HH Aero "Windward". Rubbed it every which way I could, put it out in the sun and rubbed it down with a cloth many times. That took a lot of sting out of the bleeding but not all. Loved the cut of the jacket but hated the bleeding, sold it. Frustrated I bought a black steer hide "Bootlegger" which is better but still bleeds. No problems on cordovan HH "Halfbelt" and brown HH "Highwayman". Black Schott HH "Tracker" 689 does not bleed. Maybe the reasons lay in the particular individual batch of leather one gets? BTW most of Horweens HH hides come from Canada. See here

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
The bleeding is a real bummer as 90% of my attire is business and business casual to work, I can't have bleeding on my collared shirts everyday (nor my leather seats on my car). Good to know though, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
Good luck in your search, Doc. My bomber styled jacket is the company approved vendor, Perrone's horse hide and bleeds onto my white shirts. It has since day one and still does six years later. Mostly the collar but if I get stuck in the rain it bleeds through the zipper area too. I have tried everything I can think of to prevent it, including scrubbing with mechanics hand cleaner. No use. My Schott steer hide biker jacket does not bleed at all. Could that be a factor? Both are made in USA. Other pilots have reported success with Pop's Leathers jackets. Pop's also offers many styles and custom features.

Edward

Bartender
A slip-over mouton collar might be the answer (dress code permitting, of course) if the collar is the primary problem?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Never had a bleeding problem with my brown FQHH. I don't own a car with white leather seats, though.

Aether

One of the Regulars
My brown FQHH 50's HB bleeds a fair bit, as did my black FQHH King of the Road. Neither were treated with anything. My Steerhide A2 doesn't bleed at all and that was treated with the conditioner that Aero used to send out with their jackets (Gliptone?), not sure if that would make a difference?

Peacoat

Bartender
BTW most of Horweens HH hides come from Canada. See here

Yes, Quebec, Belgium and France. This from Horween's site where they answer questions about their operations:

"horween
March 23, 2010 at 8:58 pm
Our cowhides come mostly from Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska and Canada. Horshides are from France, Quebec, and Belgium, where horse is still raised as a foodsource.

Sometimes leathers get labels based on how they’re processed – a tannery anywhere could make Waxed French Calf or English Chrome, for example.

There are differences in hides from different places, but mostly these differences can be attributed to how the animal is raised, the type of animal, and the climate.

Reply"

For guys with problems, why not try to put a strip of not-very-sticky medical tape on the collar of the jacket(s) to keep the shirts clean? I'd give that a shot for sure. I suppose my problem, or lack thereof, is that I don't wear white or very light shirts with my leather jackets. I'm more of a darker color shirt guy. And when I do wear lighter shirts, it's summer and no jackets :)

thor

Call Me a Cab
I had an oil-pull horsehide A-2 and a FQHH Highwayman from Aero and both left a definite brownish stain on the collar of my lighter color shirts. Quite disappointing. This did not happen with the horsehide A-2's from Lost Worlds, U.S. Authentic, Gibson & Barnes or Eastman that I have owned over the years.

I had an oil-pull horsehide A-2 and a FQHH Highwayman from Aero and both left a definite brownish stain on the collar of my lighter color shirts. Quite disappointing. This did not happen with the horsehide A-2's from Lost Worlds, U.S. Authentic, Gibson & Barnes or Eastman that I have owned over the years.

Different types of finish. It makes a difference...

Edward

Bartender
I've never had it with my Aero MC, which is black and Steer. I believe it to be, as said above, an issue to do with the finish. It's the flip side of it being the finish that develops sc patina that everyone raves about. [huh]

Jules

New in Town
The only one that had any colour transfer was my codovan but it was very minor and on a white shirt , on anyother colour clothing it didnt seem to mark at all.
Brown and Black have not marked at all on any colour clothing at least that i have noticed ,all Aero and all HH.

ngorongoro

New in Town
My Aero Black Steerhide highwayman bleeds on light coloured shirts, but I do not notice bleeding when wearing a white wool sweater underneath.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I've never had any problems from my Aero brown FQHH and I generally wear white shirts with the jacket collar turned partially up, even after being out in torrential rain there has never been any staining, my car has black leather seats so I can't comment on those!

D

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
I have a cordovan colored Highwayman (Horween's Chromexcel) and it has never transferred color. The link I included is a nice description of the leather from Horween's own website and it includes a nice Aero Highwayman picture. Horween says, "Chromexcel, or CXL as it’s written in the building, is a combination tanned leather that undergoes at least 89 separate processes taking 28 working days and utilizing all 5 floors of our facility. Needless to say, it’s complicated. For any tannery, the chemistry that transforms salted or cured hides into leather often requires a degree of “cooking.” By cooking I mean there are slight variations that must be managed and corrected from lot to lot."

Cordovan has the biggest reputation for bleeding. I asked Aero about it and they said they have one or two jackets a year that customers raise bleeding concerns about (not just cordovan either). Cordovan was the more worrisome for me because it's a dark purple and would be more obvious than slight bleeding from brown or black with my clothing. Aero made it sound low risk and I haven't had any bleeding at all.

dortiz

One of the Regulars
I have not applied any lotions etc to my jacket. It has turned several white collar shirts black and if I took a picture of my car seat you would scream. It has stained the light grey leather with black smudges very badly.
The coat still is the greatest piece of clothing I have ever owned : )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot