Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide? How to tell the difference between cow, goat and horsehide?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

All seriousness aside, I just tried on a US Wings Goatskin jacket, and it's way too light. I might as well own a wind breaker. I emailed and they said I should have gotten Cowhide. Is steer hide any heavier than the cow's? Is this dependent on the manufacturer and each hide.

Thanks

Mike

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I don't imagine cats would make great jackets..... I've seen a beautiful fur wrap made from two, though. It was given to a friend a couple of years ago - the story goes that they 2ere originally pets that belonged to a lady who couldn't bear to be parted from them when they died, so she had their pelts made into a wrap so that she could still take them everywhere with her....

My two cats have made me mad enough that I've thought of making slippers out of them...the point of entry being the obvious place.

AF

guygardner

A-List Customer
Just got it. It's very heavy and stiff, but without any cracks. The lining is real sheepskin shearling! I know because I can see the leather side of the shearling through a hole in the side pocket. Does anyone know anything about this company, "Natural Comfort New York"? Any guesses as to the age?

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
Well I've only owned two horsehide jackets in my life but numerous cowhide and steerhide jackets... Regarding the horsehide, while i didn't really notice it on the Schott horsehide jacket I owned, on my Aero Highwayman there is a very distinct smell to the leather that is unlike any other jacket i've owned.. it's not a bad smell just different. I thought this was the way horsehide was supposed to smell but maybe it's from the chromexcel tanning process? Does horsehide have a different smell from cowhide or steerhide?

Tony B

One of the Regulars
That smell is not from the skin it is what they do to it with the waxes and fats, I have a JMT hide in the house which is a 1.1-1.2 mm cow hide and is a pull up hide and is smells exactly the same as the chromexcell that aero use.....bloody gorgeous so I have another one on the way soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner