Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide leather jacket care/ maintenance

cn4126

New in Town
Hi- How would you suggest caring/maintaining a horsehide leather jacket that spends more time in the closet than anywhere else (and thus may potentially be prone to drying out somewhat)?

I know aero on their website suggests doing nothing, but I would like to get other perspectives/ experience on the topic.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
First do no harm.

If the jacket was made in the last 2-3 years, you can start treating it in 10 years. If you live somewhere with tropical, leather destructive weather like New Orleans, for instance, you may need more regular interventions.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Hang it on a wide hanger, in a nicely ventillated closet, out of direct sunlight, and that's it. When it gets dirty/dusty, wipe it down with a damp cloth. When it gets wet, let it air dry out of direct sunlight. Don't over-treat it with anything. Apply any kind of conditioner that you use sparingly and occasionally.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I totally agree with what these folks have indicated. Good Horsehide such as what Aero & Lost World tend to use is packed full of waxes & oils so really not needed to treat with much. As indicated in humid, wet climates you'll see more "hazing over" of the leather (looks like a white moldy dust). Just wipe this off periodically with a damp cloth. Do not store the jacket in plastic, it needs to be able to breathe.

I have known a few people who stored thier jackets folded up loosely in a dresser drawer. However I cannot understand why unless thier windows were so large that it was impossible to keep light out of thier closets. Anyone else know why you would store a jacket his way?

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
Actually, if you live in a humid climate, the leather will not dry out as quickly as in states like Arizona.
Think about it like this. Those WWII era jackets were horsehide (most) and were Chrome tanned, so they could afford being left untreated for a long time, but think about what some were subjected to. High altitude and lots of varying weather. Saltwater even. So, even while modern Chrome tanned leather fairs better, it will eventually need a little something.

My Eastman Leather Clothing Monarch is made so well even though its veg tanned that it has been subjected to lots of wear and tear and abuse. Even the aniline dye finish is much more sturdy which makes it not look like how the vintage jackets weathered. Bill Kelso's liberty HH is intentionally made to wear like that I guess, but This ELC probably won't need much care for 40 years maybe, but I am still going to give it a go over once in a while with some leather treatment to keep it soft and supple. But I don't worry about it too much.

Aerofan, to answer that question, it gives the jacket character if thats what you are after. Those flyboys did not hang them up on hangers I assure you unless they were OCD with looking perfect.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ Yep I could see that, thanks Jeremiah!
With as dry as it gets in my house during the winter (like 16% humidity) I keep a humidifier going at night in my bedroom. Interesting thought but wonder if that affects the jackets too.

PeterRocco

A-List Customer
Hang it on a wide hanger, in a nicely ventillated closet, out of direct sunlight, and that's it. When it gets dirty/dusty, wipe it down with a damp cloth. When it gets wet, let it air dry out of direct sunlight. Don't over-treat it with anything. Apply any kind of conditioner that you use sparingly and occasionally.
Hello
What about SCHOTT'S Horsehide? My Jacket is about 5 years old? What would you use?
Thank You
Peter

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
this is only personal feel non tested just my own thinking.

for panel or part of the jacket that never articulates, the front of the chest, the center and lower back, side panel, patch pocket they don't need conditioner, the harder the better for those parts, imagine the leather sole of your shoes, so I personally think it is better if those parts are dry and compressed and harder like armor plate or the toes of your boots, I would not put conditioner but rather put on final coat cream/ wax and buff them into shine, most of these part are also convex in shape so buffing a wax on them really look effective in giving a shiny highlight on the jacket .

while parts that move, twist, bend pushed and pulled during wearing the jacket need conditioning from time to time, like around the shoulder, the inside of elbow the sleeve in general, upper back near the neck, the flap of the pocket, button holes. these parts need to be supple I condition these part with oil and not putting any wax or final coat.

and lastly the part touching our skin , around the collar, and cuff of the sleeve, they need protective coat from our salty sweat and skin oil. I would apply leather final coat cream on these parts after I condition it.

same with wallet, I only condition its spine, and rather put on beeswax on the body of the wallet and buff it.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
@ton312 what did you use on this one?

I gave it a final coat of clear beeswax to brighten up the color.

DFF7E13F-AC5D-4B5D-BE02-AE4AF604A0A6.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails