Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hot head

campbell166

New in Town
Hi guys sorry if this has been asked before
I live in the north east of England and quite often I find wearing a fur felt hat too warm to be comfortable.....I often wonder how cowboys managed in Stetsons and Australians in Akubras ....do you just grow accustomed to wearing them?
Cheers

I live in the north east of England and quite often I find wearing a fur felt hat too warm to be comfortable.....I often wonder how cowboys managed in Stetsons and Australians in Akubras ....do you just grow accustomed to wearing them?
Cheers
Is this true for you 12 months of the year or just in the warmer months? Most of us collectors here in the Lounge have at least 2 sets of hats.....fur felt for the cooler months, Panama or other straws for the summer months and perhaps a lighter weight felt for the shoulder seasons.

Cheers

North east of England…sounds like prime felt weather to me. I don’t let the calendar dictate the type of hat I wear: if it’s too warm for felt wear straw. I don’t find unlined felt hats noticeably cooler, but some do. I think lightweight and lots of ventilation are the keys for warm weather hats. I’m not a believer in suffering for fashion (with all-due respect to the stiletto wearing member of the fairer sex), so if it’s too warm don’t wear a hat. Then again, if it’s a trade off between the extra warmth of a hat and the sun protection hat provide then you’ll have to find the balance in that equation.

Some cowboys wear the same hat year-around. Some switch to straw in the summer. I’m sure there is some aspect of getting used to the added heat, but I wouldn’t wear a hat that was uncomfortable.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Cheers
Handkerchief
B

North east of England…sounds like prime felt weather to me. I don’t let the calendar dictate the type of hat I wear: if it’s too warm for felt wear straw. I don’t find unlined felt hats noticeably cooler, but some do. I think lightweight and lots of ventilation are the keys for warm weather hats. I’m not a believer in suffering for fashion (with all-due respect to the stiletto wearing member of the fairer sex), so if it’s too warm don’t wear a hat. Then again, if it’s a trade off between the extra warmth of a hat and the sun protection hat provide then you’ll have to find the balance in that equation.

Some cowboys wear the same hat year-around. Some switch to straw in the summer. I’m sure there is some aspect of getting used to the added heat, but I wouldn’t wear a hat that was uncomfortable.
Living in the rain belt I don't have a ton of experience living in heat. But I suspect it has a lot to do with what one gets used to. When we lived in Morocco it always amazed me the local men wearing their heavy wool djellabas in what for me was very hot weather. Or in Cuba when our bus driver didn't want to take us to the beach one day as the weather was only 80degrees. He couldn't figure out why we wanted to go the damn beach in such cool weather.

Living in the rain belt I don't have a ton of experience living in heat. But I suspect it has a lot to do with what one gets used to. When we lived in Morocco it always amazed me the local men wearing their heavy wool djellabas in what for me was very hot weather. Or in Cuba when our bus driver didn't want to take us to the beach one day as the weather was only 80degrees. He couldn't figure out why we wanted to go the damn beach in such cool weather.

I’ve never gotten used to the heat. With the exception of maybe fourteen years I’ve lived with summer temperatures in the 100s and I loathe it as much today as I ever did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran