Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about that vintage western look

Thanks, Ross. I'm glad that I haven't had the need for their Tailored Clothing offerings anymore but I've come close to buying some pieces 'just because'. I've long admired what you've shared here. It was the workwear I first saw when I became aware of RRL and then the western stuff followed. First, it was the aesthetic that drew me in. Then the fit was better than anything else I had purchased OTR and the quality kept me coming back, though their vanity sizing in some items can be maddening. Like you, I've been able to get most of what I've wanted but that hasn't kept me out of the look book or looking for those 3 star pieces in the secondary market.

Definitely some impressive pieces. That one with the playing cards is amazing. I saw an old H bar C like that years ago in a Texas vintage shop. I've had a couple of more subtle of Ralph's western shirts. The quality and attention to detail is second to none. The way the plaids on the yokes and pockets lines up with the rest of the shirt is meticulous, and some of them have had some seriously heavy snaps. Enough so that I wondered if they were glass or some kind of stone. The only real issue I have with them is that they're cut for someone with more of a six pack shape, whereas I'm built more like a keg.

Thanks, Cuz. I read a story that during the conception of the Polo Western line, Ralph and members of his team spent a great deal of time in the West visiting western retail stores and vintage shops working on ideas. I was really struck by the similarities with the H bar C and the earlier California Ranchwear stuff. And you are spot on about the attention to detail. I have no idea where they source their snaps but some are glass. Other shirts I have from them include MOP snaps and their white poplin western has crackled marble snaps, or at least used to. I havent bought a new one in awhile.

Here are a couple of more pieces. You can find lots of vintage examples of the coats.
Polo Country
1700232124785.png

RRL
1700232398863.png

Vintage Pioneer Wear
1700229750778.png

RRL
1700230022761.png

1700230377793.png

Polo
1700230252590.png

For a long time I've been on the hunt for a khaki wool gabardine western shirt. Not sure why. I told a friend not long ago I was either a Sheriff's Deputy in a former life or more likely, I'm just trying to get as far away as possible from the blue polyester I wore for so many years. I've bought several vintage shirts but all had condition or size issues. Ross has the finest example I've seen. Ralph produced one in his Polo Western line with dark glass snaps. I took a chance on one not long ago knowing the size was marginal. It's headed back to the bay. The Polo Western line is occasionally released in limited numbers through the RRL line.
1700233917876.png

1700234037127.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner