Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about that vintage western look

Edward

Bartender
Some outstanding Western wear touches on display in Wes Anderson's Asteroid City. I particularly liked Ed Norton's costume, especially the house slippers done to look like cut-down cowboy boots. I would totally buy a pair of those if they were available. For some reason the server won't let me upload any photos to this post, but my images of these (and much else from the props& costumes exhibition relating to this film) are in this thread - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ibition-london-july-2023.111646/#post-3025208

RossRYoung

Practically Family
I really liked the aesthetic throughout the film, including the western landscape façade. Didn’t really care for the actual film overall though, and in a big Wes fan!

Edward

Bartender
I really liked the aesthetic throughout the film, including the western landscape façade. Didn’t really care for the actual film overall though, and in a big Wes fan!

It does seem to have divided opinions among audiences. I preferred it over his other work, but that's a far from universal opinion I know.

Yeah, I'd wear that.
1692621356286.png

Vintage, at least for Ralph. The Western line dropped in 79 and it was all inclusive, from the boots up. I have a pair of boots from the line and as Ralph always has, he used a quality maker for his cowboy boots. They were made by either Lucchese or one of the big three at the time. Ralph has always used a quality US boot maker having used TL before and is currently using Rios for their RRL boots. The line was short lived, though. What I've read is that there were mfg. issues and GAP, who was mfg. the line was bleeding cash. Ralph has released limited items under the Polo Western brand in recent years. I'd guess this is an original but it's just a guess. I picked up my first shirt from the line the other day. It's a wool gabardine and I'm anxious for its arrival.
1692705023618.png

1692705054490.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2658910637...l1JcPGHvQmVINBwEqjkp9sF8GA|tkp:Bk9SR_KBgtDDYg

I like these MW 101 but they're always pretty pricey $$
They are, along with all the other vintage western shirts. At least most of the ones I'm interested in. I've just about given up on trying to buy any more, at least the gabardine types that I really like. They're getting crazy expensive and the cotton thread these shirts are sewn together with doesn't always hold up. I've picked up two that looked perfect but had a come apart with just a little stress and the fit can be odd on some of these old shirts. I checked the fit on one the other day that had 17" shoulders and a 50" chest.

Yamahana

One Too Many
They are, along with all the other vintage western shirts. At least most of the ones I'm interested in. I've just about given up on trying to buy any more, at least the gabardine types that I really like. They're getting crazy expensive and the cotton thread these shirts are sewn together with doesn't always hold up. I've picked up two that looked perfect but had a come apart with just a little stress and the fit can be odd on some of these old shirts. I checked the fit on one the other day that had 17" shoulders and a 50" chest.
Agree, I’ve had similiar experience, plus my 66 year old body doesn’t have as much taper as it used to.

Ralph has been involved in the western wear line for some time. He seems to always have had western shirts in his lineup and in 1979 he launched Polo Western that carried a complete lineup from hats to boots and all things in between. I have a pair of boots from that line that I believe were made by Lucchese. For whatever reasons that line was short lived but western themed pieces continued to show up. When the Polo Country line was launched it included western shirts and SW themed clothing items. Western shirts show up across all of his labels including Purple Label where the $595 denim shirt is made with Italian cotton.

In 1993 Ralph launched the RRL line that specializes in vintage inspired western and work wear. I'm not sure Ralph ever had an original idea in regards to western wear but what he's done with the RRL line is refine a lot of those designs and ideas that have been around for a long time. The line is not advertised and is carried in few stores where Polo is usually sold. This is where so much of my money has gone. I'm a big fan and I haven't found another OTR line to fit me as well.

Anyway, I did some poking around and came up with these modern pieces that remind me of some old stuff I've seen.
1700178536909.png

1700178645188.png

This is a vintage California Ranchwear shirt.
1700179556022.png

A couple of Chimayo paneled sport coats.
1700179878376.png

1700179918119.png

Some more shirts.
1700180014407.png

1700180071049.png

1700180156371.png

1700180216577.png

1700180255169.png

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Nice summary BB. When I first caught the RRL bug, it was more in the ‘Tailored Clothing’ offerings, followed by western pieces, and finally the workwear/engineer items. I hear ya about the $ aspect too, though I still feel it’s worth discounted prices that do pop up now and then. Used items are hit and miss too, but I’ve gotten some killer deals on the older ‘3 star’ items that people are ditching. Sizing is really the only problem I run into but I’ve acquired most of what I wanted thankfully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner