Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How common is the wind string?

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
I bought a beautiful vintage Selentino fedora from a lounger and found it had an elastic band which apparently is called a "wind string" (or I may have the nomenclature wrong). Being a newbie to all this I gather this is the sign of a well made hat. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Just trying to learn some things here. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I will probably wear this to the Pittsburgh Pirates opener Thursday. Watch for me. The hat is worthy of a screen shot. It's real nice.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Wally, I am no expert, I may be off base, and might irk some folk here who are experts for this, but its the internet so here you go (remember what you paid for my opinion)
I've looked at many a lounge thread and I've seen hats with wind cords and lots without. However, in all the times I have been in hat stores, I have never seen a modern hat with a wind cord. So, I would venture that they were "quite common" in the Hat Era. However, I do not believe that having a wind cord is the sign of a quality or well made hat. There are many quality vintage hats on this forum that do not have wind cords. That being said, I'm sure your Selentino is a high quality piece. I am merely suggesting that the presence of a wind cord not be the measure of a hats quality on its own, just like the mere presence of leather seats should not decide the quality of an automobile.
All the best, TS

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
does that break the record as the quickest response ever? LOL

Thanks Auerliano care to elaborate?

lol I'm too succinct at times, I guess. I did answer your question though? lol
Many modern hats come with wind trolleys and not all vintage ones have them. I don't think they are a sign of higher quality but I do think they make a hat look more distinguished, if not elegant. Some are functional and others are just decorative and are sewn to the hat. I love them and most of my custom hats have one.

tealseal

A-List Customer
lol I'm too succinct at times, I guess. I did answer your question though? lol
Many modern hats come with wind trolleys and not all vintage ones have them. I don't think they are a sign of higher quality but I do think they make a hat look more distinguished, if not elegant. Some are functional and others are just decorative and are sewn to the hat. I love them and most of my custom hats have one.
Modern production hats? By whom? I'd love to find one! Do you often use your wind cords on your customs? I do admire every hat your post up Aureliano...I'm going to pay more attention to their ribbons from now on :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
As established, they're called "wind-trolleys". From the reading I've done, these elastic fasteners aren't sold on hats, or at least, not back in the old days (I don't know about now...I've never seen a modern hat sold with its own wind-trolley).

I don't know how pertinent this is, but I'm reminded of a passage from a Sherlock Holmes story. Specifically "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle".

Holmes is examining a hat which has a broken elastic...well, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (the author)...uses the term "hat securer"..., and the comment is made that "...These hat-securers are never sold upon hats. If (the owner) had one added, it is surely a sign of foresight, since he took this precaution against the wind".

The story dates from the 1890s, but I expect that the same was true for the majority of hat-wearing history.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Modern production hats? By whom? I'd love to find one! Do you often use your wind cords on your customs? I do admire every hat your post up Aureliano...I'm going to pay more attention to their ribbons from now on :)

As said by others, Borsalino, Akubra. To add a couple more Cervo, Barbisio (same factory).
Most vintage wind trolleys (or wind buttons or lapel buttons or lapel cords) were actual fabric cords back in the day, modern ones are elastic. Only modern manufacturer who uses modern fabric cords that I know of, is Optimo. Art from VS hats uses actual vintage ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24