Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did it all look when new?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, the photos I’m about to share with you will give you a feel of how things looked and what cars and such looked when new. Original color photos from the period really give you an idea of what colors were used and such. Some of the people in the photos may not look as we may expect them to look! We have been fooled into thinking all that lived back in those days were well dressed every second of the day and with hair like Ginger Rogers or other Hollywood stars. Hollywood gives us a good idea of what was fashion back then, but it doesn’t give us the real deal. What did people really wear day to day, what colors were their cars and such. What you see may shock you!

Root.
1a34424r.jpg
1a34536r.jpg
1a35066r.jpg
1a34271r.jpg
1a34136r.jpg
1a34378r.jpg
1a34716r.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
I hope you all here enjoy these photos or rather windows into the past. It is so fun to look at these and see how our parents or in my case, Grandparents might have seen things in their day. Black and white photos are swell, but some reason color kind of brings it closer to home. Makes it not feel so long ago. These were just normal people who were making a difference to help win a world war. They were the unsung heroes of the golden era. Yes, they were some ones wives or husbands, Grandparents and so on.

I have such a deep love and affection for this generation. It’s truly amazing how large and powerful a steam locomotive was, how nice cars looked back then, how women even working in factories are wearing button down blouses with their hair done up! Would we see something like this today? You bet you wont! And we will only see this by the photos we have from these days.

Highest regards,

Root.

I really have to hand it to you. Finding so much of that stuff is really interesting.
I doesn't surprise me what the people looked like though. I have the same kind of family stuff in black and white. It does amaze me how much slower the pace of life was back then though. I suppose I am used to instant gratification now. Information flows so fast. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
Root these rock and I can't wait to see part 2.......I love the pics of the everyday man showing huys on a daily basis instead of out on the town

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, he would if he had any to give. :p Don't sweat it Matt, I'll help you find some good vintage.

So, you boys want more more eh? Well, I'll see what I can do. It' takes time to do this and well, I'm happy to do it, but just give me a little time.

More to come soon,

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
For those who subscribe to Remininsce Magazine, you get to see these type of color photos every issue! Highly recommended! Regards. Michaelson

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Treeeeeeeeemendous!

Root, thank you so much for putting these up. It is so cool. I didn't know that color was even an option for film then. Looks so, well, I hate this word as it so overused - surreal. Almost like recreations they look so good.

Well, thanks again.

Cab

Michaelson

One Too Many
It's $17 per year, 6 issues a year, published by Reiman Publications, and have a website where you can subscribe. (though I can't find it in the magazine sitting by my elbow, you can find it through a websearch). A lot of times they have it for a LOT less for new subscribers. Regards. Michaelson

Sergei

Gone Home
My mother during this period, worked at a photography studio where she did the colorization from b&w prints to color. Here is a sample of the process:
new_grandma_01.jpg

new_grandma_02.jpg

Sergei

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot