Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I get vintage hair after the gym?

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I go to the gym 3 mornings a week and love it, what I don't love is the hair predicament I find myself in 3 days a week. I must wash my hair afterward as it is alway in a state of yuck. But there in lies my problem, my hair. I haven't been doing vintage near as much because of my wet hair. So how do I get a vintage look with my mop of wet hair? And to throw a wrench in things my hair typically takes between 10 and 12 hours to completely dry, and being naturally curly, it turns into a giant ball of un-tame-able frizz from a blow dryer. Normally I simply side braid it and call it a day. Scrunching it and letting it air dry makes me feel gross. So any advice? I am at my wits end.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
How about using gel or pomade and combing waves into your curls. Would that work? I went to school with a girl that had curly hair and she would do that all the time after gym class. She'd use a product, then comb her hair back into waves and then either put the rest into a pony tail or she'd twist it up into a low bun and pin it. I always envied her curls. Just a thought.

Bebe*Gunn

New in Town
I swim 2x a week and have built it into my hair setting routine :)

Night before a swim I brush out my set and put ojon in my hair to sleep. Wake up, go swim with ojon still in, shower it out and shampoo etc.

After that I blast my (ex Bettie) bangs with the dryer a bit then stick in 4 small rollers with a spritz of lottabody. The rest I either put mousse in, scrunch and let dry naturally or side braid/double pigtail braids/high pony tail (depending on what I'm wearing!). Then I wrap a scarf around my head to cover the rollers - either turban style/Rosie style/ Alice band style (again, depending on the outfit).

A few hours late I can discard the scarf and brush out my bangs, I generally find that if the front of my hair looks authentic then the back doesn't matter too much - side combs can really help to get a 40s shape with zero time and effort.

That night, I'll pin curl my bangs and sponge roller my hair (I just damp it down with a squirty bottle but if I don't use mousse after swim I add some lottabody too).

2 days later I do it all again - apart from swim days I only do one other set per week, usually Friday night ready for the weekend.

I know all hair types respond differently but if you can get the front to look good either by combing in waves (as suggested above) or a pomp, or a side part/Alice band combo, the rest doesn't need to be perfect!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Grant Fan - What kind of curls do you get from air drying? If they are nice you could try a center part while gently bringing back the hairline with bobby pins or combs and let it air dry.

Flicka

One Too Many
When I haven't set my hair, I use one of those thick rats. I usually put a roll at the nape or along the crown of my head and roll the bangs into a sort of side sweep curl (I have very fine perfectly straight hair, but I can't see why it shouldn't work as well on curly hair - I know I can do it when I have a mad frizz from going to bed with curls set the day before with lots of hairspray). Sometimes, I part it in the middle and put in two rats so I get a Wallis Simpson-esque roll from ear to ear. All you need besides your rats are bobby pins and some trusty hairspray to keep it in place.

Lenore

Practically Family
Just the thread I was looking for. I'm starting (keep your fingers crossed!) an exercise regime, and by golly, I'm frightened at looking at my hair after my morning shower. I've started growing out my middy so it's not so... choppy?... but I was at a loss until I remembered this thread. Thanks for all the advice, ladies. :)

boondooglejane

New in Town
I you guys want another style, there's something I do on rainy days that would work with wet hair. I take strands from the front sides of my hair and braid them back, then use a small elastic to tie them together, creating a headband made out of hair. Then I take small sections of my hair and wrap it around the braided area. I then combine the end of the strand with the next strand and continue wrapping all my hair around the braid, one side at a time. When I finish one side I hold it in place with 3-pronged clip-thing. Then I start the other side and continue it the way I did the other, but if it overlaps the other hair, it's fine. Then I use a comb with some kind of decoration on it to hold it in place and use a couple bobby pins, too.

There was a tutorial for it online, but I can't find it. It also does a good job of curling wet hair. I used to wear it like this (but wrapped around a headband) over night and let it curl, then in the morning I would brush it out for a Katherine Hepburn hair style. But if my hair wasn't completely dry, it wouldn't work.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
MarieAnne they are crazy when let to air dry a combo of tight curls wave and frizz. Tight curl being what one might get from a 1/2 inch or a bit smaller curling iron

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My wife lurks here all the time, but I can never get her to post. She and her hairdressing partner are just as bad with their Facebook Page. If you check out that link, you will see a blonde and a redhead.
The latter is my wife. The daughter of the blonde lady does her best to keep their Facebook page up to date. My wife tells me that hair that has recently been washed is the most difficult to style. What she recommends, and does herself, (we are regular gym attenders) is to wash your hair previously, your perspiration in the gym will actually enhance the style. It's just a matter accepting that it's not unhygienic. Your hair will still have that freshness, and you will look fabulous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner