Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you break in a new hat?

Pduck

One of the Regulars
I've heard of people wetting down their hat and then wearing it while it dries. Is that something that was only done in old movies? What about fur felt? How do you get it to have that "lived in" feel?

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Totally agree, sweat is best!
My significant other thought I had gone completely off the deep end once (that is probably wrong, she has likely thought that MANY times) as I was going out on an unseasonably warm January evening for a countryside night time bicycle ride wearing a brand new felt hat.
I had to explain very seriously as to how the night was warm enough for me to sweat and I wanted to wear this new hat for an all day horse show in a couple of days and I wanted the hat broken in and comfortable. She offered that if someone saw me riding a bicycle wearing an expensive cowboy hat they'd think I was a fleeing burglar. I replied that I'd take it off if the very rare event occurred where a car actually passed me on our deserted road at 10:30 PM.
I left donning my new lid as she giggled, my resolve not diminished in any way.
Only those of us with this "gift" can fully understand.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
It's worth noting that if a hat feels like it needs a LOT of 'breaking in' the fit may not be right to begin with. I have this trouble from time to time. Over the course of a large collection of hats there are only a few that are super comfortable. With some of those it's because I have worn, and sweat them in. With others, they were just the right size and shape naturally.

I am a size 7 Long Oval. When I jam into regular oval hats I can usually feel the pressure. Also, all hats that are labeled in a given size do not measure up the same in actual size and shape. Modern hats are made and labeled somewhat haphazardly at times. Many vintage hats have tightened up over the decades.

See if wearing it as prescribed does the trick. But if the hat seems determined to 'break YOU in' then you might need to find out your actual size and shape and shoot for a better fit.

G'luck.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
If breaking in means to get it conform to your head and not have any tight spots, then you can use a little steam on the areas of concern and then put the hat on. The steam softens the shellac used as stiffener and then placing it on your head will let it set to your specific shape.

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
I have a federation that I bought in 2003 and wore it and continually beat it up and never really thought it felt 'broke in'. Then this past Christmas I received a Fed IV and after wearing that for a day I realized just how broken in my other one had become.

Wearing it is the only way... but I'm sure shaping with some steam doesn't hurt either.

-Allen

One way to speed it up is to flip down the sweatband & dampen the backside of it then put it on & wear it until it dries. This basically speeds up the process of your sweat developing & soaking into the band. DO NOT let it dry off your head or the sweatband will draw & be much tighter than you want. HTH...

univibe88

One Too Many
When my campdraft was new, I just sat on it a few times. Then wore it in the snow. Of course I was going for a haphazard, imprecise bash.

jpbales

Practically Family
usually a good steam over the tea kettle then sticking it right on my head helps.

wet it around the sweat then wearing it helps.

wearing it around the house and whenever you get a chance helps.

i made a block the shape of my head which fits in around the sweatband and I usually leave that in over night or whenever and that helps. Since it's my actual head's shape, when I take it out and put it on it's like I've been wearing it already.

HatBlock2.jpg

I know I've posted this thing in like a gazillion other threads, but it works! I made it from cutting 4 or 5 peices of plywood to a trace of my head I made, gluing/screwing them together, and sanding them down. Now I can break in a hat without wearing it, and stretch hats that don't fit quite right.

edit: i know, I need to make a new one that looks pretty, but this one does fine for now!

jpbales

Practically Family
i decided that I needed to post some more about my little block :D

here's another pic of it I just took,
my head isn't exactly round:
HatBlock.jpg

so when I refer to my "goofy melon," you know what I'm talking about! Seriously though, this thing is great for breaking in hats.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Pduck said:
OK, I just thought there might be a way to speed up the process.

Blasphemy!lol

Wearing it constantly, sweating it in, should be something done with pride and perseverance!

Pduck

One of the Regulars
jpbales said:
usually a good steam over the tea kettle then sticking it right on my head helps.

wet it around the sweat then wearing it helps.

wearing it around the house and whenever you get a chance helps.

i made a block the shape of my head which fits in around the sweatband and I usually leave that in over night or whenever and that helps. Since it's my actual head's shape, when I take it out and put it on it's like I've been wearing it already.

HatBlock2.jpg

I know I've posted this thing in like a gazillion other threads, but it works! I made it from cutting 4 or 5 peices of plywood to a trace of my head I made, gluing/screwing them together, and sanding them down. Now I can break in a hat without wearing it, and stretch hats that don't fit quite right.

edit: i know, I need to make a new one that looks pretty, but this one does fine for now!

What I want to know is how did you trace the shape of your head? Did you just get it from a hat that fits you well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner