Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you change your oil?

FredDairy

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
You mean some of you guys don't wash the hair jelly out every day???

I have in the past, but sometimes that can cause my thin hair to be really weak and break and look dried out and damaged. Plus that hardcore scrubbing to get the wax out doesn't seem to healthy.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
You mean some of you guys don't wash the hair jelly out every day???

OK, sorry to disappoint: I admit to "changing the oil" less than once a day. :eek:
There are, however, extenuating circumstances.

First, the amount of time spent in conversation with hair on washday just can't compete with - well, just about anything! When my hair, collars, or grooming tools start looking nasty at around three to four days, then I go through the whole wash and dry the brushes and combs, shampoo/condition and towel dry the hair, and, of course, reexplain the rules of our relationship (that would be the relationship between my hair and me).

On the other hand, I refuse to use any petrolatum or mineral oil-based product or any product containing cetyl or any alcohol variation. At first, it meant a lot of time in the aisles reading labels, but it has been time well spent. Now, I use products that work well with my hair without the downsides of using them.

When I kept my hair short, I found out that my hair is not so friendly to get along with when it is washed too frequently. It loses its natural shine AND dries out. So, not only does it look unhealthy, but, since it is also much less cooperative, it gradually as the day wears on becomes more and more uncouth in appearance. The best balance I found was to wash it every three to four days - unless it got really funky from some activity like going to a club where there are smokers. :rage:

Maybe those kinds of differences determine the frequency of oil changes or is all that the successful rationalizations of a lazy and uncouth character? [huh]

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I wash my hair every 3 days, but in the shower (which I do everyday) I do rinse it and my pomade (Royal Crown) does wear out just by doing so.

I choose not to wash my hair every day because of how harsh that can be on your hair (seriously) and it is actually good to have some of the natural oils from your scalp in your hair.

It also helps with how my hair is (I have hair that is thick but very soft).

...and if I just grossed anyone out, remember....U-Boat.:rolleyes:

:)

Prien

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Posted by Stanley Van Buren and here I thought this was going to be a thread discussing proper dress for when working on one's automobile.

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread (...just throw on a pair of dark blue overalls and old boots...then go at it.), but then read down through it.

:eek: ...:D

Prien:rolleyes:

From my experience, it is hard to find shampoos these days that are WITHOUT built in conditioners. I will clean my scalp and hair every other week or so with an application of baby oil and then a vigorous comb thru with an Ace comb that has a profile similar to the nit combs, After that I use non conditioner shampoo twice then the brown Neutragena shampoo. Shampoos with built in comnditioners will not get the baby oil out unless used numerous time.

Herbal Essence use to have no conditioner as did Prell. I have a no name in a green apple scent for my no conditioner shampoo right now.

I use the Neutrgena shampoo daily. I rarely use hair dressing of any type.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
StanleyVanBuren said:
and here I thought this was going to be a thread discussing proper dress for when working on one's automobile. Oh well!

Ditto. I take my car to a service center for oil changes or any other work.

M8

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Listerine removes pommade.
127701-1.jpg

vonwotan

Practically Family
Don't know where I heard this, it may have been in grammar school, but it seems that Listerine was orginally developped as a treatment for head lice?

I used to wash my hair at least once per day, twice on squash and gym days. However, Sarah convinced me to wash on a schedule, just Monday, Wednesday and Friday with a very mild shampoo. This leaves my hair under much better control and little or no need for other products. I do condition once per week (Wednesdays).

The only products I use these days for control - when I forget to see my barber - are the leave in oils from John Masters in NYC. He sells on-line and through Sarah's favourite, Saffrom Rouge.

Who knew I could go from the no effort high and tight to all this! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred