Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you compare Eastman House A-2s with original maker models?

lapa

Familiar Face
For those we have experience with them, what would you comment on hide thickness, fit and resale values?

Sorry this may be a question too general, as there are so many original makers.. Anything you say would help.

thanks.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The "house" A2s are generic A2s with features from several original A2s, but are broadly similar to Roughwear A2s without a collar stand. Their original maker series are of course based on specific contracts. You can compare the different "house" A2s with different original maker jackets by looking at the piuctures on the ELC website. As far as thickness of hide goes, this varies according to when the "house" or original maker A2 was made. The thickest hides are now used on the latest batch of RW 27752, Monarch and Star A2s. The best hh in terms of authenticity when compared with oirginals IMO is found on their 20+ year old house A2s. Re-sale values vary according to the size of the jacket, condition, ages etc. The best guide is to follow ELC auctions on Ebay. Broadly speaking ELC A2s in a size 42 go for £200- £350 on Ebay.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
ELC's Pearl Harbor A-2 is a steerhide house model (same phoney "contract" # A.C. 23373) with a collar stand added.

Mine is a nice lightweight steer with horsey characteristics - fine variable grain, smooth drape. Color is veg. tanned Timeworn Walnut Brown (= a slightly mottled seal).

The sizing seems to be a little relaxed from ELC's idea of wartime cut - mostly around the waist (my problem area :eek:). ELC 44s usually give me fit problems, but this 44 doesn't. It's snug but comfortable and flattering.

One improvement over the contract models: the Pearl has tightly woven knits with a fine ribbing and good elasticity!

The resale value seems to be not so hot - I picked this up for $400, less than half current retail.

Last edited:

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
How are the knits on the Eastman house models? One phobia of mine is to purchase a nice A2, only to have the knits eventually lose their elasticity and hang loosely without shape. Are the Eastman knits durable and tight on the house models?

lapa

Familiar Face
aswatland and Fletch, thanks for your comments.

aswatland,

I bought an Eastman house A-2 size 38 from a Canadian seller off ebay, with AL. Ross name tag. I saw you were selling one similar. Was this one from you? Mind sharing some information about AL. Ross?

Thanks.

IMG_1652.jpg
IMG_1655.jpg

Last edited:

ace12

New in Town
lapa, do you remember me? wax1212?! Wow, it's good to see you here at FL! This is an awesome place where you can learn from the experts! Happy New Year to ya!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes I did sell the jacket to a dealer in Canada. I bought it myself second hand and can't tell you anything about the name tag except that it was the name of a previous owner.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I have owned several ELC A-2 jackets, both their "house" contract as well as their original maker contracts. IMHO, the knits are a bit loose and flimsy. I've had some go to tatters on a repro M-422a in less then a year. Maybe we just have nastier moths/boll weevils here in NYC? :)

All I know is that I was not impressed with the Eastman knit's thin material, their lack of any real elasticity or their durability. I did like the jackets, just not a fan of the knits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo