Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you know when a jacket is broken in?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
It will start to look like this, zips green with verdigris, leather creased and stitching stretched, but comfy like an old favourite.
a1003_zps2c94081c.jpg

And like this :D
P6030033_zpsa324b456.jpg

And some sweaty pits:eek:

P6030032_zpsf1a8c955.jpg

Craig! I keep my leathers in a wardrobe but the room can get a bit freezy this time of year. Front quarter horsey jackets do tend to get a bit stiff if left in colder areas but once put on soon soften up. But whatever you do do not put it next to a radiator if wet.
John

BJC88

New in Town
Well after a few days of sleeping in my jacket; than wearing the same jacket all day, I can definitely say this: my jacket has definitely broken in quite nicely. :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
A nice idea, but I can't see my girlfriend being too impressed if I slid into bed wearing my jacket: "Now, I'm not a prude, and I can't say I'm not intrigued, but isn't something we should have discussed first?" :D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Sloan, zipped up, that LHB offers protection ... well, at least in an auto collision. :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ha! Actually, I noticed earlier on that it has a faint line of graining below the chest pocket where the safety belt dug in on impact. I look upon it as a 'memento'. :D

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
My Aero Long Half Belt, which I took delivery of in Jan 2012, was ordered as Cordovan FQHH jacket. However it recently transpired that this beast is indeed Steer ...or as affectionately termed here on the FL ..."Storse" ;)
I loved the jacket anyhow, so it was never a consideration for me to have it replaced....but heck! when it comes to breaking in and at 5 KG+ in weight, It still stands up and it's still fighting me!!
Considering that in the UK, 2012 was almost winter for 11 months, I've certainly clocked up many hours with this jacket ...at an average of 15 hours a week, I've estimated around 400 hours of wear have gone into it so far!....its creased nicely around the arms and finally the top-coat of cordovan dye is breaking up along the forearms & elbows to reveal the "primary" colour underneath.
So I'm guessing on current form, it could be another 400 hours of wear before this LHB will be properly "broken in"
My previous Aero was their "Ace Rocker" (close cousin to the Highwayman) in black FQHH ...which feels as soft as a dressing gown in comparison. This jacket broke in quite quickly and now has a lovely patina with great character....lots of brown pigments coming through on the black.
Meanwhile, it's amusing to see people on crowded trains & buses try to "bump" me out of their way...the look on their faces when their soft clothed shoulders collide with my"storse" armour is priceless !! :D

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
So that's the Chomexcel 4oz steer I assume?

I was thinking of getting my next Aero in that in cordovan. It looks like a lovely leather. But I was put off by people here saying how heavy it was and how difficult to break in. So it's still hard to bend after a year of regular use then?

I can't help thinking that all those people who got their knickers in a twist and sent jackets back just because they were made in Chromexcel steer and not Chromexcel horse were a bit OTT. Unless they found the heavy steer just too uncomfortable to wear. In which case it is understandable.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Heavy steer does sound like a beast to deal with. I understand there are fans of it, but there seems very little that I've read to really recommend it, beyond its ability to withstand a spill from a bike.

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
So that's the Chomexcel 4oz steer I assume?

I was thinking of getting my next Aero in that in cordovan. It looks like a lovely leather. But I was put off by people here saying how heavy it was and how difficult to break in. So it's still hard to bend after a year of regular use then?
I can't help thinking that all those people who got their knickers in a twist and sent jackets back just because they were made in Chromexcel steer and not Chromexcel horse were a bit OTT. Unless they found the heavy steer just too uncomfortable to wear. In which case it is understandable.

Yeah....It IS a lovely leather ...though not for the faint-hearted. I could see it was going to take a considerable amount of commitment to wear one of these bad-boys...though I like a challenge! ;)
It's all down to the individual and I know It WILL eventually give in to my persistence....meanwhile it's certainly keeping me warm!
Some people have certainly been rather OTT and getting bent out of shape over the whole Aero Horse/Steer saga...however this Steer is certainly not an inferior leather by any stretch of the imagination...it just has certain differences in weight and texture....if I wanted a bike jacket?..Steer is where I'd go.

frussell

One Too Many
Geez Rockin' Dog, if your LHB in steer weighs 5kg+, you must be a big fella. My size 52 LHB in steer weighs in at roughly 10 lbs, and I'm six foot five, over 280 lbs. If I'm doing my conversion right, your jacket outweighs my monstrosity by over a pound. I'm returning mine, not only because it was not what I paid for, but also because it fits very poorly. I think the fit might have been miscommunication between Mark Moye and Amanda, at least I hope so. You are right about the armor-like properties, I'm fairly sure mine would stop most stabbing implements, as well as small caliber projectiles. Not much fun to drive in though. Frank

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
How do you know when a jacket is broken in?

“Broken in” is when you can see yourself in the jacket even when you’re not wearing it. You can see the roll on the right-side hem line where your jacket always bunches up against your Jeep’s console. You can see your the sleeves getting shorter because big wrinkles have formed in the elbows exactly where your elbows bend. You can see the wear on the high spot where you always keep your car keys in that pocket. You can see the stain on your jacket where a beer spilled on the bar at “Country Joes” one night, and you unknowingly put your elbow in it. You can see the twin scratches under the right cuff where you reached for your Telecaster and two of its tuning posts cut the leather like razors. You can see the small dark smudge on the left collar and you know it was once red lipstick…and not your wife’s shade.

AF

Last edited:

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
Geez Rockin' Dog, if your LHB in steer weighs 5kg+, you must be a big fella. My size 52 LHB in steer weighs in at roughly 10 lbs, and I'm six foot five, over 280 lbs. If I'm doing my conversion right, your jacket outweighs my monstrosity by over a pound. I'm returning mine, not only because it was not what I paid for, but also because it fits very poorly. I think the fit might have been miscommunication between Mark Moye and Amanda, at least I hope so. You are right about the armor-like properties, I'm fairly sure mine would stop most stabbing implements, as well as small caliber projectiles. Not much fun to drive in though. Frank

Yes Frank...I guess it helps being "a big unit" when it comes to wearing one of these jackets....mine also has a pair of detachable mouton collars that I alternate with (Black & Rust). That tips the weight over 5kg.
fortunately for me the fit is perfect, so no issues on the cut. For you, I understand if the fit is disappointing then you have a genuine reason for returning it...or even if it's just too heavy for the climate were you live ....can't be that many cold days & nights in the Cali desert?
-R'D

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
“Broken in” is when you can see yourself in the jacket even when you’re not wearing it. You can see the roll on the right-side hem line where your jacket always bunches up against your Jeep’s console. You can see your the sleeves getting shorter because big wrinkles have formed in the elbows exactly where your elbows bend. You can see the wear on the high spot where you always keep your car keys in that pocket. You can see the stain on your jacket where a beer spilled on the bar at “Country Joes” one night, and you unknowingly put your elbow in it. You can see the twin scratches under the right cuff where you reached for your Telecaster and two of its tuning posts cut the leather like razors. You can see the small dark smudge on the left collar and you know it was once red lipstick…and not your wife’s shade.

AF

Wonderfully expressed AF.
Reminds me of a old leather bike jacket I still have in my loft/attic. Bought it when I was 17 and lived in it for the next 8 years until I couldn't fit into it anymore. I occasionally pull it out to survey its scars & "trophies" ;)....memories of wild rock'n'roll nights...it still carries the tangy essence of old Tequila & the pong of beer & cider! ...And yes I've washed it many a time...however these aromas have taken on a almost supernatural life of their own....they refuse to die. That help me decide never to try and sell it...after all, who, in their right natural frame of mind would buy this stinking slab of animal skin?!......Broken in? Oh Yes! ...and then some! ;)
And its been also said ...."if this jacket could talk....Man, it would have some great stories to tell!"
-R'D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

AF

Or in my case, the line of graining where the seatbelt in my car dug-in during a prang, saving me a nasty welt - these things do more than just look good, you know. :D

On a leather jacket there comes a time when it moves with you and doesn't restrict you. My biker jacket from the 80's was like buttah! My A2 I only wear when it's fairly cold <for LA?

The A2 is not moving with me yet and it's about 5 years old. It isn't cold enough to wear very often, or if it is cold enough chances are I am not headed out. The economy tells me don't go out as much as much as I used to...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo