Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you style your hair? How do people react?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I swap between a side part and a center part. Here's me tonight with a center part.

I use baby oil to keep my hair in place.

It's a good haircut. That's also a very late 19th, and early 20th century look, although you'd see in photographs and movies that the style was still pretty popular until some time in the 1940s or 1950s, speaking from an American perspective. I had a similar hairstyle to that for a few months, until pretty recently (I now have a shorter, Caesar cut slanted down the side, somewhat), except I parted it a little more off-center from my left.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I'm in the Yul Brynner camp... Initially some folks thought I was undergoing chemo, but after that was dispelled, it's never caused comment.

Well.... apart from that one kid who inquired as to whether I was "a gay or a nazi". [huh]

I Have recently started to go for the total head shave too. I have been having grade one cuts for many years, but plucked up courage to ask for a grade zero last Autumn which I liked and I think it looked good, so in December I went back for another grade zero, the barber somehow managed to do it even shorter than before, which again I liked, so I have just taken it one stage further, which I think suits me. I have not had any adverse comments about it.

milliedog

Familiar Face
The view that older men shouldn't have long hair is rather limiting and probably says more about random personal biases than anything else. I think Mr Nelson looks great with long hair. I think variety should be celebrated and we shouldn't set limits as to what looks "correct".

+1 on that. I think it best to leave the sophmoric personal biases to the 14 year old girl with pigtails.

Edward

Bartender
I Have recently started to go for the total head shave too. I have been having grade one cuts for many years, but plucked up courage to ask for a grade zero last Autumn which I liked and I think it looked good, so in December I went back for another grade zero, the barber somehow managed to do it even shorter than before, which again I liked, so I have just taken it one stage further, which I think suits me. I have not had any adverse comments about it.

Fortunately for we of the Caucasian flavour, it's a look that in recent years has moved very far away from the sort of assumptions it would have drawn in the early eighties, wrt far-right politics. I think, tbh, while I'm no fan of football nor really have anything much in common with him, Beckham did a lot to mainstream the shaved-head thing. That and it just seems to have finally comed round as the default norm for we Generation Xers losing our hair. I went over the a full shave in June 06, nearly nine years ago, after four years of increasingly shorter buzzcuts, trying to hide how much my hair was thinning. I balded young, at twenty-eight. I'd always assumed I would have to be dealing with that issue in my early forties, not late twenties, but then I have heard that it's a medical phenomenon that Gen X'ers are losing their hair on averaged ten years earlier than their fathers did. Plus I'm an academic, and it seems that premature balding is especially common in that career path. The only regret I've ever had about shaving my head was that I didn't start doing it four years earlier. I'd been using clippers for a couple of years, once having it longer on top stopped hiding the thinning - started with a 2, then went to a 1. I actually got very proficient at clipping my own hair at a 1 - twice a week will do thatto you. When twice a week stopped hiding it, I reached for the razor instead. It's actually much easier and faster. I do still have to sheel out for cartridge razors for my head. They're expensive (I shave my face with a DE safety razor - far superior shave, fraction of the price for blades), but the only way to get the angle without slicing myself. Significantly cheaper than haircuts, too. The electric clippers have now been relegated to taking out knots from the cat's fur.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Fortunately for we of the Caucasian flavour, it's a look that in recent years has moved very far away from the sort of assumptions it would have drawn in the early eighties, wrt far-right politics. I think, tbh, while I'm no fan of football nor really have anything much in common with him, Beckham did a lot to mainstream the shaved-head thing. That and it just seems to have finally comed round as the default norm for we Generation Xers losing our hair. I went over the a full shave in June 06, nearly nine years ago, after four years of increasingly shorter buzzcuts, trying to hide how much my hair was thinning. I balded young, at twenty-eight. I'd always assumed I would have to be dealing with that issue in my early forties, not late twenties, but then I have heard that it's a medical phenomenon that Gen X'ers are losing their hair on averaged ten years earlier than their fathers did. Plus I'm an academic, and it seems that premature balding is especially common in that career path. The only regret I've ever had about shaving my head was that I didn't start doing it four years earlier. I'd been using clippers for a couple of years, once having it longer on top stopped hiding the thinning - started with a 2, then went to a 1. I actually got very proficient at clipping my own hair at a 1 - twice a week will do thatto you. When twice a week stopped hiding it, I reached for the razor instead. It's actually much easier and faster. I do still have to sheel out for cartridge razors for my head. They're expensive (I shave my face with a DE safety razor - far superior shave, fraction of the price for blades), but the only way to get the angle without slicing myself. Significantly cheaper than haircuts, too. The electric clippers have now been relegated to taking out knots from the cat's fur.

I Agree with your comments here. At the moment I use the electric razor all over, for my face and head and it's fine, very easy to do.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I swap between a side part and a center part. Here's me tonight with a center part.

I use baby oil to keep my hair in place.

You look like you have a nice head of hair. I would love to see a side part as I personally don't care for center parts except for very long hair.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
Although I still have a full head of hair, various medications and certain medical conditions have caused me to lose about half of what I once had. I normally get it cut rather short (tapered back and sides down to a #2 guard on the razor) with just enough on top to comb over. When done properly my hair style is much like the Roger Sterling style from Mad Men. My last cut though was not done properly. The barber forgot to taper the hair and just took the razor up the back and sides of my head, so now I just have the "enough to comb over" on the top.

I also use Vitalis.

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
I don't have a photograph but thanks to my graying hair on the sides of my head, my hairstyle looks like Mr. Fantastic.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have a buzz cut, a #2, 3 or 4 depending on my mood. I love it, no stuffing around, have a shower, get out and I'm done. And I do it at home with a Wahl set of clippers so I save a stackload of cash not having to go to the barber. Win win situation ;)

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I have a buzz cut, a #2, 3 or 4 depending on my mood. I love it, no stuffing around, have a shower, get out and I'm done. And I do it at home with a Wahl set of clippers so I save a stackload of cash not having to go to the barber. Win win situation ;)

The money you save really must add up. I can't cut all my hair myself, but I do have an Oster Classic 76 that I use to cut the backs and sides of my head which at least doubles the length of time before I have to go back to the barber otherwise.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The money you save really must add up. I can't cut all my hair myself, but I do have an Oster Classic 76 that I use to cut the backs and sides of my head which at least doubles the length of time before I have to go back to the barber otherwise.

You really do save a lot Dude. Not only on barber fees but you don't need any wax, gel, pomade, etc. It's a piece of cake to do too. I wouldn't go back to any other kind of haircut.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
You really do save a lot Dude. Not only on barber fees but you don't need any wax, gel, pomade, etc. It's a piece of cake to do too. I wouldn't go back to any other kind of haircut.

The hair product and all probably saves you even more money. I'll admit that I love styling my hair so I spend a bit on pomade haha, but I can at least save money on less haircuts.

It gets easier the more I do it, but still hard to do the edges where my short hair meets the longer hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy