Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Does One Comb Their Hair Like This?

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I have seen many old photos where the people comb their hair like this. How is a hair style like this combed?
article-1216898-06A143E1000005DC-736_224x298.jpg

d1e0a183d5cff5c0ecd417a2a2d39f2a.jpg

l-lt2qtt03k3ruvj.jpg

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I use Murray's and Brylcreem. My problem is not hold. My problem is that my hair is always getting plastered flat on top of my head, and I am confused how to comb my hair like that.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
The cut is everything. If your hair is too long &/or isn't cut to hold this style from the start, it won't have enough body & it will fall flat. Too much gunk will also flatten your wig. Men used to go to the hairdresser's/barber's twice a month to maintain such a hairstyle.
Having sufficient hair up top helps too.;)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I use Murray's pomade in my hair occasionally. It's not bad, but it's a pain in the butt to wash out. The same effect could be gotten with modern hair-gel.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whislerm is correct. I grew up in the '50's, and Brylcream was everywhere - literally everywhere. A kid in my class rested the back of his head against the blackboard one day, and the spot remained. They tried everything to get it off, but it was still there several years later. I found, though, that because I have fine hair there was only so much I could do with Brylcream. For instance, I could never maintain a pompador. There were other styles, though, that I could wear. You should look up some of the styles of the late '50's and early '60's: there were quite a few. I had one style that was a crewcut on top with Butchwax in the front to make it stick up, and was longer on the sides and back so I could comb it into a D.A. (duck's ass). I think it was called a "Chicago Box." I'm sure other members will chime in.

Ah, yes, Brylcreem. As I recall, it offers the choice of a wet look or a dryer look, depending on if you used a dryer or not. CLEAN hair is a MUST to get it right, too.

You may also want to look into finding a "Roffler Cut" trained barber, too, and you need to hurry on that; they're not youngsters... That unmistakable razor sculpting will necessitate the use of woman repellant, so go easy!!

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Thanks for the replies! :D

I have relatively thick, wavy hair. In fact, my hair is a little too wavy. Without any product my hair becomes a total puffy mess. :eek:

Perhaps I should try for something like this instead? It looks a bit easier to comb that's for sure. The only thing about this hairstyle that is super confusing is the front. Is it cut really short there, or is it combed some way?

814a8a39869856d1756caa99ffa40431.jpg

You really should go to the trouble of finding an ol' timer for a Roffler cut. The Roffler website should direct you in the right direction for your location.

Or, for Old School person to person contact, here's the company phone # on the product: 888.595.2460

Last edited:

willyto

One Too Many
You have a really nice hair I would say. It reminds me of those haircuts styled with wavy tops and slicked back sides. I hope you plan on maintaining that wavy hair on top, it looks great! Don't try to go against your natural hair on this one, I would use it to your advantage and look for those hairstyles I said. I can't find any pictures right now, I'll try to.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Also, how you comb matters. To create a bit of volume, use the technique folks use for pomps - repeatedly comb the first quarter inch of your hair up in front, while pushing the whole volume of your hair forward into the comb. It'll create that round shape in the ads. I have to do this because my hair is thinning a bit on the part side, and in order to avoid a lopsided look in the front, I have to whip the part-side up a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy