Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does the color of Aero Cordovan FQHH age?

sshack

A-List Customer
Hello, Aero experts. I'm choosing between Cordovan or Brown FQHH on an Aero Maxwell. I like the look of the Cordovan in this sample scrap I have, but I'm wondering what the color will look like in a year or so. The cordovan sample looks darker than the brown sample (which works for me) and you can see purple/red tones in the sunlight when you flex/fold the cordovan leather. I like the purple/red highlights as well, but don't want to lose the overall dark tone of the jacket.

So... when the jacket is broken in and weathered, does the entire Cordovan jacket lose it's dark color and turn purple and red? Thanks!

wdw

One Too Many
I have a cordovan Stockman which is coming up for a year and I think it's ageing very nicely indeed. It's still very dark, but has some lighter areas due to scratching, rubbing or flexing. The lighter highlights make it look even nicer IMHO.

sshack

A-List Customer
I have a cordovan Stockman which is coming up for a year and I think it's ageing very nicely indeed. It's still very dark, but has some lighter areas due to scratching, rubbing or flexing. The lighter highlights make it look even nicer IMHO.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm fine with lighter streaks and highlights along the folds and creases, I just don't want an "Aero Technicolor Dreamcoat."

Windward

Practically Family
Hello sshack . . . you called me ...!?
I think I can give you a good idea how cordovan developed, and btw, without any artificial damage or abuse.
It doesn't has loose its overall dark tone of the jacket - and in direct sunlight it shows very different colors depends on the light... I still love it so much after 4 years of wear.

Windward

Practically Family
Thanks Sloan . . . . and with a black alpaca lining its a cosy jacket if the sun disappears for a few days ...

sshack

A-List Customer
Windward, exactly what I was hoping to see! Thanks for the pics. I think some Aero's look better in Cordovan than others. I'm hoping my future Maxwell looks as good as your jacket in 4 years. I'm also thinking about a 30's halfbelt, but I think that jacket would look better in the standard FQHH Brown.

Edward

Bartender
what is the name of that burgundy cordovan and do any other jacket makers carry it?

It's the Horween Chromexel front quarter horsehide that Aero use (they also have a similar colour in Horween steer, which will age similarly) in "Cordovan". In this instance, 'Cordovan' is used to mean the burgundy colour, though other places opbviously use 'cordovan' to denote a type of leather rather than colour, so it can be confusing. If you want an Aero made from exactly the same stuff as Aero used for Windward's jacket, you want to be asking them for Horween Chromexel front quarter horsehide in cordovan.

Mark

Practically Family
The Cordovan is very nice but you cannot beat regular dark brown, it gets more beautiful with every wear. I'd go brown for my first jacket and the get a cordovan later.

Edward

Bartender
Depedns what you're after, really.... The brown is fanstic too, though I've always found the cordovan more flexible in that it wears equally well with brown or black, whereas I'd never wear a brown jacket with black shoes, or vice versa. Really, though, when it comes down to something as ephemeral as colour, if it's not a uniform, then it really is down to individual preference.

Willybob

A-List Customer
sshack. I had the same question before I bought my Aero Long Half Belt in cordovan. I was concerned because people called it purple and I didn't want to look like I was wearing a jacket made out of the hide of Barney the dinosaur.You use the term purple but Aero's cordovan is actually a wine or burgundy color, which is a red base color, where as purple is a blue base color. I wouldn't call it purple. My LHB is a few years old now. I also have a newer Teamster in dark brown. Side by side they are very close in color accept the cordovan shows a little more red. Widward's pics are a good representation of the color in direct sunlight. I thinks my cordovan looks darker when not in direct sun.

willyto

One Too Many
Aero's Windward vs the original Windward, both are lovely!

More like this original Windward. Notice the snaps in the neck?

ECvDaD2.jpg
kCSnTYO.jpg

qzvrayC.jpg

sU5Qvom.jpg

8K8qM36.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner