Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How is teacore done? Can you do it at home?

AMan

New in Town
So we all know that teacore leather is a brown hide that has been coated with a thin layer of black dye that will rub off over time, creating a pleasing patina.

I’m wondering if anyone knows what type of black dye is used so that the black topcoat can rub off over time, rather than sinking in and permanently colouring the hide black?

Has anyone tried turning a brown jacket into black teacore at home? For @A-1 ‘s Diamond Dave jacket, I remember reading in the thread that Dave coated a brown Shinki hide with a layer of bordeaux dye and then a layer of black. So it seems like leather can be made teacore without the use of a tannery.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Years ago I bought a red leather briefcase at a thrift store. I didn't like the color so I bought some black leather dye from a shoe store and dyed it. It took several years but the black dye wore off in spots just as you describe. It was called Feibing's Leather Dye for dying leather shoes, boots, belts, handbags, saddles, harness, athletic equipment etc. according to the label.

The label also states that it can be removed from hands with rubbing alcohol. You could dye your coat and wipe off some of the dye with alcohol to get the effect you want, if you don't feel like waiting till it wears off.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
rather than dye evenly can you just dry brush it to make more interesting look. if the leather can absorb water then it can be dyed, but if the leather is waterproof then the dye would sit on top and later would peel off/ flake off in chunks.

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
It's too soon for me to give any real world experience yet but I have several tests going on with some belts I've made. They all involved using Fiebings dyes. Various shades of brown (light, dark and chocolate) as a base coat then over that I used a resist on half, nothing on the other half which is supposed to created somewhat of an barrier between other coats though the alcohol dyes penetrate very well so I'll see how that goes. My black topcoats were what I'd call a dry rub, just enough into a dry cloth to cover a small area before reloading some more dye and moving on, trying not to over saturate the brown below. More than that I have nothing for long term experience, I'm a couple months in.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
but the promise is the longer you watch the more will be shown, and climaxing with a full hardcore bworn... where the ladies drink tea straight from there teapots and all those rage....:eek:

Peacoat

Bartender
but the promise is the longer you watch the more will be shown, and climaxing with a full hardcore bworn... where the ladies drink tea straight from there teapots and all those rage....:eek:
You guys are having flights of fantasy. A little ankle may have been nice, but there are so many things that are so much nicer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy