Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long does it take to set your hair?

UmmBatul

New in Town
I was wondering how long it takes for you to set your hair? What kind of rollers do you use, whether it's a wet or dry set and whether you sleep in your rollers.

I usually use the little pink goody sponge rollers. I set my hair after just wetting it a little with setting lotion. I also spray some setting lotion after it's all set. And I wear them overnight.

It usually takes me about 25-35 minutes to set my hair in rollers. I was a little surprised that it takes that long. I hadn't paid attention to the clock before tonight. Is that a reasonable amount of time or will I get faster?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The more practice you get at setting your hair, the less time it will take you. Like everything, once you know exactly what you're doing, you can do it quickly and accurately.

Try searching for threads on sets and rollers - There are a ton of good ones out there:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=44658&highlight=rollers+sets

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=45488&highlight=rollers+sets

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=27933

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34550&highlight=rollers+sets

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now that it is shorter, I have to set it to make it look vintage. I use Caruso steam rollers, it takes about 5 minutes to put them in,then I let them cool for about 10 minutes (while I put my face on), then take them out, usually about another 3 minutes of combing into place. Easy!

I suppose I must try the pin curls to see how long it will take, probably about 20 minutes to put them in and they will have to dry overnight as my hair absorbs water like mad, it always takes forever to dry. I just washed it but left it un-producted so that I can dampen it and set it before bed tonight. I plan to use the Procurler to make the curls. I will take pictures!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I pincurl my whole head every night after my shower and it takes about 20 minutes. I then sleep on them and then it takes about 5 minutes to style in the morning.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I use pillow rollers in most of my hair, sponge rollers around the bottom in the sides and back, and pincurls in my bangs. I do a dry set, combing through setting lotion and pomade. I have to leave it in for hours, so I'll either do it in the morning for that evening, or sleep on it. I always do the same set and am very used to it, but it still takes about 45 minutes, which is why I don't set it too often :-(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I use pincurl clips in the front for the roll, regular pincurls around the rest of the head, and can usually do the whole thing in about 15-20 mins. I wash my hair once a week, on my night off from work, and the rest of the week I spray a light solution of Lottabody on, just enough to moisten it up for a fresh set. Combing out and doing the roll takes about 20 minutes to half an hour depending on how many cups of tea I've had.

I will often leave the pins in for several days at a time, if the weather's bad -- my hair does not react well to rain or snow, so I leave it up in a Rosie rag until the sun is out again. If I go more than three days, though, I have to start over.

Short answer, though -- the more used to it you are, the faster it gets.

Antje

One Too Many
I wash every other day, and depending on my mood or style I want to try I pincurl my hair or use flexible perming rods.

With the flexible rods it takes less then 10 minutes to put them in.
I always wait for my hair to dry, when I do a wet set It just won't dry.
and I always sleep in rollers.

Miss Jess

Familiar Face
I'd like to try using perm rods, or the flexible snap roller things - so far only pincurls hold in my hair. It takes me between 45-60 minutes to do my pincurl sets, I need a trim though! When it's shorter, it doesn't take me as long.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I have SO much hair that there's no way I could ever curl it in 10-15 min. Wow. I also have layered hair, so I have to use end papers to keep the ends tucked in. That adds time too.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
When I pincurled my hair, it took about 15 to 20 minutes to put it in pincurls. It took at least eight hours to dry in the summer, even in this arid climate.

The hairstyle in my avatar takes about 15 minutes with a curling iron.

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
ugh..it takes an HOUR to roll my pincurls on the top hair and side hair. then I set the back in spongies cuz I can't stand having my arms up in the air any longer. LOL I've been doing this for 4 months and never got any faster at it. Still worth it though.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
~Psycho Sue~ said:
ugh..it takes an HOUR to roll my pincurls on the top hair and side hair. then I set the back in spongies cuz I can't stand having my arms up in the air any longer. LOL I've been doing this for 4 months and never got any faster at it. Still worth it though.

It's true that setting your hair makes the ol' arms hurt! Doing pushups and other upper body exercises will not only make your arms look better, but will make setting your hair more comfortable as well :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
If you think you have rotator cuff problems, see a doctor right away. Over time, they get worse and eventually, there's little or nothing that can be done but put up with pain.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I have devised a basic set that works for almost every hairstyle I do. I do it with spongies, and it only takes me about 15 minutes. I have to look in the mirror to do the top and side sections, but the rest is easy.

It used to take me about an hour!

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
I use pillow curlers with a light spritzing of a Lottabody solution every night and occasionally pin curl my bangs. It usually takes no more than 15 min.
I only wash my hair about 2 times per week. I NEVER like my set right after I wash it. It seems the dirtier the hair the better the set.

Christy

One of the Regulars
It takes me forever! It takes me about an hour to set my hair and I've been setting it for two years now.

I don't think practice has made me any faster sadly. It could be that I have very long and thick hair, or that I have always had a difficult time styling my hair. Trust me, I even have problems with ponytails. lol

Anyway, I set my hair when it's damp, using sponge rollers, and I always do an overnight set. On the upside, my sets will hold for a few days.

cecil

A-List Customer
Mine takes an hour to pincurl but I haven't been doing it very long. takes FOREVER to dry though, I'll do it at about 9pm at night and it still won't be dry at 4pm the next afternoon, in summer, in Australia. I have a ridiculous amount of hair. At least it won't thin with age? lol

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
I did a sponge roller set last night and it took me about an hour. I opted for a roller set instead of pin curls because I thought it would be faster. Ha! I really hope I get faster with practice. I much prefer the pin curls set. If I could do it in 15 minutes like some of you experts, I would set my hair every night. Too often I think about it and then don't want to go through all the hassle and time.

It seems to be the sectioning off that takes the most time. I want to try a proper set for horizontal waves, but I am afraid of how long that will take to get the rows right. That said, I could always spend less time watching tutorials and actually set my hair. :eusa_doh:

Lillemor

One Too Many
Pin curling took two hours, it never dried completely and I didn't like the results. I had bottom layers and a U-shape. I can't do it with my current cut. I can't wear any curly styles with the random and under layers but the retro effect occurs more naturally now. It's a good cut from any perspective other than an authentic vintage perspective.

Building volume in a late 50s/early 60s style is all that looks right which isn't so bad because I'm getting volume at the top, not the sides and I can use large velcro rollers and blow dry. Dry set I'm down to 15 minutes if I'm only trying to build volume on top, a little longer if I roll all of my hair up and try to get my bangs to rolled under and shape them in a swooping side style. Good luck on that!:rolleyes:

:eek:fftopic: Am I the only one who finds that rolling side swept bangs is the hardest part? Mine are cut longish, side slanted, just above brows when newly cut and I part the bangs at the side where I part my hair. Suits my face better than bangs that go the whole way and it doesn't interfere with my glasses.

I only set on weekends where I know I'll be staying in because I wear knit hats whenever I go out so styling is a waste. The retro 20s effect the earflapped knit hat gives is actually attractive too if I put the back of my hair up.:)

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
About twenty minutes for pincurls, but my hair is quite short... the only other thing I usually do is hot rollers which only takes me five minutes or so x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot