Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many own a vintage suit?

Vintage/Modern Suit Comparison

• I do not own any vintage suits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90% or more of my wardrobe is vintage

• I have recently into my first vintage suit but I don't see any difference

• Total voters

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Whereas 90% of my suits are vintage, except for 3 or 4 custom pieces, all of my shirts are custom made in Asia with a 30s aesthetic in mind. While the fit of modern suits, even most custom suits, has deteriorated, I haven't found the same with shirts, with the exception of how they make the collars. It's hard to find shirts or shirtmakers who make that floppy fused collar like in the 30s, but I don't mind the look and feel of modern shirts. My shirtmaker makes the armholes fitted so they don't fit awkwardly with the vintage suits.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I NEED TO CHANGE MY VOTE!

I got this entire ensemble last month on th' 'bay for a little over twenty bucks + shipping (where were the rest of ya'll, anyway?)
aa61_3-1.jpg

b12e_3.jpg

It fits as though it were made for me, 'cept I need a couple of inches added in the waist f/ my fat arse :eek: ...

Description: MENS VINTAGE SUIT COAT PANTS 3 TIES HAT SHOES

NO RESERVE!!!

This auction is for a spectacular vintage suit. It appears to be all from the 40's. It includes a double breasted men's suit coat and pants, pin striped. Jacket appears to be about a size 40, pants appear to be about size 32. Unknown maker. Comes with a light red shirt made by Andhurst. Size 15 1/2-16. Three silk ties. Also comes with a pair of leather shoes made by Johnston and Murphy shoe company. Size 10 C. Lastly includes a beautiful light grey hat. Size 10.5. All these items are vintage, and in excellent condition, showing very little wear. A great suit in great shape!

This is, in fact, the first suit (at 48 yrs. old) I have ever owned. If the fella had only included drawers, socks & braces it would've been "full coverage"! lol
It has no labels at all and appears to be custom. So any opinions?

RB

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
All of my 20-odd suits are vintage. Most are pre-1940. I would love to find a modern suit that is engineered with the same precision and creative thought as a suit of the 1900-1940 period but frankly I see those days as long gone with little hope of recovery. I am lucky enough to be of a size vintage suits are readily available in. In addition, the idea of a suit having had a previous life before me is almost as attractive as the cloth, details, fit. When I look in my closet I often wonder who owned these garments. Who was a ballplayer or a murderer or a pimp or a millionaire or a cowboy or a junkie etc. etc. etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24