Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many own a vintage suit?

Vintage/Modern Suit Comparison

• I do not own any vintage suits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90% or more of my wardrobe is vintage

• I have recently into my first vintage suit but I don't see any difference

• Total voters

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
In defense of modernity, bespoke can be as good as vintage in terms of cut (dependent upon tailor). The fabric is where modern lets itself down. Flimsy stuff, on the whole, though some of the tweeds being woven still are of nice weight. But if you want a heavyweight town fabric, you're probably going to be out of luck (even though Magnoli is offering some slightly heavier weight fabrics). For true heavyweight fabrics, go vintage . . .

bk

Baron,

Alas! Even as we speak, the number of tweed companies is declining. Brora, NHTC... can Magee be far behind? And this is in an area of men's clothing (country sports) that is supposed to be traditional.

But, surely that's not the point? The point of owning a vintage item (of clothing or whatever) is because it is genuinely old and has a perticular style and patina that is difficult to reproduce, not just because it is heavy?

Alan

Bertie Wooster

New in Town
My grandfather was a tailor by trade. I have inherited a tuxedo, a donegal tweed jacket, and a tweed sports coat from him. All of them contain the label "John W Mills, Sidcup and Bexleyheath". They fit me perfectly so we must have been of a similar build. The tux must be at least 40 years old, and I reckon one of that quality today would be at least £1000 to buy new. The jackets are beautiful wool tweed, and quite heavy.

Feraud

Bartender
With the many members we have hanging out here we should be able to collect more than 79 votes!
Read the poll and cast a vote / add a comment.

donCarlos

Practically Family
No vintage suit at all...
It´s impossible to find them here, I´m afraid to buy them over eBay, because the measurments are not reliable, and the worst thing - how many people were 195cm tall in the 30s/40s, with very long hands and legs?
I hope I´ll find something in Berlin...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This is a rather severely skewed set of options. How about "I have had a couple of vintage suits". I've had a couple of vintage tuxes, and a couple of vintage jackets, but no suits. The tuxes absolutely blow away modern stuff (tho I haven't tried on any of the nice $1,000 to $2,000 and up modern models). I find it very hard to find vintage stuff in my size.

Paved paradise!

Vintage quality seems to be for the most part head and shoulders above our contemporary manufacturing in so many ways. When I finally got an understanding and desire for better things I find I have some how missed the boat.[huh]

When things get settled with the finances, I'm gonna talk to Matt Deckard about a suit since I have a snowball's chance you know where to find vintage in my size!

Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell lyrics kinda says it best:
"Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you got 'til it's gone? They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot!"

John in Covina said:
Vintage quality seems to be for the most part head and shoulders above our contemporary manufacturing in so many ways. When I finally got an understanding and desire for better things I find I have some how missed the boat.[huh]

When things get settled with the finances, I'm gonna talk to Matt Deckard about a suit since I have a snowball's chance you know where to find vintage in my size!

Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell lyrics kinda says it best:
"Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you got 'til it's gone? They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot!"

It isn't all that bad really. Once in a while I have come across large, and I mean way larger than you, sizes in formal clothes. I once found a size 60 vintage tux. Having something like that cut down to fit a size 44 just wouldn't be worth it. :p So tuxedos are out there in large sizes as I think older fellows with a lot of dough looked more "prosperous" as they say. ;) They were also likely older and more filled out. :D Just my opinion based on seeing the stuff around though.
Suits were sort of the everyman kind of clothing from long ago so mostly you find stuff that would fit me when I was fifteen and not now. ;) :p
That being said, I have amassed a closet full of vintage suits, jackets and formal wear---even a frock coat or two. ;)

Regards,

J

Feraud

Bartender
Senator Jack said:
How the hell did this old thread get dredged up?
Guilty as charged!

I like this thread and thought it was about time to revive the poll and generate some conversation.

dhermann1 said:
This is a rather severely skewed set of options. How about "I have had a couple of vintage suits". I've had a couple of vintage tuxes, and a couple of vintage jackets, but no suits. The tuxes absolutely blow away modern stuff (tho I haven't tried on any of the nice $1,000 to $2,000 and up modern models). I find it very hard to find vintage stuff in my size.
The options are fine. If you want to expand upon the idea and include tuxedos that is o.k.
The point of the poll is asking if members have experienced vintage outfits and their opinion.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I try to wear at least one vintage item every day. I enjoy being comfortable. I also enjoy looking well put together or at least try to. All the vintage suits I have are both attractive and comfortable. The vintage may be slightly off size but still maintains its shape large or small. The modern suits have to be spot on or else they look or feel horrible usually both. Trying to get a pair of trousers that fit me properly is damn near impossible with modern material and cut. I just refuse to wear pants that sit on my hips. It feels wrong in so many ways. I have yet to buy a vintage pair that did not sit perfectly at the waist reguardless of fabric or relative size.

I wear a tie every day or close to it and really prefer not to carry a noose around my neck for twelve hours. I have gotten rid of 90% of all my modern ties. The fabrics and patterns and fit and ease of knot making can not be beat if it is vintage.

I also feel great wearing vests which I do most often. I don't however like having it ride up my shirt so the back at the neck is sitting like a Gaisha's Kimono. It is not easy finding one that sits right and looks good although I have found a few.

I wont bore everyone with my views on modern hats....

I do have vintage socks but they are much too large to wear.

A charcoal-ish 1960's-vintage made by Alexandre of London for my grandfather while he was with USAFE at Hahn in Germany. Due to how brutal I am on pants, my usual wear was to pair the jacket up with black slacks, leaving the originals on the hanger.

I've never worn a modern suit to know, but I noticed I had considerably more mobility in it than the stereotype of the ill-fitting modern straitjacket-suit.

anon`

One Too Many
First, a huzzah for old threads. They can be fun ;)

I'm between options: I've got more than one vintage suit, but my vintage collection hasn't yet grown to90% of my closet. So I chose option three.

And yeah, I seriously have a hard time bringing myself to wear the modern trousers, jackets and suits that I do have because they just don't come anywhere near the level of sheer awesomeness that vintage does. Just can't compare at all, for the most part.

Dread Scott

Familiar Face
All right, Anon', for reviving an old thread. Now, I'll prolly kill it.

I don't know if my wardrobe is 90% vintage at this very moment, but it's pretty close. I agree that vintage almost always beats 1970's or newer for fit, comfort, and wear.

In my experience, the clothes that fit me best and give the most range of movement (and my wearing a suit.. even evening wear, does not preclude me from climbing a tree, or somesuch - so this is important) are suits from the late 1930's through the early '60's. My 1920's and post mid '60's items are often a little binding here and there, even if they look slick.

Still, one must fill out one's wardrobe. I guess.;)

JP147

New in Town
So many folk compliment my one vintage suit and want to know where I got it from. They think it's Saville Row finery rather than charity shop thrift. I got real lucky there though, a wonderful charity shop in Scotland, haven't seen another as fine that fits me since.

If anyone can recommend great charity shops in London I'd love to hear about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24