Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many own a vintage suit?

Vintage/Modern Suit Comparison

• I do not own any vintage suits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90% or more of my wardrobe is vintage

• I have recently into my first vintage suit but I don't see any difference

• Total voters

Feraud

Bartender
If the sartorial experts have never worn a suit, is it safe to assume they cannot reproduce one?
What to do? How well do the experts accept advice from an apparent novice?
Who are the "Good and Bad" of the suit making world?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
None of the choices really apply to me. I bought three vintage suits last summer, and really like them. However, I also like my modern separates.

nulty

One of the Regulars
I am picking one uptoday actually..a 2 piece SB job. needs some repair under the back of the collar and a drycleaning but I'll be happy....I have several jackets and coats but not a complete suit......

In fact, I'm working with a guy who is partially liquidating a vintage shop. There are probably over a 100 sportjackets in varying styles of wool...maybe 20 suits of varying vintage....not sure how much pre 1960......

Many of hese items will be going to the local goodwill and will be marked down to a steal once eveything is sorted...

I'll keep all youse guys in mind.......

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
nulty said:
I am picking one uptoday actually..a 2 piece SB job. needs some repair under the back of the collar and a drycleaning but I'll be happy....I have several jackets and coats but not a complete suit......

In fact, I'm working with a guy who is partially liquidating a vintage shop. There are probably over a 100 sportjackets in varying styles of wool...maybe 20 suits of varying vintage....not sure how much pre 1960......

Many of hese items will be going to the local goodwill and will be marked down to a steal once eveything is sorted...

I'll keep all youse guys in mind.......

If there's a thrift store other than Goodwill, encourage him to take them there. A lot of that stuff might get pulled out by Goodwill's back-room sorters for sale online, and it'll never see the racks.

nulty

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
I'm reviving a long mothballed vintage wardrobe and look. I recently turned 40, and if I have to be old, I'm dang well going to look old.

I Love it! Go man Go.....

I've been trying to look like my grand father since I was 21..pyschological implications not withstanding I've pulled it off and managed to remain a functional citizen....even with the cantankerous attititude and fallen argyle socks.

Now that I am a granpa at 44 I can delve into the mysteries of memory and imagination without shame, or guilt....

And the leers I give and get will be brushed away like so much talcum....

nulty

One of the Regulars
Orgetorix said:
If there's a thrift store other than Goodwill, encourage him to take them there. A lot of that stuff might get pulled out by Goodwill's back-room sorters for sale online, and it'll never see the racks.

Most the thrifts are doing that now a day......

I use Goodwill as a generic term. We don't have Goodwill in upstate NY but I did visit them in Va beach recently, quite the operation...

I know our local thrifts cull the Vintage items if the item ever gets to the store or they let dealers get into the backrooms......

Often at the clearing centers material that looks too old or somewhat worn gets tossed into the baler so as not to let items into the market that might not appear saleable.....

Many Thrifts now post their own online storefronts....

It's all changed......

nulty

One of the Regulars
With Luck there will be plenty to go around.......

I am getting a new digital camera this weekend.......when we get this mess together and I know what's what I'll let you all know.......

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Anything in a 38R, let me know too!

Save the old clothes from Goodwill!

Support another meaningful cause!

I have one vintage suit. I wear all my other clothes as I don't want to be wearing the same outfit everyday. I have no problem with my "modern" clothes, since they still make a good outfit when put to good use.

kools

Practically Family
I think you will find much better homes for these items here at the FL than at Goodwill. I am certainly interested to hear what you have.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Feraud said:
If the sartorial experts have never worn a suit, is it safe to assume they cannot reproduce one?
What to do? How well do the experts accept advice from an apparent novice?
Who are the "Good and Bad" of the suit making world?

That is an excellent point. I have run into many people who have had savile row suits which just did not fit them properly simply because they didn't do the armhole measurement. I think much of tailoring is lost when the past is thrown to the wayside. I've seen House of Boeteng and his orange suits may be well tailored though the fit and fabric are still topped by any of the vintage suits i see on people in the swing dance scene. If you want to see how a suit looks at its best check out an old movie from the 1930's and watch how the men move in their clothes... it's not a suit on thme it's clothes... that's the thing i found with the vintage suits... they move with you. i have found a couple tailors out here who make suits that really have tha t fit and i have seen several who make the suit fitted though the armholes are constricting. If you are looking for fitted and want the mobility of Fred Astaire You'll be hard pressed to find a suit with that much function in this day and age.

If you look at the thread titled the quality of a suit you need only own a vintage suit from... well it could be a department store and not even bespoke to see what I mean by quality. Hand stitched details are nice, though when done on a silky wool they are lost. A low slung armholed easy to put on jacket is nice, though a hard to put on easy to wear jackt like the ones you see Connery wearing in the Bond movies is fantastic. Find a ma who does and armhole measurement when you get a suit made and find more vintage as it already has the style and fit in built.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Mr. Rover said:
And whatever his student budget won't pay for, I'm interested...

As am I...Matter of fact, I'm interested in sizes 34-44 as I have lots of relatives who would love (and pay for) a nice vintage suit

Jovan

Suspended
I'm perfectly satisfied with 10-12 oz fabrics... why one would want to go heavier where I live is beyond me. If you really want to be authentic though, there's always overcoatings that you can probably get your tailor to use for a suit, as well.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
I'm perfectly satisfied with 10-12 oz fabrics... why one would want to go heavier where I live is beyond me. If you really want to be authentic though, there's always overcoatings that you can probably get your tailor to use for a suit, as well.

Different strokes for different folks...You seem to be huge into the whole bespoke tailoring scene. I'd love to have the money for that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt