Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much cloth do you need for a waistcoat?

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
I have a lovely Harris Tweed charcoal black two button jacket and recently ordered half a metre of the very same cloth from Deenie McCloud from the Isle of Harris and asked her to send it to Lawrence & Foster Caps of North Yorkshire to make me a nice Yorkshire flat cap.....now I thought it would be nice to have a matching waistcoat.

I'm a 46s so any ideas how much cloth i'd need for the waistcoat?

Hal

Practically Family
I have a lovely Harris Tweed charcoal black two button jacket...now I thought it would be nice to have a matching waistcoat.
I'm a 46s so any ideas how much cloth i'd need for the waistcoat?
Have you thought of having the back made in the same cloth as the front? This gives two advantages (a) greater warmth (b) the waistcoat looks better than the lining-backed type if the jacket is removed. This would need more material, but Barmey estimates a modest amount for the normal type.

drownman

New in Town
Have you thought of having the back made in the same cloth as the front? This gives two advantages (a) greater warmth (b) the waistcoat looks better than the lining-backed type if the jacket is removed. This would need more material, but Barmey estimates a modest amount for the normal type.

My 0.02: Looks wise, I could agree. Wearing wise, having the back of the vest made of silk prevents it from sticking to the jacket. Of course, if the jacket has a silk-ish lining, maybe this won't be a problem?

Hal

Practically Family
Seems like a self-backed vest would actually be a disadvantage with today's overheated indoor environments.
I take your point, but am sure that the OP will be aware of this and/or be able to avoid such interiors. I'd rather use clothes to keep me warm and use less fuel.

Last edited:

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
I had hoped I had enough fabric left over from my new hat build but alas I think not.

Mynewhat.jpg

Mynewhat2.jpg

As you can see from photo 2, its actually quite a good close match in fabric to my tweed jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran