Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often did the average man get a haircut?

Kirk H.

One Too Many
:D
I've been corrected by the husband :rolleyes: Apparently you are correct, but they all look high and tight to me lol I just meant that they can't have hair like the picture unless they're in something like Delta.

LOL. Tell "the husband" thanks for having my back on this:D

Kirk

Kirk H.

One Too Many
HA... I'm not sure if I want to. He has a horrible problem of always having to be right :p

Ha back at you. I know what you mean, I refer to my wife as the better half, she refers to herself as the right half and me the wrong half:p

Kirk

RichardH

One of the Regulars
You're lucky Richard ... the US Military has to wear it high and tight. They can have a little growth on the top, but not much.

Hehe, I was very grateful that I could keep my normal hairstyle after basic, been two years since I got out, but I may re-enlist (my old man thinks I should go to college/university, and it´s probably a "smarter" decision, but I miss the armed forces life so bad :p)

But going back to haircuts, I think the haircut that you have in your profile picture is killer! It´s a 40s style haircut right?

rue

Ha back at you. I know what you mean, I refer to my wife as the better half, she refers to herself as the right half and me the wrong half:p

Kirk

lol

Hehe, I was very grateful that I could keep my normal hairstyle after basic, been two years since I got out, but I may re-enlist (my old man thinks I should go to college/university, and it´s probably a "smarter" decision, but I miss the armed forces life so bad :p)

But going back to haircuts, I think the haircut that you have in your profile picture is killer! It´s a 40s style haircut right?

Well, whatever you decide, I wish you luck :)

Yes it is. Thank you :D

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
According to this classic haircut poster from the mid-late 50's, a barber should be visited every 10 days.

Styles.jpg

Of course it seems that some kid, probably in the 60's, crossed out "days" and wrote "years".

Dan'l

Practically Family
Every two to three weeks is what I've always been used to for short haircuts.

Seeing how a lot of folks didn't have much money in the decades mentioned, I wonder how many haircuts were given at home instead of a barber? I know on my mother's side, grew up in the South, most of the men and boys had their hair cut by mom, dad, or an uncle well into the 1970s. I recall seeing a few of my cousins lining up out in the yard for a turn under the scissors. I remember one great uncle, born 1909, always asking his brother to shave his neck for him after the haircut.

The timing of when you went was based on several things.

How fast does your hair grow, what type of leeway your style had for length and how fastidious you were as to how it looked.

If you need it to be perfect then every 2-3 weeks would be in step with your needs.

I can recall my dad going to the barber shop that was out by the Billy Blakes Store on Montauk Highway over by Babylon for a long time. He was so consistent in getting a haircut that when he passed away his barber came to his funeral.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Part of why I don't go more is the cost. Growing up 10 bucks got me a haircut, tip to the barber, some stamps for my collection from the Post Office and a soda from the corner store (I'm only 29 btw) then later it was 10 bucks got me a haircut and a tip to the barber. Around me the cheaper place to go is 13 or 14 dollars for a hair cut! I seems to vaguely recall my first cuts only being like 4 or 5 dollars. My Dad was Coast Guard so between the local BARBER shop (not salon) and the barber at the exchange or commissary all I had to say was "Regular" and my hair got cut the way I wanted it. Now I have to explain myself every time I go in.

Matt

Part of why I don't go more is the cost. Growing up 10 bucks got me a haircut, tip to the barber, some stamps for my collection from the Post Office and a soda from the corner store (I'm only 29 btw) then later it was 10 bucks got me a haircut and a tip to the barber. Around me the cheaper place to go is 13 or 14 dollars for a hair cut! I seems to vaguely recall my first cuts only being like 4 or 5 dollars. My Dad was Coast Guard so between the local BARBER shop (not salon) and the barber at the exchange or commissary all I had to say was "Regular" and my hair got cut the way I wanted it. Now I have to explain myself every time I go in. Matt

The concept is called perceived value. As you get older the cost of many items becomes almost inconceivable compared with what it was. I can recall that you could buy a brand new VW bug from the dealer for $1999.99. Now you can hardly find a used car for that.

In my opinion the concept of barber for men was all buggered up when the idea of men's styling and hair salon swept into
the mix in the1970's.

nihil

One of the Regulars
My barber is an older guy, and went into business in the 60s. He told me that before the hippies, people would go to the barber every 14 days. If they didn't, it was common to let that person know that his hair was becoming a bit long. After the 'hippies' men had a much wider variety of hairstyles, and many chose to wear it long. Ironically, my barber said he stayed in business back then, because he chose to cut the hair of long haired men, something that many of his colleagues did not want to do. People gradually visited barbers less frequent, and many barbers went out of business.
He certainly knows his way around old school haircuts, and he's also the most popular place for rockabilly types.

Curmudgeon

New in Town
I don't remember how often anymore, but it was probably every 2-3 weeks. It was the 1950s and I doubt haircuts were even a dollar then.

Nowadays I just do it myself . . . . . . every other day.

Reunion-M.jpg

JP

JimWagner

Practically Family
The concept is called perceived value. As you get older the cost of many items becomes almost inconceivable compared with what it was.

In my opinion the concept of barber for men was all buggered up when the idea of men's styling and hair salon swept into the mix in the1970's.

:arated:

About 25 years ago I went bald on the top of my head, or at least so close to bald that I just shaved what was left there off. I keep the sides very short. All I really need for a hair cut is to run the clippers over what's left with a quarter inch comb.

The last time I set foot in a barber shop I got clipped for $20. It took the barber about 30 seconds to run that electric clipper over what's left of my hair. He didn't even shave the back of my neck or offer to trim my beard.

My perceived value of what he did was nowhere near $20. Didn't stop him from charging me the $20. Stopped him from ever charging me that again, though.

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
We had an inspection every Monday morning so EVERY Sunday I got a haircut. Marine Corps regs are 0" to 3" on top. High and tights are normal for the grunts due to it being easier to keep clean and no styling involved. Air wing is a little different. Usually their hair is a little longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot