Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How short is short? (Aero inside!)

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
The fit of the jacket in the picture looks okay except an inch or so short. I'm sure someone will be able to tell you exactly what you need. The HG-5 is a really nice style jacket I think.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Looks too short to me. For moto jackets like this, I prefer complete overlap over my belt when wearing jeans. It appears your jacket sits above your belt. Also, I like the sleeves to hit just above the crotch of my thumb and pointer finger. Again, the sleeves on the pictured jacket end above your wrist joint. Too short.

The chest and shoulders look OK but perhaps a wee bit tight.

I don't like how this jacket fits your waist. Like many Aero highwaymen, looks like its cut too full.

My preferences for fit are based on personal considerations about practicality. I like longer sleeves so the jacket doesn't hike up to mid-wrist when driving a car or reaching for the bars. I like a tapered cut so as to reduce drafts entering the jacket from below and to prevent the jacket from flapping around in the wind. I prefer some room in the shoulders so I can reach forward without feeling constricted. Finally, a jacket that hits at just below the waist is long enough to provide coverage from the elements (and road rash) and is not too long so as to get pushed up by your legs when seated.

So that's my preferred fit... but what it comes down to is personal preference. Yours may differ. Don't listen to my opinions if you don't plan on using the jacket how I intend to. Go with what makes you feel most comfortable.

Fiver64

Practically Family
Just my opinion.......

Nice jacket but looks to short, unless you never plan to sit or bend over! I personally think that jackets should, at least, cover the belt while standing, unless you are a matador!:)

jchosko

Familiar Face
i actually like the fit of the jacket in the pics--i think the shoulder and arms look great, but this is from a more fashion-based vs. practical moto wear perspective (i defer to caveman and the other guys who ride motorcycles to weigh in on that front)--but i think that if you're getting the hg-5 (i own one) you'll want to add an inch or so to the length. otherwise, it will be the same jacket as your highwayman, except a different color, with a one piece back, small windflap, and storm cuffs.

i bought my hg-5 used on ebay, so could not alter the specs. i do wish it were just a tad longer in the body. i also would have added zipper cuffs instead of storm cuffs hiding under a regular cuff...but i have since also purchased a vanson enfield, so it's kind of nice having a jacket that has non-zip cuffs.

cheers, and good luck with the hg-5. i'm sure it will turn out awesome either way you go...

Peacoat

Bartender
Fiver and Capt. Cave are right. The jacket should at least cover the belt while standing. It may be fashionable in some circles to have the jacket above the belt, but this fashion won't last for long. Then you would be stuck with an expensive jacket that is too short. Also looks a little short in the arms, as well.

The jacket should cover the belt at the waist and hit below the wrist in the sleeves. Those are time honored lengths that have stood the test of time. Fashion comes and goes, but good style will always be with us.

Motorcycle jackets need to be a little longer, both at the waist and in the sleeve length.

Just my opinion for what it's worth; others may have a different opinion.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
There are perfectly good, practical reasons for why these sort of jackets are supposed to fit a certain way and it has nothing to do with fashion or style. They just function and I daresay look better that way.

Well, you asked for our opinions and got it. It's up to you whether you wish to heed them. GL.

bobjones

A-List Customer
Gustav said:
I would actually argue against that with regard the highwayman pattern. Not sure how familiar you are with it but this jacket is a jacket that has side adjusters at the waist (they are on my waist), that's where your legs hinge as it were incase you weren't aware, if you tighten them up and the jacket is down on your legs as you're suggesting you won't be able to move with the jacket tightenend up. For the highwayman i like to be able to drive, sit down, walk, climb staris etc with the jacket done up so going much lower isn't practical at all. Also since the back panel taper is a straight line it'd end up with bagginess in the lower back. A halfbelt would be doable for me in a longer length though, perhaps a consideration.

How you can sit there and tell me where i bend in the middle is beyond me frankly, you don't seem to have a clue about this stuff. Only what you've been told by a buch of old pictures it seems.

How do i delete my own thread? I'm drunk and about to get punchy so i wanna nuke it. any idea?

I have a 6 month old or so Hwyman, and don't ride a bike (at least not a mechanized one ;) )

but I can say your jacket is too short. The sleeves make your arms look like they are dangling, and the short fit looks like one of those trendy women's short leather jackets I see sold in mall stores like H&M. Its well above the belt line, and looks silly IMO, regardless of your pants because relative to your height, it looks off.

BTW, a word of advice for you, if you are going to put up a thread asking for advice, if you don't like the advice - don't attack those kindly enough to have taken the time to do so, it's terrible net forum etiquette. Almost trolling, if I dare say.

Gustav

New in Town
I don't care, just want to delete my thread, take my toys and leave. It wasn't thwe advise, it was the stuffy and condescending manner in which some of them were delivered which have made me realise we'll never get along.

BTW, my arms always look like they're dangling, i have a 6'4" wingspan on a short torso so it's kind of inevitable. That's my wrists covered in those shots, my hands are quite unusual.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Well gee, this forum is all about having fun and enjoying our little hobby. You look a bit young compared to most folks on here. As you get older you'll (hopefully) grow a thicker skin and learn not to take remarks from internet strangers so personally.

Do what makes you happy. I think I can speak on behalf of everyone here that we just wanted to help you avoid making a future jacket purchase that you might regret down the road. GL.

Peacoat

Bartender
captaincaveman1 said:
Well gee, this forum is all about having fun and enjoying our little hobby. You look a bit young compared to most folks on here. As you get older you'll (hopefully) grow a thicker skin and learn not to take remarks from internet strangers so personally.

Do what makes you happy. I think I can speak on behalf of everyone here that we just wanted to help you avoid making a future jacket purchase that you might regret down the road. GL.

Yep.

Gustav

New in Town
Incidently, the jacket pictured was cut for a 25.5" back length, an inch and three quarters longer than it ended up after breaking. A standard size 38 will already be longer in the back and sides, by just over an inch, as i mentioned numerous times. I'm 30 years old BTW.

Gustav

New in Town
OK fellas, apologies about last night. I know the jacket is short, hence the thread title, i wanted to gauge some reactions on just how short and the consensus appears to be that it is indeed too short. I already knew that already if i'm honest. Your thoughts are indeed appreciated and thanks for the replies.

Now, the plan. I can't really abandon the brown jacket. What perhaps could be done is to extend the side panels with a side-by-side seam and add a waist band. I don't know for sure until i have a chat with Will. This would give it the extra length. As for the HG-5 i'm going to go +1" in the body which is 26"/22" back/front which is a good deal more coverage than this jacket as it is now (it's actually 2" longer except for the very front of the V front on the brown jacket) Also i'll ask for another inch in the sleeve length at 28.5" which is a pretty long sleeve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925