Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How-to: 1930s-40s party?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Looking for any kind of suggestions on sources of 1930s-40s ideas for throwing house parties. Large or small, fancy or plain. Like suggestions for vintage books from the era on entertaining that are not just about the food served, or personal suggestions any you folks may have.

Specifically looking for authentic 30s-40s party ideas in:

- planned activities / games / whatever besides just freestyle sit around and talk, what were they, besides card games (don't think they had Twister back then) - Maybe Monopoly? think thats from the 30s - had family members tell me they'd often sing - things like that

- themes common for parties of the era which were themed

etc.

I see this book but it's 1958, much later and they don't give a clue whats in there...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4586898423

Basically, looking for ideas to throw a party that's "decidedly 30s-40s authentic" as if goers step through the door & feel like they actually went back in time to the 40s where someone was throwing a party, rather than feeling like a modern day party looking back retrospectively on the 40s. A party that "walks the walk".

If that makes any sense at all...

Thanks

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Music is a big part. Depending on the size, board games are good too. I have attended many parties set in the 30's and 40's and houses of my friends and can say you will have a fantastic time. 4th of July and New years come to mind as ones I have attended and seems sometimes like I walked into the era. Been down to a few friends houses too just to play board games and (outside the time period) wacth some classic movies.

Hide the electronics and pull out the old photos and books and get some classic party favors.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Try a "rent party." Rent parties were very popular in the 1930s, especially in places like Brooklyn and Harlem. Basically, you invite a mess of people to come for music, dancing and food. They give you a cash "contribution" which (ostensibly) goes toward your rent payment.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Marc Chevalier said:
Try a "rent party." Rent parties were very popular in the 1930s, especially in places like Brooklyn and Harlem. Basically, you invite a mess of people to come for music, dancing and food. They give you a cash "contribution" which (ostensibly) goes toward your rent payment.

That's a great idea... I'll set the date, you bring the cash!

topcat

Familiar Face
Honestly for a party that "walks the walk" ,as you say, authentic,
to make a person feel like they've achieved that step back through time
effect, would be for you to tackle this as if you were creating a movieset.

Which would require an ENTIRE re-interior decoration of your pad.
Art Deco mostly, and cover all the small details. Proper period lamps and ashtrays, antique radios, temporarily remove all modern convienences that
did not exist way back when. Change your curtains and or blinds to match the past,etc. The more little details you cover the better. Put in old style phones, have old toothpaste and shaving sets in the bathroom.

Too Much? OF COURSE. BUT if you want a party that "walks the walk",yep,only way to do it. Could you low budget it and find a lot of things in thrift shops? Yes. Just clean them up and remind everyone what they see are mostly props, look but don't touch. There's no telling how long though or how many thrift shops you would have to visit to find enough props to cover your whole interior.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
The things to do if you want to have a rent party is to hire a good pianist who can play ragtime, stride or early jazz and to make sure you have plenty of booze.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Vladimir Berkov said:
The things to do if you want to have a rent party is to hire a good pianist who can play ragtime, stride or early jazz and to make sure you have plenty of booze.

Vladimir makes a good point. It seems like in all the old movie parties, someone is plinking away on a piano, and various guests are gathered around it singing (with varying ability).

I think other games included things like charades or maybe a game of authentic (i.e. not the 1950s kissing version) spin-the-bottle, ala English Patient.

If it's a formal party, that is, with tuxedos, you might consider a gaming theme, like the back room in Rick's. Then you can have cirgarette girls, and other fun touches.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Here's what we did:

For my mother's 65th birthday a couple of months ago, we threw her a surprise party. Since my mother was born in 1940, my sister and her husband turned their large, open basement into a 1940-style supperclub, called "Club Papillon," since my mother loves butterflies. They set up tables throughout the room, left space for a dance floor, and at the other end they had the tables for food and drinks buffet. My brother painted a six-piece band on the walls.

ClubPapillon1.jpg

ClubPapillon2.jpg

It was a lot of fun, and nice for my mother to see friends she hadn't seen in years. She lives out of state. We asked everyone to dress vintage, but only three of us did.

One funny note, I had loaded their six-disc CD changer with Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Tommy Dorsey, and Count Basie, so music was playing all evening. By the time we were finished with dinner and cake, folks were dancing, and one lady asked if we could put on some Big Band music.:rolleyes: I wanted to say, "What do you think you've been listening to all evening?" but held my tongue. Turns out, "In The Mood" is what she was thinking of as Big Band music.

Brad

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Music is crucial - live if possible. Home made music was an integral part of life back then.

But keep away from the hadacol, moonshine, jake and bennies.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
Here's what we did:

For my mother's 65th birthday a couple of months ago, we threw her a surprise party. Since my mother was born in 1940, my sister and her husband turned their large, open basement into a 1940-style supperclub, called "Club Papillon," since my mother loves butterflies. They set up tables throughout the room, left space for a dance floor, and at the other end they had the tables for food and drinks buffet. My brother painted a six-piece band on the walls.

WHOA! Man Brad that is Way Cool! Love the idea, saved the photos...

Thanks all for the ideas, hiring a pianist sounds like a great idea too, cigarette girls Way Cool but don't forsee throwing that fancy a party - fun food for thought though :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails