Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to avoid looking like emo / rockabilly / scene ???

Johanna

One of the Regulars
I would suggest looking at lots of photos of people who have the kind of style you're going for and figure out what makes them look that way :) I really agree that the most important thing for a look is how you wear something, not what you wear. I also think it's important to pay attention to all the details, like hair and makeup. They're very important for the overall look!

And if you don't have affordable vintage clothes in your area ebay is excellent!

And about avoiding 50s stuff, I'm personally mostly into 50s and early 60s fashion, and I don't think I have ever looked "rockabilly", so it's definitely not necessary :) Just decide how you want to look and look that way!

sophia la shok

One of the Regulars
i'm definately going to agree with johanna on this one. i enjoy vintage styles from the 30's- early 60's. i find that ruling out 50's styles in fear of being seen as rockabilly is odd because the 50's was such a prolific period for fashion.

i enjoy cherries and tattoos. in fact i have cherries tattooed. i also have bangs. but if you wear it just right and maintain a style that you can carry off really well without looking like you've just walked out of a hot topic store then you're ok. i manage it. i get odd looks from the rockabilly girls i've come across. although i'm not sure why. maybe it's my marks and spencers outfits they disagree with. hahahaha.

just like to point out that there is nothing wrong with tattoos or cherries, folks.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
"Also, an easy way to separate yourself from the average rockabilly girls is to go beyond the Bettie bangs and rolls hairdo. Though those hairstyles can be totally cute (separately, at least. I'm personally not too fond of them when they are together, which is a very popular rockabilly thing), I think being able to do pincurls, waves, and more complex rolls really is a finishing touch to a vintage or vintage-inspired look.

Hair is one of THE most important parts in my opinion. I have to wear a uniform to work, but my vintage style glasses, my pincurls and waves or rolls and my understated makeup never fail to make me stand out. Aside from compliments, I often get told I look like 'one of those hollywood starlets' or 'remind them of the 40s or 50s'. Exactly what I was going for and clothes had nothing to do with it.

:) Just my thoughts.

Jonny's Angel

New in Town
For the record, my style is somedays 40's, sometimes rockabilly, I go between the two. I have a betty fringe and love cherries, leopard print etc, just as much as I love my furs and pin curls. I think the important thing is not to restrict what you wear according to others, wear what you like.

The problem with sub-cultures is that they can be very elitist, you can't be one thing and another. I understand that there is a criticism of rockabilly girls looking generic, but with some (like me) it's purely a case of getting the look they want on a small budget. That sometimes means not being able to buy vintage or one-offs.

On either side of the pond, be it Primark or Hot Topic, that's all some people have access to and budget for. Let's not discount people for that.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
I developed my style from looking at old movies and photographs and imitating them. I think naturally as you try to emulate what you have seen you will put your own twist in your outfits. Its truly a trial and error thing, but thats the whole fun of it. It seems like you know what you don't like so your already half way there.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
All I can say is buy what you like. I will wear whatever appeals to me. If you looked in my wardrobe....you would notice I like retro type clothing. I have some vintage, some rockabilly, some everyday type clothes, etc. You can buy rockabilly clothing and not be rockabilly. I liked certain dresses from that scene, but then others like clothing with sparrows, anchors, cherries, etc. are not really me.

White House/Black market has classy clothing with a vintage feel to them.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Just to play devil's advocate.....I have a funny feeling that if we were to take a walk down the street in 1939, 1949 or 1959 we might all be agreed that the girls then looked a bit "generic" too....;)

Stoke up your self confidence, and don't worry about what other people may or may not think you are.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Sorry to rant again, but ...

It's just that I have only 2 pair of jeans and 2 winter pullovers at the moment, and they don't fit.
Don't want to go out and buy the next piece that I hate & is not fitting...
It's hard for me to find clothes that fit me on my budget, because I am tall, have long legs and a long torso, but wide hips. Jeans and sweaters are usually to short or if long enough, way too big.
That's why I have like a billion tops, tanks with no use except for the summer.

Where should I start renewing my wardrobe?
I thought about basic pieces.... what do you think of this pencil skirt??
I know it's a bit short, but could it work? Is it versatile?

Any other things I could add to my wardrobe?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Goldfish, try buying things that you could describe on the phone to your father. You won't end up with anything too complicated--just clothes that are probably simple and classic.

Buy things in solid colors that you get a lot of compliments on. Also, men's suiting colors stand the test of time pretty well.

Buy clothes you love.

As for the pencil skirt, I'd prefer one less short and less form-fitting. It's a little too sexy for most workplaces.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Emo - Ew!

pigeon toe said:
"Emo" is some sort of music that involves a lot of whining I think. ;) And the style of dress is more of a skinny skinny jeans, ironic t-shirt, square glasses and dyed black hair kind of thing. Right? Perhaps I'm a bit off!

No, you're dead on according to Wikipedia - thanks Lady Day!

What an unattractive look it is. No wonder one wants to avoid it! I for one hate those modern glasses, the little oblong ones, they make everyone who wears them look alike, and as if they were squinting.

Meggan_Lane

Familiar Face
I totally say just wear what instinctively appeals to you. That is what I always do now after forgetting what everyone else around me thinks and has to say. I've gotten flack for the way I dress from family, friends strangers and enemies and I finally have just decided I want to wear what I want to wear and I'll do it! Since then, I'm sure people still talk about what they think of me but I just don't listen because I know I look good because I am dressing how I want! Phew! Just had to get that off my chest. And I actually get plenty of compliments because I am now confident in my look and my own style:)
Just my twelve cents;)

And...I dress conservatively so who am I bothering? haha

jayem

A-List Customer
I'm going to mimic everyone else and say, dress how you feel. Everyone will judge as they see fit, and the ignorant people will label you scene or rockabilly. But...

-Avoid the characteristic 50s.
-Dress accurately to the time period of your choosing. Go to an antique store and buy some vintage women's magazines. They help a ton, plus they're a blast to read.
-For hair, invest in an old beauty school book. I got one from 1939 by Milady Academy. They really are a nice hunk of information on everything from skin, to hair, to makeup, to nails... and even medical issues that pertain to the above.
-Avoid Bettie hair, cherries, skulls, flames, dice, martini glasses...
-Overly tattooed and overly pierced is a good give-away.

Anyways, those are at least my guidelines. Scene/Emo/Rockabilly is fine if you like it. There's nothing wrong with how a person chooses to dress... but if you're looking to avoid it you might want to try the above.

Butterfield 8

New in Town
Meggan_Lane said:
I totally say just wear what instinctively appeals to you. That is what I always do now after forgetting what everyone else around me thinks and has to say. I've gotten flack for the way I dress from family, friends strangers and enemies and I finally have just decided I want to wear what I want to wear and I'll do it! Since then, I'm sure people still talk about what they think of me but I just don't listen because I know I look good because I am dressing how I want! Phew! Just had to get that off my chest. And I actually get plenty of compliments because I am now confident in my look and my own style:)
Just my twelve cents;)

And...I dress conservatively so who am I bothering? haha

I'm with Meggan_Lane, here...dress the way you feel most comfortable regardless what anyone may think or feel about you. Anyone that isn't into what you're into won't "get" you anyhow.

This advice may be totally against what you're looking for but I have a few tattoos, I dig the 50's, and so sue me I do like my Reverend Horton Heat but hey-that's me. Now, with that, I'm a big fan of music of all types (mostly old mexican music), I love classic pictures (I take more of my look from classic mexican flicks), and I'm a big girly girl. The point here is, people will think what they think of you regardless...let 'em. Just do what makes you feel good ;)

Butterfield 8

New in Town
Chas said:
But for not wanting to "look rockabilly"?

I would suggest more 40s dresses, hats with veils and suchlike. Or dress 1930's. That would cure it. Accessorise, accessorise. Just like the ladies said, though. No cherries & no skulls.

I would add: No flames. Definitely NO flames, flaming dice, flaming skulls and such. Too cliche, even for rockabilly chicks.

Excellent suggestion. It seems the key here is to keep the look classy.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I've kinda hung back on this, mainly 'cause I LOVE the rockabilly look. However, I don't have tattoos, I don't have Betty hair, I don't have piercings and I don't dye my hair unnatural shades that only come in a crayon box. Because of that, I think I get away with wearing stuff that might be more cliche (gingham, cherries, ect) because I don't do the whole look. You don't have to avoid 50's just because you want to avoid rockabilly. If 50's is what you like, try to get some old fashion magazines, the Sears books is also a good place to look at real 50's fashion, not just rockabilly.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Two of my close friends (they are a couple, girl and guy) do the whole rockabilly/psychobilly look and I think it looks great on them. I really love alternative fashions, whether it be perfect vintage or crazy 70's punk. To me, if you don't like the way something looks (emo/scene/maybe rockabilly, in this case), you won't naturally dress like it. So what I'm wondering is, is it more the look you don't like, or the connotations that look has?

I think one thing to remember is that vintage *is* alternative, and going against the mainstream is all about expressing yourself. I've kind of wrestled with the idea of tattoos, piercings and dyed hair myself, because it's something I love, but I'm a little afraid to go too far out of the vintage box, so to speak. But now I'm reaching the point where I don't care anymore! People can think whatever they want to think about me!

Smuterella

One Too Many
who cares if you do look like any of the above, just be comfy. My look (god that sounds pretentious) changes all the time. And I like mixing it all up - a bit of current fashion, a 40's dress, an eighties handbag....as long as you feel good who cares!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
kamikat said:
I've kinda hung back on this, mainly 'cause I LOVE the rockabilly look. However, I don't have tattoos, I don't have Betty hair, I don't have piercings and I don't dye my hair unnatural shades that only come in a crayon box. Because of that, I think I get away with wearing stuff that might be more cliche (gingham, cherries, ect) because I don't do the whole look. You don't have to avoid 50's just because you want to avoid rockabilly. If 50's is what you like, try to get some old fashion magazines, the Sears books is also a good place to look at real 50's fashion, not just rockabilly.

I wasn't there, but that's probably how most women really looked in the 50s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn