Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to display the American Flag properly

Erik

One of the Regulars
Well said, Paddy.

---

Let us not forget that the United States of America is not, and has never been, a nation consisting of ethnic Americans, but of new comers continually stocking our melting pot. Which each consecutive wave, as significant in their numbers as their diversity, new adherants to the flag and our tradition of honoring it are born. This "refreshing of patriotism" is alas, absent in most places, even segments of American society. The loss is theirs.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CharlesB said:
so often the flag is the emblem of those that qualify for the category of "Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels' bloody shame I think...

Exactly! In post 9/11 America, it's come to be know as "Pop Patriotism". Mindless flag waving with nary a social/political/ethical thought behind it.

We see that same frenzy in early 1930's Germany I'm afraid.

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

Tango Yankee said:
There is not a "civil" flag and a "military" flag--there is just the flag of the United States of America. Regards, Tom

Not anymore, Tom. There is an air of revolution and dissent afoot, and this banner represents those views (conspiracy theories aside!). You may not be aware of it, but those who display and recognize this flag do. The times, they are a changin'! ;)

Harkin back to the mid 1700's during British rule on this continent. There was the official Union Jack....and there were dozens of flags of dissent.

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

donCarlos said:
One question again:
Why are you americans so possessed by your flag? I mean, it has to be displayed everywhere, even when the official regulations are violated. I think that it degrades it from something "very special we are proud of" to just "the piece of cloth that´s displayed everywhere and has no real value for us".

This may be one of the reasons why we don´t usually (as a whole nation, not just my family) display the flags, even when there is some national holiday or something. But the main reason is that we were forced to display czechoslovakian a soviet flags during the last fourty years, so we´re just sick of it.

Here! Here! donCarlos. A very good point indeed. America is full of flag wavers who will chastise you for not using proper "flag etiquette" while they tatter the "Republic for which it stands".

-dixon cannon

Story

I'll Lock Up
CharlesB said:
I'm an American and while I respect what the flag means symbolically, I find the Amercan obsession with the flag to be completely outlandish and almost fetishistic..

Talk about hubris, coming from someone who hasn't done anything for his country yet.

Maybe you'll understand some day.

ruffin-family03.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
There is an air of revolution and dissent afoot, and this banner represents those views

It may represent those views, but it does not represent the United States of America. Only one flag does that, and it looks like this:

flying-flag.jpg

Dixon Cannon said:
Exactly! In post 9/11 America, it's come to be know as "Pop Patriotism". Mindless flag waving with nary a social/political/ethical thought behind it.

We see that same frenzy in early 1930's Germany I'm afraid.

So in your view the show of patriotism in response to our being attacked puts us on par with the rise of Nazi Germany? Granted, some went a bit over the top and there are those who equate all Muslims or Middle Easterners as being terrorists, but that comparison is a bit of a stretch.

Regards,
Tom

freebird

Practically Family
Tango Yankee said:
It may represent those views, but it does not represent the United States of America. Only one flag does that, and it looks like this:

flying-flag.jpg

So in your view the show of patriotism in response to our being attacked puts us on par with the rise of Nazi Germany? Granted, some went a bit over the top and there are those who equate all Muslims or Middle Easterners as being terrorists, but that comparison is a bit of a stretch.

Regards,
Tom

I can guarantee that Jews were not allowed to protest in the streets of Germany, nor would they have been allowed to celebrate, as some Muslims did, when we were attacked.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
donCarlos said:
Why not... But that´s just for one´s feeling. It would make much more sense if you display your flag somewhere abroad, eg. wearing the pin with it or something like that, showing "Hey, I´m American and I´m proud of it!" (btw, I think you wouldn´t make much success with this attitude in many coutnries around Europe... Or Japan... Or Vietnam...)
When you´re at home, everybody knows you are american...

I've lived in and been in countries throughout Europe, been to Korea, passed through Japan, been in several Middle Eastern countries. Frankly, we don't need to wear an American flag for people we interact with to know instantly that we're Americans. Unfortunately we have long been advised to take steps to not display our nationality or, if military, the fact that we are military. We are given that advice because there are some people out there that will target and kill an American simply for being American. That's not something members of most other nations have to worry about. There may be exceptions, of course, especially if a nation has incurred the wrath of terrorists for some reason, but in general not a worry.

donCarlos said:
The reason I understand is when the family is proud of someone who died in war. That is a proper reason.

The banner traditionally displayed by Americans who have had a family member killed in the service display is the Service Flag. The Service Flag is actually displayed by a family with a member (or members) serving in the Armed Forces. It has a blue star for each member serving; the blue star is replaced with a gold star should the member be killed.

onestarflag_thumb.jpg
goldstarflag_thumb.jpg

For Americans it is proper for us to fly the flag every day.

donCarlos said:
But having the flag displayed just because "I´m american", that doesn´t make sense to me.

That might be because, as is evident in this thread, we Americans tend to view the symbol of our country differently then how members of other countries view theirs.

donCarlos said:
It´s not unique, we have this code too. every country shall have. The violation of the flag (as well as other national symbols) is punishable by law.

Ours is not punishable by law as that would be in violation of our Constitutional Amendment for free speech. I happen to agree with this position.

donCarlos said:
However, there is no problem with this issue here, since the flags are only displayed by government institutions and they know how to handle it.

And to most Americans that would be unimaginable. We tend to view the flag as our flag, not as the government's flag. Perhaps that right there is the main issue (or difference).

Regards,
Tom

Dixon Cannon

Tango Yankee said:

Regards,
Tom

Tom, looks like you've veered sharply into political discussion on this one. I can't be baited into such a discussion on the lounge. Suffice it to say patriotism is in the heart of the individual who loves Liberty and the principles articulated in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights. I proudly display those items in my home and on my suit lapel. I dare say there are more than a few flag waving American's who would dispose of all three if it meant security in the "homeland", and power and influence abroad. If a citizen has understanding of the principles antecedent to 'the Republic for which it stands', it matters not what flag he decorates the pole with.

-dixon cannon

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Erik said:
Let us not forget that the United States of America is not, and has never been, a nation consisting of ethnic Americans, but of new comers continually stocking our melting pot. Which each consecutive wave, as significant in their numbers as their diversity, new adherants to the flag and our tradition of honoring it are born. This "refreshing of patriotism" is alas, absent in most places, even segments of American society. The loss is theirs.

Good point, Erik!

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
Tom, looks like you've veered sharply into political discussion on this one. I can't be baited into such a discussion on the lounge.

Huh? Wasn't it you that compared us to 1930s Germany?

Dixon Cannon said:
Suffice it to say patriotism is in the heart of the individual who loves Liberty and the principles articulated in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights.

I agree. I'm one of those individuals. It's why I swore an oath beginning with "...I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..." not once, but many times.

Dixon Cannon said:
I dare say there a more than a few flag waving American's who would dispose of all three if it meant security in the "homeland", and power and influence abroad.

Unfortunately, that is true. I'm with Benjamin Franklin on this one: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

Dixon Cannon said:
If a citizen has understanding of the principles antecedent to 'the Republic for which it stands', it matters not what flag he decorates the pole with.

And here is where I obviously disagree. Your banner does not stand for the Republic that is the United States of America.

Regards,
Tom

Dixon Cannon

Tango Yankee said:
And here is where I obviously disagree. Your banner does not stand for the Republic that is the United States of America. Regards,
Tom

"My banner" doesn't stand for anything, Tom. I stand for something. That flag is representative of my 'stance'; my point of view. It is merely a signal to others of like mind that "Constitution is spoken here" and that there is a r3VOLution going underway.

I wish more civil servants who've taken the Oath would recognize their responsibilities and quit acting like the "domestic enemies" they've become. It is usually those who object most vociferously to the 'Civil Flag' that have an extra-Constitutional agenda hidden behind their star spangled facade.

-dixon cannon

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
"My banner" doesn't stand for anything, Tom. I stand for something. That flag is representative of my 'stance'; my point of view.

Exactly.

Dixon Cannon said:
It is usually those who object most vociferously to the 'Civil Flag' that have an extra-Constitutional agenda hidden behind their star spangled facade.

DC, my objection to your banner has to do with your reference to it as still being "The Stars and Stripes" and "Old Glory" and as an American flag. It is none of these as it is not the flag of the United States.
What the heck is a "r3VOLution"?

Dixon Cannon said:
I wish more civil servants who've taken the Oath would recognize their responsibilities and quit acting like the "domestic enemies" they've become.

Under our form government, the way to deal with people like this is to vote them out of office.

{Added}
Since this started out as a thread on the proper display of the flag of the United States, AKA the American flag, your initial post was actually somewhat inappropriate as it had nothing to do with the displaying of the American flag. Unfortunately, I couldn't let your claim pass without a challenge and therefore we wound up hijacking this thread.

Freebird, I apologize for my part in doing so.

Regards,
Tom

Twitch

Huh! In my neighborhood I wouldn't care if they displayed it improperly, at least they'd be trying. The gringo across the street is probably gone for the day though he flew his flag the last 2 days as I did, but not today. Strange since so many hispanic people were veterans in the US they can't bother to fly the American flag around here.
nono2.gif

th_waving_us_flag.gif

th_usmcflagwaving1.gif

freebird

Practically Family
CharlesB said:
Personally if I had a front patio I'd have this puppy waving in front

dont_tread_on_me.gif

Navy man? The Navy flew that one right after 9-11 if I recall correctly. I did have a pic of it being raised on one of the ships.

Too wet to fly our flag today, Severe weather all day off and on.

american-flag-clipart-3.jpg

CharlesB

Suspended
Just an old fashioned libertarian type.
freebird said:
Navy man? The Navy flew that one right after 9-11 if I recall correctly. I did have a pic of it being raised on one of the ships.

Too wet to fly our flag today, Severe weather all day off and on.

american-flag-clipart-3.jpg

Dixon Cannon

CharlesB said:
Just an old fashioned libertarian type.

Nothing "old fashioned" about that CB. The principles of Liberty, for which our flag stands, are enduring and immutable. As Jefferson so elequently wrote, "..endowed by our Creator". It's tyranny in all it's varied forms that is old fashioned and out-dated.

Long my it wave.

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou