Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to dress when you ride to work

Ryan

Familiar Face
I hope I'm in the right area to ask this question. Modern day motorcycling and vintage inspired attire. How does one mix is the question. On those riding days, it's jeans/t-shirt. Those days when I need to work and DON'T ride, I'll wear my dress attire which is shirt/tie and a lid. Some days I'll wear the suit and other days a sport coat. My way to keep those taking the business casual policy way south wondering what's next.
My main issue is when I ride the bike to work. I always wear full gear (overpants, 3/4 riding coat, full face helmet and Chippewa boots). I wear the tight weave nylon stuff. When I ride to work I wear Dockers and a polo. Simple, not too hot and doesnt look bad afterwards. If I wear my dress attire, it can get bulky, hard to carry with me and it doesnt look as pressed after the ride. If it's a warm californa day, it'll be soaked. Sometimes I'll take along a change of clothes and change when I get to work. As you can see this starts to become old.
Any suggestions on what I could wear when I ride to work? Easy to wear, don't have to change and would be a little more classic inspired?

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
For anything outside of my neighborhood (where the velocity is low like for going to the coffee shop or drugstore), I'm wearing full protective riding gear. This is a synthetic TourMaster jacket and trousers with armor, meshed w/liners, and zipper-to-zipper option. Also gloves, and and full face helmet.

If you are commuting off/on in your cage to work, then leave a set of clothes at work when you drive the cage, and then change when you get there on the days you ride. That would be my advice.

M8

Copper

One of the Regulars
Riding to work almost always means wearing full gear and changing when I hit the office; that way there is no compromise - I get all the protection of proper gear and still get to wear what I want at work.

That being said, if it is a khakis and button down kind of day, you can get some riding trousers like the Draggin Jeans chinos which provide protection but don't scream riding gear. 'Classic inspired' might be a stretch though.

If I feel like riding (not at highway speed, but around town) in vintage kit, I have some 1949 pattern Canadian Battledress trousers in a dark khaki serge and a 1947ish Dutch rider's overcoat in massively heavy waterproofed canvas. The trousers, while being a bit itchy are quite classy and have a high waist, button fly, and can be tightened or loosened at the ankles with button tabs. I just need to find myself a nice original WLC, Norton 16H, BSA M20 or perhaps even an Enfield Military to go with it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy