Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get my hair cut....????

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Hi there gals,
I tried posting this earlier but i couldn't find it anywhere so my apologies if it appears somewhere random.

I want some advice really, i noticed there was another thread on a similar topic, but it didn't quite answer my question.

I have long poker straight hair all one length down to my mid back. A very full short fringe or bangs.

I love the Betty Page look or Dita's style. But i feel my hair needs to be shorter as it is a nightmare to curl and it doesn't stay in. What do i ask the hair dresser for? I don't want to go too short, but have been toying with the idea of a bob. And i have had disasters with layers. i am pregnant so the fact i won't be able to curl it all that often has to be taken into consideration.

I have a low forehead and squarish jaw line, and i suppose a fairly round face. I intend dying it red with Henna after my cut...but what shade of red lippy would i go for ????
[huh]

nyx

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure about the hair cut, but as for lipstick, I read an article somewhere that recommends brick reds for redheads rather than true reds or blue-reds. I've never been a redhead, so I don't know if this is true for everyone or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

Dracca

One of the Regulars
nyx said:
I'm not sure about the hair cut, but as for lipstick, I read an article somewhere that recommends brick reds for redheads rather than true reds or blue-reds. I've never been a redhead, so I don't know if this is true for everyone or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

I would call it true. Or maybe it is just taste. I am naturally a blond but go red on occasion, did so again about a month ago and plan to stay red through winter then fade back to a strawberry blond in spring then back to normal for summer again. I love red and love it with green eyes but it's too hard to maintain longterm. I will say though that on a pale cool (pinkish) complexion (which I have and most most natural reds have too) the blue tinted reds are a bit much and a bit unnatural looking. Bright really true red is ok but again can be a bit too much with red hair. I usually go for a brick red. Those very slight brown tone in the bright red make it to where it still "looks" like a bright true red on a pale complexion but does not stand out like your whole head is a stoplight. ;)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Whenever I go red (natural brunette) I find it depends on my shade of red, and the light or darkness of my skin..(summer or winter) IN winter with a darker shade or red.. maybe it has more violet in in it...I can do a true red.
But in summer with a lighter red..something with more orange, I have to use a brick red. Or I end up looking like Ronald Mcdonald.;)

So it may have to be some trial and error... that's the best time to go to the makeup counter and try out all the red shades.

As for the hair cut.. I wouldn't know unless I could see all angles of your face.

Good luck! Sounds like fun!

ShortClara

One Too Many
I have to have cool tones in my red hair (really blonde) for it to look best, and I keep to a cool red lip, too. Bricks are fine as well. Anything orangey is not as attractive.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Hmmmm i guess with the lippy it'll be trail and error. I am going to use a henna red as do not want to get stuck in the chemical nightmare (specially as preggers). And it will be ok to touch it up as often as i want to keep it vibrant.

Ok to help me with a style heres what i look like with my hair off my face.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

And this one is when my hair is up
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Any suggestions very welcome thanks gals:D

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Yes I would have to agree... I looked at your myspace, and I think the Bob and bangs would be adorable!

Josephine

One Too Many
I live in fear of that cat biting me, so I'm not starting a new thread... forgive me for jumping in on your thread, Cheesecakecutie!

Backstory - I've been growing my hair long for two years now, I had wanted it waist length, which I got, then I cut it back to bra strap (which is long on me) to even out the hemline. I really like my long hair, but with the length and henna the curl is near nonexistent now. I've been debating on having my hair cut like a longer version of Rita Hayworth's in Gilda. I've kind of had it that way before:

Me2.gif

but in a blunt bottom cut as opposed to a U shape. I was also thinking of the Long Length Femme Fatale from that expensive 1940's hair style book that everyone wants, but I definitely want longer bangs, and about an overall 9" length, not 6". I like my long hair! But I'm not doing anything with it right now other than putting it up in a twist with a fork or a ponytail. I really want to do rolls but may hair is just too long to start to learn on. I'm also hoping shorter layers will give me some of my curl back...

I'm not sure what I'm asking here, or if I'm just rambling on, trying to get what I want figured out. :/ Any advice or thoughts are greatly welcomed though! :)

anabolina

A-List Customer
This is so weird, I got my hair cut just yesterday into a mid-length bob. BTW, I love that Virtual hairstylist at ivillage, it costs I think $15, but it's so much fun to see how you'll look in different hair styles and colors, they even have a 40s Rita Hayworth updo that is so pretty that you can try on.

They also have a free makeover-matic that I discovered yesterday that allows you to try on different makeup from a variety of brands. I think I saw Clinique, Cover Girl, Maybelline, and some other brands that made less of an impact on my psyche :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo