Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Know if You're in The Right Bar

the hairy bloke

Familiar Face
I guess that one is in the right place if they have at least half a dozen real ales on hand pump, and at a slightly cool room temperature.

And when you ask the person behind the bar "What's good?" you get a conversation. Which you can hear because there is no music.

Does for me.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yike! I have a bottle of sweet Vermouth at home and I don't even know the brand!
I had been a Bourbon drinker for decades, almost exclusively. But eventually they ALL started tasting too sweet to me. I was at the Saloon at the Oyster Bar at Grand Central (I know, MK, one of your favorite places) and sat next to a guy having a plate of white chowder and a Manhattan. he told me it was his magic formula for getting warm on a chilly evening. So I tried it, and became an insatnt Manhattan fan. At that time I had a bourbon Manhattan, but I read SO much about rye that I decided to give it a try. And I'm sold.
I also had a MONSTER rye Manhattan at one of the bars at the Algoquin Hotel recently. So I'm definitely sold.
A couple nights ago I picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye, and made myself a drink with it. Not bad, but not up to the Oyster Bar or Algonquin standard. I guess I'll have to make sure i decent Vermouth now!

I guess that one is in the right place if they have at least half a dozen real ales on hand pump, and at a slightly cool room temperature.

And when you ask the person behind the bar "What's good?" you get a conversation. Which you can hear because there is no music.

Does for me.

I am fine with music as long as the volume is low enough so conversations can be had at a proper level as long as it fits the atmosphere of the bar.
:D

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
I've circled the city centre (sometimes more than once) and just listened for the 'merriest' and most 'spirited' bar. Vocal volume is good; musical volume, not so much. Then, I know I'm at the right place.

(And I DID visit my first hookah bar this week at the recommendation of a friend. The lamb kabob was exceptional and the smoking was enjoyable.)

newsman

One of the Regulars
I like a bar where the bartender doesn't ask me if I want vodka for my martini or if I want it "dirty."

A bar where the bartender knows what temperature control is about.

And the music isn't so loud you can't think.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Four small towns fed my old high school. The one in my home town is home to the homely. I was in contention for the cutest person there and well, I AIN'T CUTE. Caddyshack in the town down the road has a dozen wings for $7.50, a Thursday Night fried chicken dinner special, and Stag Beer on tap. I had three or four and I'm still alive so I guess Stag don't go on the bad beer list. The shrimp Poor Boy was pretty good too.

Later

Hi

Four small towns fed my old high school. The one in my home town is home to the homely. I was in contention for the cutest person there and well, I AIN'T CUTE. Caddyshack in the town down the road has a dozen wings for $7.50, a Thursday Night fried chicken dinner special, and Stag Beer on tap. I had three or four and I'm still alive so I guess Stag don't go on the bad beer list. The shrimp Poor Boy was pretty good too.

Later

Stag beer? Well, at least they are being honest about where they get the beer. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails