Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to repair my Akubra Squatter ??

dman535

New in Town
I bought this hat in Australia 12 years ago. As of let it has a could of holes that have developed in it. I took a picture of it sitting on a lap so that the size and location of the holes/tears are more apparent. Any suggestions on how to repair ?

Thanks

Derek.-
akubra.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
I can already hear it now. "See what happens when you handle hats by the pinch? See?!"

dman535

New in Town
I admit - I am a pinch handler. I also wear this thing in some inclement weather. I just want to lessen the size of the holes and prevent them from growing.

shortbow

Practically Family
I had one of those, loved it, but it developed that exact problem, continued to use it, the whole front of the hat eventually disintegrated. Since moving to vintage Stetsons and Borsalinos, with same bash, lots of years and inveterate pinch handling, they're still going strong. Not to put down Akubras, they're the best of the modern hats, but they just don't have the durability of the vintage beavers.

MAB1

Suspended
I would wash it good, dry it, and brush the livin hell out of it, saving every lil bit of felt that comes off in the brushing. Then I would put some tape on the backside of the holes and glue the excess felt in.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
One method I've seen from the bushies and farmers for their beater hats, is to stitch the hole closed, usually with big leather stitches around the crown.
It's an interesting look,
probably not what you wanted to hear,
but the truth is felt won't patch well, certainly not with holes that big.

Another method (for a smaller hole) is to get yourself a finger full of clear silicone and smear the back of the hole and along the line where the hole might spread.
If you then put the liner back in it won't be seen and the silicone will flex with the felt and help stop the hole growing.

Now, this is not a method to preserve a vintage, but would have worked fine on yours about 12 months ago (sorry).

dman535

New in Town
I am not expecting to restore or repair this thing to 100%, just want to try and stem the growth of the whole.

I am surprised to hear that these things come apart as easily.

And thanks for the welcomes :)

Feraud

Bartender
dman535, I would not say fedoras come apart so easily.
You will see that many members own vintage hats of 20-70 years old with no sign of wear in the felt.

Something to keep in mind is when you regularly handle the hat by the crown, and especially at a flex point, is you increase the possiblilty of weakening and eventually tearing the felt. Handling the hat by the brim is generally recommended.

Also, those who own more than one hat can spread the handling wear throughout several hats. This lessens the damage to any one hat.
I always use this excuse to the wife when buying another hat. ;)

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
Dman,
if you're just after stopping the hole from becoming the whole, then a smear of clear silicone sealant around the hole will do that.
You want to make sure that you don't make it visible through the hole, other than that, pop the bash out then spread a finger full liberally around the inside of the hat along the line of the fold. Make sure that you don't let it dry before attempting the rebash or it won't fold properly.

I've done this on one of my son's hats and it seems to be working well (so far). No idea how ugly it will become if the felt wears through showing the silicone, but it has stopped the hole growing (so far)

GWD

One Too Many
You could have it re-blocked at a 90 degrees, the hole would be on the side. Of course you would need to have the sweatband and ribbon rotated also.

Mark G

A-List Customer
Take the liner out, work the hat from the inside so the hole is closed and use a piece of single sided carpet tape to hold it together. Then put the liner back in. This will stop the weather from coming in and if you do it right will be harder to spot than stitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails