Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stopping dye bleeding/dye transfer from my leather jacket's belt?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
Hi, I just noticed an issue with my leather jacket bleeding dye onto my pants, or more specifically, the belt from the jacket is what's bleeding. I have a black leather Schott Perfecto jacket, and noticed my pants getting stains, like the kind you get from dye bleeding from leather onto them. At first I thought the jacket itself was doing it, but after extensive testing I discovered it's actually the belt that is doing it. In the pictures you can see there's a "hole" or gap between where the end of the belt is stitched together; I figured out this hole is where the bleeding is coming from, not from the jacket itself.

I saw posts around here and other places mentioning a product called Fiebing's Acrylic Resolene being really good at sealing the leather to prevent this kind of dye bleeding issue from occurring. Does this stuff really work that well, would I be able to apply some of it inside that little hole/gap area to seal the leather there and stop this bleeding issue from that spot? Also I notice that product comes in both Neutral as well as Black, which would be better to use? My jacket's belt is black, but I wasn't sure if for something like this it would be better to use Neutral or Black.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 113
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 97
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 100

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Vinegar will take out indigo… not sure about leather. I know that’s not what you asked.

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
I have the same problem with the black pony from field leathers.
It stains eberyything; most visibly lighter colours of course.
I wish it would bleed only onto white sweatpants, course I don't wear those.

Is that a common problem with leather jackets? It's rather annoying to deal with these things given the price point of these jackets.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I have the same problem with the black pony from field leathers.
Interesting, my brown pony FL doesn't transfer any dye / pigment onto my clothing.
Is that a common problem with leather jackets? It's rather annoying to deal with these things given the price point of these jackets.
I don't think it's common. The only jacket that I have this problem with is my FL Leathertogs repro (Italian cowhide). That leather was not designed to be used for jackets if you ask me.

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
That shouldn't happen, if you're asking me. Top dollars for something not fully usable in everyday life.
I can wear the jacket with jeans no problem but everything else is problematic.
I tried rubbing it down with a cloth to "drain the swamp" :) but without success so far.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
That shouldn't happen, if you're asking me.
I agree.
Top dollars for something not fully usable in everyday life.
Personally I wouldn't call my jacket 'not fully usable'.

Note the heavy color loss on the inside collar and on the hem. That dye had to go somewhere. When I just got the jacket it transferred onto my shirts which was clearly visible when wearing anything white. By now it has stabilized, there's hardly any color transfer anymore. I'm sure though when I'd be caught in heavy downpour lots of dye will flush out. This is a fashion jacket, not an all weather motorcycle jacket. Which is true for all vegetables tanned leather jackets imo (except for Hermann Oak to some extent).

IMG_6348.jpeg
IMG_6349.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I would say on high end custom jackets maybe ask for a natural leather inside band at the hem, or have the lining go all the way to the edge. The outside edge might still transfer some dye to the pants but at least the shirt stays clean.

Damon141

Practically Family
I noticed that Badalassi has the same issue with the dye rubbing off, the Nappa Lux version in black. I applied a little Lexol leather cleaner which is basically glycerin, applied on a swatch sample and it turned the white cloth black. Not sure but I imagine a jacket might transfer in areas like the collar especially as Marc mentioned

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I made a thread before asking for advice on what to do about stopping the bleeding of dye from this belt on my black leather Schott Perfecto jacket. The area where the bleeding is coming from is inside this space in the tip of the belt where the stitching is, I added some photos showing this so you can see what I am talking about. In the pictures you can see there's a "hole" or gap between where the end of the belt is stitched together; I figured out this hole is where the bleeding is coming from. I tried dabbing inside the area first(what I was able to reach anyway) to get rid of any excess dye bleeding from there before applying some resolene; but there's still bleeding coming from this area. Does anyone know how I can fully seal this part of the belt to prevent this? Can I just dip this part of the belt directly into the resolene to seal it properly? If anyone has any experience dealing with something like this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 35
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 35
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 38

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had this issue with a jacket and it seemed to settle after the rainstorm that initially caused the problem. It was mostly an issue for me because the hem lining leather bled.

What exactly is the belt bleeding onto?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I had this issue with a jacket and it seemed to settle after the rainstorm that initially caused the problem. It was mostly an issue for me because the hem lining leather bled.

What exactly is the belt bleeding onto?
It bleeds onto my pants when the belt of the jacket happens to touch/rest of them.

pslhit

New in Town
Candy Crush said: I made a thread before asking for advice on what to do about stopping the bleeding of dye from this belt on my black leather Schott Perfecto jacket. The area where the bleeding is coming from is inside this space in the tip of the belt where the stitching is, I added some photos showing this so you can see what I am talking about. In the pictures you can see there's a "hole" or gap between where the end of the belt is stitched together; I figured out this hole is where the bleeding is coming from. I tried dabbing inside the area first(what I was able to reach anyway) to get rid of any excess dye bleeding from there before applying some resolene; but there's still bleeding coming from this area. Does anyone know how I can fully seal this part of the belt to prevent this? Can I just dip this part of the belt directly into the resolene to seal it properly? If anyone has any experience dealing with something like this I'd greatly appreciate it.

There is a similar theme !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner