Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to starch a petticoat ??

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
If there is a thread already about this point it my way please !!!
If not..Is it possible to starch a nylon type vintage petticoat to stiffen it? And if so how does a gal go about doing it ?[huh]
Thanks Ladies

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I've had a little success with light spray starches, but it makes them a little scratchy and have a tendancy to "catch" on your skirt a little, it is cotton or wool. I like Faultless "light starch" but it is hard to find in stores, now. Just avoid heavy starches, you'll loose the nice movement you get from the nylon net.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
One of the things most gals love about vintage petticoats is how soft and frothy they are. You might actually want to avoid starching it.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Do you mean a net petticoat or a fine nylon knit?

Net can be stiffened with a mixture of sugar dissolved in water. You dip the petticoat in it then iron on a low heat. My mother did this to hers in the 1950s, but as Kitty says, it does make it alot scratchier.

I don't think you could really stiffen one made of the other type of material, if it is the kind I think you might mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo