Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Store Hats

MattC

A-List Customer
Cedar chips

You can get cedar chips in a cloth bag, and put the chips in the box (you can put the whole bag in, but I think its more economical to spread the chips). James is right that the smell fades, and you have to replace the chips when it does. I'm not so crazy about the smell of moth balls, so I use the chips. You can get 'em here
http://www.containerstore.com/brows...9853&CATID=72585&searchId=1021871&itemIndex=1

shamus

Suspended
you can also get cedar chips at any pet place as they call it bedding for hamsters...

I've got an idea on a closet system to store hats I'm going to make.. I'll up date everyone when I get started on it.

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
shamus said:
you can also get cedar chips at any pet place as they call it bedding for hamsters...

I've got an idea on a closet system to store hats I'm going to make.. I'll up date everyone when I get started on it.

I took a 7'X10' corner of my basement and put in a full-lined (walls/floors/ceiling) tongue & groove cedar closet. I sealed it with plastic sheeting (left from the bio-attack frenzie we went thru), covered that with 7/16 plywood, then the 5/16 T&G cedar. It is pretty air tight and always cool & dry.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Aquia33 said:
I took a 7'X10' corner of my basement and put in a full-lined (walls/floors/ceiling) tongue & groove cedar closet. I sealed it with plastic sheeting (left from the bio-attack frenzie we went thru), covered that with 7/16 plywood, then the 5/16 T&G cedar. It is pretty air tight and always cool & dry.

Wow...this sounds really nice. Any photos?

kbadr

Familiar Face
I have a couple Beaver fedoras. Is there a preferred way I should be storing them? I've seen hat covers (basically look like shower caps) in a store. Is it worth it to buy one to protect the hats, or am I alright just hanging them up, and dusting them off (counter clockwise, of course) with my hat brush occasionally?

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
stow the hat on its crown top and if it came with a box, use it. Other than that, its up to you. I have a hat rack in addition to the methods above.

Bebop

Practically Family
My hats decorate a few of my rooms. Hats and pipes seem to be the ongoing theme in my house. I hang all of them on wall mounted hat racks and styrofoam heads. I am afraid that if I store them in their boxes, the moths will get to them. This way I can keep an eye on them and grab whichever one grabs me that day.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Garrett said:
stow the hat on its crown top ....

:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

I've never ever understood this logic. It just is so wrong in my opinion and experience. Why would anyone leave a hat stored on its crown instead of the normal way up??!!

Bebop

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

I've never ever understood this logic. It just is so wrong in my opinion and experience. Why would anyone leave a hat stored on its crown instead of the normal way up??!!

Don't leave us hanging. lol Why is it so wrong in your experience?

I do it because the brim will flatten out if you set it down "normal way up". I suppose you could store it "normal way up" if you like to have a flat brim without any dip at all or if you let the dip at the front of the brim dip off of a table. I would not suggest long term storage by setting the hat on it's crown. I have found that the top of the crown develops a flat part that I don't like.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Bebop said:
Don't leave us hanging. lol Why is it so wrong in your experience?

lol

Because it doesn't look right and it means that a large area of the felt touches to table which is no good.

Bebop said:
I do it because the brim will flatten out if you set it down "normal way up". I suppose you could store it "normal way up" if you like to have a flat brim without any dip at all or if you let the dip at the front of the brim dip off of a table.

I never have had the slighest concern about a flat brim. I thought that they were meant to be flat. When I put it on I snap the brim or more often I have the brim hang over (the table or whatever) a bit....

Hat box is the ideal but who here doesn't enjoy having theirs lids on display??

[huh]

Are any of these hats stored upside down?

DCP_3106-vi.jpg

DCP_3109-vi.jpg

IMG_20060616_0001_1.jpg

IRMC.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Oh, please by that I have not wasted a hundred admonitions!

The rule is, as I understand it, that the hat should be set either on its crown or with the edge of the brim hanging over the edge of a flat surface. Those images all satisfy that amended version of the rule. I also understand it to apply only to fedoras, not to hats with a stiffer, flat brim such as bowlers and homburgs.

Bebop

Practically Family
None are upside down but none, or almost none, are stored with the brim flat. If you sell hats, you certainly won't sell as many if you show them off upside down. I suppose it depends on where your dip is desired. I like a little dip also in the back on some of my hats. Dipping the brim every time I put on a hat is alright with some hats but others don't take to it unless you steam and play with them. Dummy heads are my favorite way to store hats but not very practical. Even then, unless you are lucky, the dummies head won't be quite like your own head and the hat will conform to the dummies head. Otherwise, with the front hanging off of the edge is quite adequate. (Nice hats shop photos).

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Bebop said:
None are upside down but none, or almost none, are stored with the brim flat. If you sell hats, you certainly won't sell as many if you show them off upside down. I suppose it depends on where your dip is desired. I like a little dip also in the back on some of my hats. Dipping the brim every time I put on a hat is alright with some hats but others don't take to it unless you steam and play with them. Dummy heads are my favorite way to store hats but not very practical. Even then, unless you are lucky, the dummies head won't be quite like your own head and the hat will conform to the dummies head. Otherwise, with the front hanging off of the edge is quite adequate. (Nice hats shop photos).

Sorry to come on a bit strong on this - I store all mine with the brim hanging over a bit (just as in the case display above).

It's just that I genuinely don't get the whole laying a fedora on the crown thing. How can that be right? I'm just at a loss as to why people do it....

:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21