Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to tell a silk plush top hat from fur? Also dating?

mattface

Practically Family
Until recently I was operating under the assumption that all furry top hats were beaver, but I recently learned that silk hats also have that furry texture, but that they olish smoother and to a higher luster than fur.

I recently got my hands on a very nice Dobbs top hat in excellent condition (It also happens to fit quite well, but alas I need to sel it) and I'm in the process of cleaning it up and preparing it for sale, so I'm trying to determine the best methods of polishing it, material, age, etc. As for age, I'm not sure, how to tell but I'm thinking maybe 1920s to 1930s range maybe. I just pulled that number out of thin air, but I don't think it is much older than that. I did find the hand written price tag under the band and it was marked $15, but I don't know if that helps much to date it. I'm thinking identifying fur or silk along with the price might help at least put it in a range. So can anyone here tell me how to determine if it is made of silk plush or fur?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW