Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to tie a ponytail without elastic?

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
This may seem ridiculous a post for this place, but I was so curious about it and don't know who else to ask! Forgive me if it's been answered or is so obvious.

I have a lot of really fine hair, and I have tried tying my hair with ribbon, but it consistently falls out. I use elastic all the time, but I get a ton of breakage from it and I can't stand it. Does anyone know how they used to do it before elastic? What material was used or the technique?

Thanks a mil, gals.

Kishtu

Practically Family
May sound completely mad, but...

I have it in my head from my mum that string is good for keeping ponytails in place. Something to do with the fibres in the string, working with the cuticles of your hair - ribbons slip out because they're too slippery.

This might be a theory that is entirely exclusive to my mother I might add!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Try changing the type/brand of hair elastic you use. There are a lot out there that are aimed at not causing breakage. Try continuous ones that don't have that little metal bar on them.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Yep, I'd try a sting with more fibers too, like a fine jute or something more rope like.
I also second the optional elastics, I get the clear elastics from Walmart.
And never put your hair up while wet, the hair breaks easiest then.

But all of these still slide on me, even the orginal poneytail tiebacks. I just have slippery hair. :(
Nikki

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Girl Friday said:
I don't know if this will help or be less slippery, but I have used old tights or hose, it seems to be a lot easier on the hair.

That's actually a great tip! Old tights make great headbands too - just cut a piece out of the thigh.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the suggestions. I know the main reason that my hair breaks is due to putting it up when wet. I never give myself the time of day to really fuss with my hair much. Lately I have been trying to blow dry it first. I will try using rope soon to see how well that works. Hose too. That sounds like a good idea.

I have used bandanas before too, but I don't know where to get bigger ones to use? The ones I get from Hobby Lobby are always so small, it seems.

I just really wanted to know how everyone used to tie up ponytails before elastic. I'd really rather not use elastic at all. I also use clips and hairsticks, but I don't always like that look. I don't know when elastic ties came out, but surely it can't be that old of a technology.

I think the 1950s retro look of chiffon in the hair looks cute, but I never new how to do that without using an elastic hair tie. Soon, I may just start making snoods and wearing them out :) But wouldn't that look funny with my wardrobe of T-shirts and pants? lol

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Old Girl Scout as I am, I have found that the Double Half Hich (I think it is called in english) is the best knot for securing your hair with a scarf or a piece of string.

You tie it like this: Arrange the rope in two loops and kind of put the one on top of the other.

Dobbelt_halvstikk.jpg

image005.jpg

The black dot in the seond picture is where your ponytail goes. But you make the two loops first, then insert your ponytail, pull the two ends of the rope and hey presto! Secure hair! Tie a pretty bow or an extra knot if you want to.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Cool info HT, thanks!
Nikki
Helen Troy said:
Old Girl Scout as I am, I have found that the Double Half Hich (I think it is called in english) is the best knot for securing your hair with a scarf or a piece of string.

The black dot in the seond picture is where your ponytail goes. But you make the two loops first, then insert your ponytail, pull the two ends of the rope and hey presto! Secure hair! Tie a pretty bow or an extra knot if you want to.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Thanks HT, I tried it with some fine cotton yarn I had, and it did keep a ponytail, but it wasn't able to stay long, nor very high up on my head. My guess is that my hair is too slick (and maybe too long?). I will try it again with rope or some other material soon. It does seem like it could work, especially with curly or more wavy hair than mine - even with the yarn I used. My hair just has a very slight wave and is very soft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari