Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to turn a 70s DB into a 30s DB

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found an OK suit for a few bucks at Goodwill (19 bucks to be precise), medium grey wool double breasted, 1.25 inch cuffs on pants. Peak lapels. Fits me almost perfectly; I could take the waist out an inch or else do lots of situps and such for a week or so. However, its stylings are subtly 1970s. No, the pant legs are not flared; it's just that there is a general 70s-ness about it. I cannot put into words exactly what is 70s about it. The lapels are not rounded or anything like that. My mother is a superb seamstress but needs to be told exactly what it needs. Here are my questions:

1. Generally speaking, what are the large and small stylistic differences between a 70s and a 30s DB suit? This will help me define what I don't like about it.
2. What can be done to modify these?
3. Is this a lost cause?

I figure if anyone would know how to do this, the people at the Lounge would. Or could point me to the right resources.

Cobden

Practically Family
It would be good to see a photo of it being worn. I'd imagine the biggy would be the trousers, which would sit lower down then 30's highbacks, and may not be pleated - I don't think this is changable. The lapels also tend to have a slightly different shape, and the jacket may be looser at the waist for the 1970's

Dr Doran

The trousers are pleated and are fairly high - there was a resurgence of high waisted suit trousers in the 70s. The jacket may be a little loose. I'll look at the lapels too. Thanks for the input. Any other thoughts? I'd take a photo but my camera is busted.

Dr Doran

Are lapel holes buttonholes in the lapel?
If so, there is only one buttonhole in the lapel (on the peak).
Could it be the pattern that is off?

slicedbread

A-List Customer
By "pattern" do you mean the pattern in the fabric? if so, what kind of pattern is it? and as jovan said, older db suits would have holes in both lapels, not just one...

Dr Doran

Yes, I meant the pattern in the fabric. I don't know how to call this pattern. It's something with a medium gray (not charcoal) background and some thin black lines in the forefront, and a blue line here or there, and the lines are ... hmm, it's hard to explain. It's not a pinstripe or a plaid. Is there a section on this I can refer to in order that I might better describe it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner