Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How vintage are we?

How vintage are we?

• Born in the 20's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Born in the 30's

• Born in the 40's

• Born in the 50's

• Born in the 60's

• Born in the 70's

• Born in th 80's

• ...and in the 90's

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The year of the dragon "1952"

Born 1952,Richmond County,NY,Dutch&English decent,my family settled on Staten Island in 1683,Living in a home built in 1852,was built by a German, Fredrich Reissenweber,he was a blacksmith from the research I have done at the Richmond County Historical Society.My propery has the last remaining blacksmith shop on Staten Island,not working though.I burn wood in the fireplaces when I can supplimenting the gas heat,its a lot of work keeping up with it,so I am not that vintage I guess.But the fact of the matter is that the home I own is "handmade"brick by brick,stone by stone.No ticky tacky crap home for me!!!Can I be more vintage? Yes I could stable a horse and ride to work..............

metropd

One Too Many
People born in the 1920's most likely are not on the computer admitting their age on a Niche forum poll on Christmas morning.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here

So I missed being a hippie by a decade!
But I definitely remember well the first Golden Era "noastalgia" craze, now I am having nostalgia for nostalgia...

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"The Time Tunnel"

I know that as a child I loved the TV show "Time Tunnel" each week the two "stars" went through a dodgy time tunnel trying to get home, but each week landed in another "Exciting time" such as "The Titanic in 1912!!!!!!" next week Nazi Germany:eek:

I guess that planted the seeds "Hey, I dont have to live in the present?" thanks to the Puter, like minded people are able to share " Dreams, ideas and memories" of a slower,gentler, and stylish past.

I think we are the epitome of green, we recycle everything!!! the stuff I have saved from the rubbish dump by saying "Oh no you dont, I will take that home thankyou!!"

:p Must admit I do love modern day dentistry

FATS88

One of the Regulars
HEY HOMIE!

Imahomer said:
I was born 09/11/1951 in San Francisco. I was a teenager during the height of the hippie days and during the anti Viet Nam rallies and such. I lived a few blocks away from Golden Gate park, where many an anti war ralley was held. Big time rock bands often played there and I was lucky enough to see a lot of them for free... The Jefferson Airplane, The Who, The Stones just to name a few.

I was living with my Godparents, while my Mother was looking
for an apartment in the Sunset that allowed children (me):mad:
They lived on 8th Ave. between Lincoln and Irving. (You know.. near Pasquale's)
My Godfather was a Forty Niner season ticket holder,
and had found that Apt. just so he could walk to Kezar.
I too remember the anti war concerts in the panhandle, every weekend!
Man! what energy! you are of my big Brother's generation,
and are to me the true greatest generation...you really did change the world,
And you did it with LOVE.

Double double cheers to you Baby Boomer A's

Fats

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
1962 here. I was born a little too late in the boomer era. Every time I got to a certain age the leading edge of the boomers was on to something else. Fortunately I grew up watching lots of old movies on tv. So now I am timeless.

LynnLaBlanc

New in Town
I think I am the youngest here- early 1990's

i think being surrounded by all the grungy flannel shirts and overals made me into the vintage lover I am...
that and my mom taught me to read with the subtitles on old black and white silent films:)

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
May 1990.

I got into the 30s/40s because my grandparents are/were the greatest people I have ever met in my life. Maybe I'm romanticizing things, but I think that for the most part people were more polite then, not to mention better groomed :)
Plus, I love the music! My grandfather was a fabulous dancer, and he met my grandmother at a dance hall which is still in my town now, though it's used for functions...I had my senior prom there. All I could think of was how cool it would be if everyone was swing dancing instead of being outright lewd on the dance floor.

I honestly think I could have been born around 1925...yes, that would suit me just fine :)

Good points reminding me about details I forgot to mention, young* Miss Lau Mo.

I too was roped in because of my grandparents, in my case specifically because of being raised by them for most of my early years--I have very little memory of that time thanks to a nervous breakdown with near-total amnesia and most of what few memories I have seem to center around my late grandfather for some reason, and while it may have taken a while to reassert itself between my first and second overhauls, his influence on me is undeniable. (Although I think I dress a little better than he did; can't say I blame him, though, spending his last years as one of the local Navy Yard's tool- and diemakers...)

*Meant favorably--ten years on the clock ain't much, it's the age in the heart I refer to here; I have a favorite quote on this which I'd be happy to cite via PM if interested

See Indy and raise with a then-70-something semi-youngster since dubbed "American Caesar":

"People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul. Worry, doubt, self-distrust, fear and despair—these are the long, long years that bow the head and turn the growing spirit back to dust. Whatever your years, there is in every being's heart the love of wonder, the undaunted challenge of events, the unfailing child-like appetite for what next, and the joy and the game of life. You are as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair. In the central place of every heart there is a recording chamber; so long as it receives messages of beauty, hope, cheer and courage, so long are you young. When the wires are all down and your heart is covered with the snows of pessimism and the ice of cynicism, then and then only are you grown old—and then, indeed, as the ballad says, you just fade away."--Douglas MacArthur, on his 75th birthday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic