Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How we dress and what we drive

benstephens

Practically Family
ThesFlishThngs said:
Oh dear, this has suddenly become my dream car! If only a. they were available in the US, and b. came with a stick rather than auto.

*sigh, swoon*

Yes, that is the dream car of Miss Sis as well. A friend of ours has just bought a cream and green one, and loves it.

I still aspire to be a Bentley Boy. The speed, the power, and the bugs in the teeth......

http://www.autointell-news.com/euro...tley-history/4-5-litre-Blower-Bentley-390.jpg

Kindest Regards

Ben

NathanJD

New in Town
Hello all! this is my first post :D it's nice to meet you all! this is a truely amazing forum! i thought i'd start here:

this is the dream:
conc20.jpg

It's a Rover P5B coupé - the first production car to sport the famous rover v8 engine all 3.5 litres. yum. i've wanted one of these since i saw it featured on Top Gear of all TV programmes!

This is the reality:
DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

We're very proud of her and i think she has some lovely vintage inspired curves for such a modern car! it's a bit more environmentally friendly as it's a 2 litre diesel. enjoy! :)

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
DerMann said:
leftsidee.jpg

I went from driving a 1993 Geo Metro hatchback with 1.0L 3 cylinder 54hp engine to a 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with a 5.7L V8 LT1.

I dress more or less the same, though. Jacket, trousers, shirt, fedora, and tie. In the Geo, though, I could not wear my fedora in the car. The Cadillac allows for a much higher ceiling, so I can get away with wearing any of my hats.

Also, AC keeps me from taking my tie or jacket off.

Filling the 23 gallon tank is quite the financial experience. Worth it in every way, though.
Ah, a fellow Cadillac man. How is the ride and power steering on that girl?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I currently own a 2004 Subaru Outback Wagon. It's not fancy, but it gets great gas mileage, handles like a dream in bad weather and can haul 2 60+ pound dogs in the back. I've already owned one of my dream cars, but she meet her end back in '95.
1976 VW mini-bus
yankee_boy_basin-bus3.jpg

I would love to have a Karman Ghia, but that would have to wait until the huge dogs have passed on and I no longer have to haul kids around.
vw_karmann_ghia_1_ra08.JPG

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Nathan, there are many who might argue the dream and the reality cars in close contest.

And welcome, we're pleased to have you here.

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
Here's my little pride and joy! A 2003 Mini One...not the most classic of cars but a true dream to drive and easy on the petrol! She's due her NCT in 3 weeks :( Here's hoping she passes!
26103_109396352409653_100000178665871_229819_1119060_n.jpg

Just out of curiosity, Miss O&O, how many km/liter do you get? I'm trying to work up fuel-economy refits for a couple '80s-vintage vehicles, and beating the Mini's is my "Stage 1" target. (The ultimate goal? Beat the Prius with an '83 Trans Am while still having respectable performance, and push a Ford Crown Victoria into fuel-econ numbers that beat most economy-cars despite being a 2-ton boat.)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Just out of curiosity, Miss O&O, how many km/liter do you get? I'm trying to work up fuel-economy refits for a couple '80s-vintage vehicles, and beating the Mini's is my "Stage 1" target. (The ultimate goal? Beat the Prius with an '83 Trans Am while still having respectable performance, and push a Ford Crown Victoria into fuel-econ numbers that beat most economy-cars despite being a 2-ton boat.)

I really want to know when you do it!!! Seriously.:D

:eek:fftopic: It's gonna be an "interesting" job to put it mildly, given that the first step is stripping down every last gram of weight possible and doubly so to offset around 150-200# of computers, guns and ammunition going into each trunk... not to mention full fuel in the downright-huge extended-range tanks. (Which will be 24 gallons on the T/A, and probably between "cruise" and "reserve" tanks around 30 on the Crown Vic; normal on both is around 15--the idea is that between high-economy drivetrain and huge tanks, the only limit on range becomes driver endurance, much like how the big endurance limits on a nuclear-powered ship are food and toilet-paper.lol )

I should also note that the costs of tearing the vehicles down to the last nut, bolt and screw and then totally re-engineering them (probably the only OEM piece left will be the VIN-number plate) will cost far more than I'll save in fuel costs over my lifetime--the Crown Vic is actually going to be proof-of-concept, the T/A will be the end development because of the artificial-intelligence I intend for it to host someday. (That's the real value to me other than bragging rights and smacking down the truly nasty Holier Than Thous among "green car" drivers--limiting fuel cost per mile plus a redesign to ease maintenance will allow KARR's trust-fund left in my will to last a lot longer, placing less burden on the AI to find its own employment arrangements.)

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Here's what I've been driving around since 2003. I guess you can call this a bit retro. :eusa_clap

DSC00769.jpg

It's this V8 sticker that gets them every time. It comes from the Ford factory.
DSC00773.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner