Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How You Gonna Cook That Bird?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
What's your secret for a perfect turkey? Mine goes into the brine Wednesday night, and is basted with white wine and butter.

What kind of stuffing do you want? :)

I'm supposed to make an appetizer of small crab cakes also. If I'm doing all this, someone else better make sure the bar is stocked!

panamag8or

Practically Family
The soon-to-be-ex Mrs. panamag8or stuffs little pockets in the meat with a paste of olives, garlic and other spices, then puts butter under the skin. It's really good, but she is feeding our daughter's softball team this year, so I don't get any.:mad:

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I recently got a new gas grill with a rotisserie. So I got a 9lb turkey that I'm going to cook on it. I've already done chickens, Cornish hens and a pork roast.
Bob.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
This year, looks the menu's ham. Mrs. PG's recipe sounds really good, but some year I'm gonna try something I saw at Deep Fried Live!... (click the Turkey link on that link, and be ready with Kleenexes to dry your eyes from laughing, and your fastest point-and-click finger... gives "playing with one's food" a whole new meaning!lol

A ham will join our turkey this year. I make a killer Coca-Cola basted ham.:essen:

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
Sausage meat and Sage and Onion stuffing, butter under the skin, bacon draped over the top of the bird, cooked with stuffing balls and bacon wrapped chipolatas

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'd best figure it out quick since today I got roped into cooking Thanksgiving dinner for several of my friends who aren't traveling! Did a huge shopping trip tonight.

I usually do the butter/wine basting thing over cheesecloth for the turkey, no brining for me. I use a friend's recipe for an Italian inspired stuffing (Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix, onions, garlic, parsley, salami, and parm. cheese).

As for the rest; mashed potatoes, broccoli, and by request sweet potato casserole (I refuse to use marshmellows though!). Pumpkin pie and apple crisp for dessert.

The good news is I'll have leftovers (yay!).

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I'm in charge of making the turkey again this year--I use a recipe I found from Sandra Lee (once in a while she's useful! ;) ) in which I mix butter with onion packet soup and various herbs, freeze it, cut it into rounds, and slide the pieces under the skin. The glorious bird is then buttered on the outside, set on a bed of various vegetables and stuffed with Mrs. Cubbinson's stuffing, onions and celery. I also make a lovely sweet potato casserole with apples and maple syrup, and pumpkin bread. I'm so excited!

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
SouthWestern Turkey ~ My husband marinates it in an amazing array of flavors for two days & bakes it.
I make a SouthWestern Stuffing with fresh made cornbread, fresh cooked tamales, & such.
It's really quite delicious and I look forward to it!

eightbore

Suspended
Greek style stuffing containing rice, hamburger, pork sausage, pine nuts, white raisins, black raisins, chicken broth and chestnuts. Just the thing to annoy militant vegetarians like my sister in law....stuffing a bird with three other kinds of meat.

:D :D :D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
How I cook the bird?

It's very simple: I dont!

Over here we don't do Thanksgiving - so no turkey!
We've had Halloween pushed down our throat - that must be enough for the time being.;)

Starius

Practically Family
Has anyone ever done the "Turducken" for thanksgiving?

We did that about 3 years ago, and it was fantastic... but a heck of a lot of work to prepare, so will probably be a few more years before we try that again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy