Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Howard Hughes

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Now we know. His hat was a Whippet.

hugheswhippet.jpg

whippet2.jpg

Hmmmm.... Well, we know that the hat in those particular photos is a Whippet. And, if the auction info bears out, that particular Whippet may well have belonged to Howard Hughes.

But, for the sake of discussion, I'll make the following proposition: The Whippet depicted in those auction photos is NOT the same hat as the lid in this photo:

HowardHughesHat.jpg

I say this because, to my eye, the edge binding on the Spruce Goose lid is wider than the 3/8" edge binding on a Whippet. Notice, in particular, the width of the edge binding on the bottom of the brim. Seems to me that this particular edge binding is more in the neighborhood of 5/8" and bears a stronger resemblance to the look of this Knox Premier (5/8" edge binding):

KPRt.jpg

In the end -- who knows? But, it would surprise me if the Spruce Goose hat were a Whippet...

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
I agree Jimmy.

On July 7th, 1946 Hughes crashed the XF-11. He was wearing his lucky fedora.

xf11hughescp.jpg

The only flight of the H-4 (the "Spruce Goose") was in 1947.

HowardHughesHat.jpg

And for his last time at the controls in 1973, he had his aides get him a replacement for his lucky fedora so he could fly.

So I dont think it was the same hat all along. There was at least three hats. And there may have been a Marathon, or one of the other Whippet like hats in the mix.

Last edited:

suitedcboy

One Too Many
"And for his last time at the controls in 1973, he had his aides get him a replacement for his lucky fedora so he could fly."

Mr. Hughes' worth just went way up in my book.

I do agree the pictured hat is not a Whippet with that edge binding.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Here's another "Spruce Goose" shot -- note the wide edge binding. I have to say, this is the hat I always associate with Howard Hughes...

hughesSG.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Me too, I would believe that this is the bound edge fedora he got after the XF-11 crash.

Yeah, the hat used in the XF-11 wasn't so lucky after all.;) He probably wanted the Spruce Goose to get up in the air and stay up. On a side note, if you ever get to go to Oregon, visit the Spruce Goose at the Evergreen flight Museum. That old bird is impressive. You can't gage how massive that thing is until you're standing next to it. They comfortable park a B-17 under one of it's wings.

Now back to our usual programming.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
Yeah, the hat used in the XF-11 wasn't so lucky after all.;) He probably wanted the Spruce Goose to get up in the air and stay up. On a side note, if you ever get to go to Oregon, visit the Spruce Goose at the Evergreen flight Museum. That old bird is impressive. You can't gage how massive that thing is until you're standing next to it. They comfortable park a B-17 under one of it's wings.

Now back to our usual programming.

Cheers!

Dan
Hey Dan... he did survive!!!!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
As I'm constantly having a hard time trying to find nice vintage (pre-50's) suits that would fit my gangling (6'1") self, I keep being amazed to actually see vintage photos of men sporting a similar lanky frame.

Where have all those long suits gone, long time passing...? ;)

Lodhu.jpg

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I'm constantly having a hard time trying to find nice vintage (pre-50's) suits that would fit my gangling (6'1") self, I keep being amazed to actually see vintage photos of men sporting a similar long frame.

Where have all those long suits gone, long time passing...? ;)
Lodhu.jpg

I don't believe there were many 6' 1" people in those days. They were thin, but not necessarily tall. A race of Hobbits. I think you're in for a long search, so pack a lunch.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I don't believe there were many 6' 1" people in those days. They were thin, but not necessarily tall. A race of Hobbits. I think you're in for a long search, so pack a lunch.

You're right - there weren't many around back then. Howard Hughes was a rare beast with his 6'4", as was Jimmy Stewart (around 6'3" if I'm not mistaken).

Patience is a virtue, they say... :rolleyes:

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Genius of a man, made the trip to Oregon a few years back, stopped in at the Evergreen Musuem and saw the Spruce Goose. Beyond Impressive!!! Visited the in-laws too....not as impressive!!! If you're ever that close to Evergreen museum you should shoot out to Tillamook Or, and visit the Air Musuem in that town. Not sure of the name but you can't miss the Blimp Hangers !
Insanely Large!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit