Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Howdy, ladies! Another Texan signing in!

Sunny

One Too Many
ITG, we must be really close! I'm just south of Green Oaks, between Cooper and Bowen. I would have gone to Mansfield HS. I say would have - I was homeschooled K-12. ;)

Thanks, Bookie! I'll definitely share when it's done. It'll be a couple months; there's a good bit of work to do yet, and I've other projects as well as school. Yep, you might say I'm busy!

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Sunny wrote:

"Currently I'm making a Vintage Vogue 1949 suit out of navy wool satin. It's on hold until this wicked Texas heat cools off... like maybe November...
"

I've never heard of wool satin before; what does it look like?

It looks like it's finally starting to cool down a bit. The Old Farmer's Almanac forecast says it should only get up to 96 degrees today. Brrrrr! :p

--Leslie

Sunny

One Too Many
Leslie, wool satin is just that - wool in a satin weave. :p It's almost a twill weave, especially on the reverse, but on the front there are warp (lengthwise) threads "floating" over weft threads. Instead of going up and down, over and under each weft thread in order, the warp threads will "jump" maybe 3 weft threads, go under 1, over 3, etc. This is what gives satin that super-smooth feel and its reflective quality; there's more unbroken surface area to reflect light. These longer warp threads can catch easily, though; that's why silk or polyester satin pulls and snags at the drop of a hat. Sateen is cotton in a satin weave.

I got the wool satin from Class Act Fabrics. It's definitely not tropical-weight, but though the weave is dense, it's not particularly thick. It was a dream to cut out! I originally was looking for material for an 1860s riding habit, and when I found this stuff I got plenty of extra for a suit. I'm lining it with China silk. Yes, I'm a fiber snob. :D

And on the weather - On Tuesday, I came out of my work building, west side door - and the breeze was cool! I was all set for that hairdryer blast, but it wasn't there! I'm looking forward to some rain. Although I hope the lightning doesn't start grass fires. There are trees dying all along I-20 and 820.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
ITG, we must be really close! I'm just south of Green Oaks, between Cooper and Bowen. I would have gone to Mansfield HS. I say would have - I was homeschooled K-12. ;)
Haaaa! We're maybe 2 miles from each other. I'm PMing you.

Baggers

Practically Family
Pardon the intrusion from another male, but welcome to the lounge Sunny from another DFDubyer and native born Texian. I'm over on the Northeast side of the Metromess up in Allen.

Fortworthgal, my wife and I need to check out that hanger dance, it sounds like a lot of fun. I've just about got my pre war Army class B uniform sorted out and it would be nice to have an occasion to wear it.

Well, I'll let you girls get back to your conversation. Enjoy the Lounge Sunny, it's a great group of people here!

Cheers!

Sunny

One Too Many
Wow, ITG! That's got to be less than 2 miles. I drive past you all the time.

Thanks, Daisy and Baggers! I'm having a great time already. I've got a friend from A&M up in Allen, and I've ventured out to visit her once. It's quite a trek!

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Girl Friday wrote:

"Hey, they mentioned a Swing Dance contest on the news this morning but I was running late so didn't get the rest of the info. does anyone know about this?

And welcome, I was born in Greenville and live in the Lakewood area. My boyfriend works for the Hall of State or the Texas History museum, is also a native Texan, he is trying to get them to do some events down there I am glad to know if I post an event I can get some folks from the Lounge there!

The Hall has Texas Heros up right now, and the State Fair is just around the corner! "

I see "Running With Bonnie and Clyde" starts in December. That looks like it would be a fun tour!

--Leslie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24