Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Howdy, ladies! Another Texan signing in!

Sunny

One Too Many
I stumbled on this forum sometime last week. I love that y'all's favorite years are definitely pre-1950! Nothing wrong with things after that, but style changed so much. Anyway, I've been browsing and reading, and I'm finally around to introducing myself!

I'm not only living in Texas, I've always lived in Texas, in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. (Except for four years at Texas A&M.)

I grew up with a huge interest in World War II. Although I now work in the aerospace industry, I'd wager I still know more about 1940s combat aircraft than about modern planes. My biggest historical interest for the last 10 years has been 1860s reenacting. I've made my own wardrobe for that practically since I started. So I have a good bit of sewing experience, although "new" inventions like zippers still scare me!

I've always loved vintage style, so right now I'm trying to incorporate it into my current wardrobe without being too out there. Not that I mind being stared at! And it's hard not to stress over "authenticity." But between a full-time job and grad school, most of my effort has to go into the 1860s.

Nevertheless, I've been adding to my wardrobe this past year, both through sewing and ebay. Of course, shoes are my favorite vintage accessory! They're a great way to add that vintage flavor. Currently I'm making a Vintage Vogue 1949 suit out of navy wool satin. It's on hold until this wicked Texas heat cools off... like maybe November...

Besides the clothes, my biggest vintage love is Old Time Radio. Any other OTR lovers in the Power Room or Lounge at large? I've picked up so many colloquialisms and lots of lingo, not to mention details of day-to-day life that 1860s reenactors would kill for. I've also learned so many new actors and actresses - it's great to recognize somebody in an entirely different series and character. Plus there are the times when film actors show up, either in their own shows or as guest stars. Jimmy Stewart had an excellent Western show called "The Six Shooter"; Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall starred in "Bold Venture." My favorite is Dick Powell, who in the film Murder, My Sweet played Philip Marlowe. His radio show "Richard Diamond" is definitely my favorite detective series, and I've listened to quite a few!

OK, I think I've rambled on enough.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Where in DFW are you? I'm in Arlington. Welcome to the lounge. Our little DFW ladies group is growing. I too grew up in Texas, specifically DFW except for 4.5 years down at Baylor. Sic 'Em Bears!

Sunny

One Too Many
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm in Arlington too, ITG. Born an' bred there! But I really get around more in Fort Worth, because the Arlington city council has something against fixing the roads. I'd much rather drive to the far side of Tarrant County than the other side of Arlington!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Welcome! I just joined recently too and I live in North Dallas. We are getting a lot of people from Dallas, we will have to all get together! ITG, I live at Preston and Frankford, probably right by your fiance!

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Hey, they mentioned a Swing Dance contest on the news this morning but I was running late so didn't get the rest of the info. does anyone know about this?

And welcome, I was born in Greenville and live in the Lakewood area. My boyfriend works for the Hall of State or the Texas History museum, is also a native Texan, he is trying to get them to do some events down there I am glad to know if I post an event I can get some folks from the Lounge there!

The Hall has Texas Heros up right now, and the State Fair is just around the corner!
http://www.dallashistory.org/

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Girl Friday said:
Hey, they mentioned a Swing Dance contest on the news this morning but I was running late so didn't get the rest of the info. does anyone know about this?

I generally keep up pretty well with all the swing events in the area, but I haven't heard anything. There are regular swing dances in Dallas and Ft Worth, though. I'll see what I can find out!

We have our big WWII hangar dance in Fort Worth October 14 - its a major event in this area:
http://www.vintageflyingmuseum.org/events.htm#dance

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
If you'll pardon the male intrusion, just wanted to say "Hi!" and welcome our newest D/FW Lounger! I'm in downtown Fort Worth, myself. I think you'll like it around here! Welcome!

Sunny

One Too Many
Wow, I feel so welcome! :)

LizzieMaine said:
Anybody who quotes Doc Long in her signature is a pretty darn high class gal! Greetings from a radio enthusiast/historian/author!

Huzzah, someone who knows that it's about! Tell you what, I've run across Barton Yarborough in a couple other radio bit parts, and he's always got that Texas accent. I'm afraid to check if he's a native or not (nothing like busting a bubble!), but it surely sounds like it!

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
fortworthgal wrote:

"I generally keep up pretty well with all the swing events in the area, but I haven't heard anything. There are regular swing dances in Dallas and Ft Worth, though. I'll see what I can find out!

We have our big WWII hangar dance in Fort Worth October 14 - its a major event in this area:
http://www.vintageflyingmuseum.org/events.htm#dance
Today 09:39 AM"

My husband and I are interested in going to that hangar dance.

Fortworthgal, can you recommend a place for swing dance lessons?

--Leslie

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
If you're in Dallas, try Dallas Swing Dance Society: http://www.dsds.org/

In Fort Worth, the place to be is the Southside Preservation Hall, 1519 Lipscomb, every Tuesday night at 8, $4 at the door. Both of those are the least expensive and best lessons around. Both locales have a 1-hour lesson, then social dancing for 3 hours after so you can practice your steps. I'm not sure about Dallas, but Southside rotates on a 2-week basis, so for 2 weeks you'll work on collegiate shag, 2 weeks of balboa/bal-swing, 2 weeks of lindy, 2 weeks of charleston, etc.

If you're an absolute beginner and need something a little slower-paced, try Fort Worth Swing Dance Syndicate's Friday night lesson & dance:
http://fwsds.org/classes.php

They teach the basic single-step East Coast for beginners every time. That is the basic swing step that'll have you on the floor and dancing in minutes. Then you can add on with some of the fancier stuff. Heck, they even make swing dance instructional videos you can pick up from the local library! My husband has learned some steps from me, but he doesn't like attending classes, and so we've rented some videos to help him along a bit.

Honestly though, even if you don't know how to dance, you'll have a good time at the hangar dance. The atmosphere is fantastic, and there'll be plenty of people out there two-stepping and who knows what else (although swing looks better!) :) I used to teach Irish dance, and it is entirely about technique and being focused - one of the things I love about swing dance is that it truly is more about attitude.

I hope this helps!

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
The Southside Preservation Hall classes sound like the most fun, but I already have a Tuesday night dance class in Fort Worth. :p

I am a very experienced dancer, but my husband is not, so we would probably need fairly slow-paced classes, at least for a while. I don't want him to get frustrated.

I'll check out all those links.

Thanks, fortworthgal!

--Leslie

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm in Arlington too, ITG. Born an' bred there! But I really get around more in Fort Worth, because the Arlington city council has something against fixing the roads. I'd much rather drive to the far side of Tarrant County than the other side of Arlington!
Oh cool! Where abouts? I'm near the Parks Mall off of Cooper. I went to Martin High. Maybe we've seen each other around town and never knew it.

texasgirl said:
Welcome! I just joined recently too and I live in North Dallas. We are getting a lot of people from Dallas, we will have to all get together! ITG, I live at Preston and Frankford, probably right by your fiance!
Sweet! He lives near the Albertsons. So he's like less than 2 miles from you. After October 21st, he'll be here in Arlington though.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
RaasAlHayya said:
The Southside Preservation Hall classes sound like the most fun, but I already have a Tuesday night dance class in Fort Worth. :p

I am a very experienced dancer, but my husband is not, so we would probably need fairly slow-paced classes, at least for a while. I don't want him to get frustrated.

If you're experienced, you'll probably pick up swing easily. After years of Irish, I caught onto swing really quick because it was so much simpler. That probably sounds snotty, but I don't intend it to - just the footwork is sooo much less complicated! My husband has no dance experience so it is harder for him to pick things up and he gets frustrated. A video might be the best way for yall to start, or have you learn a couple steps and then teach them to him - that's what we did.

book_lover

Familiar Face
Hello Sunny :) Waving at you all the way from sunny Scotland! You sound so busy....... can't wait to see a pic of this suit. Looking forward to chatting

Bookie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24