Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Huckle Black Fedora

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I had a Huckel fedora and the felt was very nice,soft and pliable. I don't know how old it was as I got it off ebay. However, having seen new Borsalino's, I can tell you I would rather have the Huckel. The felt was much higher quality than anything Borsalino offers now.

fedoralover

Winkydink

Familiar Face
huckle and tonak: the link

http://www.tonak.com/ang/tonak.html

In 1799, young journeyman Johann Nepomuk Hückel was admitted to the Guild and soon afterwards opened a millinery shop. The quality of his products matched that
of previous handicraft and the new products soon penetrated the Austrian and other foreign markets.

In 1865 Johann Nepomuk Hückel installed new machinery and equipment, pioneering mechanized production of fur felt hats. Two years later, he built
a large factory fully equipped with modern machinery.
On January 1, 1869, the business was taken over by the public company
J. Hückel and Sons and kept this name until it was nationalized and TONAK,
a state-owned enterprise, was established. In 2001, Tonak bought Fezco’s Headwear Division and became one of the world’s largest manufacturers
of a comprehensive assortment of headwear.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I've seen some Tonaks and some of the Polish ones and they're nice enough, generally Rabbit, Hare or a blend of the two.
the problem I've seen, for my preferences anyway, is that they don't seem to have any 'taller' straight crowned models- they tend to be medium height and slightly tapered- not SO vintage looking. If they could make some more vintage ones that would be cool. They make a few different finishes; velour, suede and smooth.
I made some enquiries and received a couple of samples and as I said, they seem nice enough quality for a relatively cheap hat.
I'll see if I can get anything in a better shape from them.

B
T

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
BT, that is exactly the way mine was. The felt was great but I didn't care for the block of the crown. I sold it to a friend of mine who didn't care.

fedoralover

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'll try and get a camera this week and take a pic or 2 of the hat in question.
I steamed it out and re shaped it- lowering it a little with a C-crown and some rake to lose a bit of taper. It has a 2.5" brim and has about 4.5" of crown at present. The brim was also quite deeply domed, too much snap-
so I ironed a lot of the dome out too, just leaving enough for some tension.
It's actually quite an attractive hat, in black, with about a 1.5" ribbon and double bow. A little small for me, as it was just a sample they posted to me but maybe I can encourage it out a little. It's about a 7 1/4 and I need a 3/8 or slightly bigger. It looks very vintage European to me, which isn't a bad thing. But from what I've seen, the American hats tend to have taller, straighter crowns and the European ones a little taper. I much prefer the straighter crowns.

It would be really kool to get some taller, straighter hats from European vendors, for us Europeans at least-

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo