Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I finally got a vintage hat!!!!

myronw

New in Town
Hi guys,

Some of you probably thought that the headline about hell freezing over only referred to Boston winning their playoffs... The truth of the matter is that I finally found a vintage hat on ebay that fit my oversized melon! I've been on pins and needles all week waiting for it to arrive, and it finally did yesterday!

It is a Charcoal color Dobbs, and apears to be unworn. There are two tiny moth divots on the lower edge of the brim, but they do not distract from the hat, in my opinion. The only hats I have to compare it to are a Risistol cowboy hat I bought thirty years ago, and my Sterling Beavers.

The felt is very tight and smooth. I'd say it's at least as smooth as the cowboy hat, which was top of the line when I bought it. It's not as smooth and silky to the touch as the Sterling Beaver, but I didn't expect it to be.

The workmanship looks very good, with a very nice looking liner and well installed ribbon and sweat. My head grew after I bought the cowboy hat, so I discarded the liner and sweat and only use it for a work hat, but I would say that the Dobbs' were as good or better than the ones I took out of the Resistol. The liner in the Sterling Beavers are nicer, but they are bridal satin, and very rich looking.

As far as fit goes, I already admitted to having to remove the sweat from the cowboy hat, so I can't comare to it. The Sterling Beavers fit better, but they are custom made to fit my head, so that's not a fair comparison either.

I like the feel of it on my head, though! I'm going to wear it a while and see if it shrinks just a whisker before I try padding the inside of the sweat tiny bit. It is a nice, light weight hat with sufficient body to hold its shape and it is very nicely blocked. It has a teardrop shape in the crown and a nice down turned brim.

I regret that I still don't have a digital camera, so I can't post any photos, but it's a very nice hat, and I'm pleased to finally find one to compare the new hats to. Would I go so far as to say I prefer it to the new ones? No, but I sure wouldn't trade it for a new top of the line cowboy hat in my size. The soft, flexible fit of a fedora just can't be beat; especially compared to the stiff, unyielding shape of a cowboy hat!

Sorry about the long winded post,

Myron

Good to hear that you now have something vintage to compare to your hats. I just wonder what grade of Dobbs you are comparing. They usually have a number like ten, fifteen, twenty---on up to 100 in the Dobbs family. This is usually imprinted on the sweatband inside.
I am sure if you compared a Dobbs 100 to any hat you might find, you would find it to be the top. The vintage Borsalino would be the exception to this though. The Dobbs 100 comes in special leatherette box that is side opening and really a great feature. I think someone here might have one to compare.
All in all, comparing apples to apples will give you quite a reference to draw from. Comparing a Dobbs ten or fifteen to an average hat of today would show what a huge backslide the hat industry has made since hats were all the rage.
Enjoy the new hat. I am sure it will grow on you. ;)

Regards to all,

J

myronw

New in Town
Hi Jamespowers,

I don't know what quality range the hat it is... I looked all over in the box, under the sweatband, etc. It must be a pretty high end one, though... The felt is REALLY nice, with no guard hairs showing, and very tightly felted. It has almost as soft and silky a feel as the Sterling beavers. It is a really fine hat, no question about it. I'm glad I was finally able to find one in my size! The two tiny moth divits just give it character, right? The vintage felt is definitely nice, though...

Keep smiling,

Myron

Gershomite

New in Town
I finally got a vintage hat via eBay as well. It is a Cavanagh Homburg. Very very nice hat. The felt of the body is soft soft soft, yet is has a bit of resiliancy when a finger presses against it. The brim is somewhat stiffer, holding its shape so well I think I could carry stuff in it. The liner shows a tinge of age through its subtle yellowing, and adds to the vintage look of it all. I have sent it out to be sized up to my massive 22 1/4 inch head. (The seller listed it as a 7 but under the tag under the liner revealed a true size of 6 7/8) It is black of course, and has a $20.00 dollar original price tab still inside...exactly what I bid for it. When I get it back I will replace my present avatar with one featuring the Cavanagh, as well as some pics for everyone to see.

The hat that I REALLY wanted was a vintage black Borsalino Fedora with a 5 inch crown and a 2 5/8 inch brim. It was mentioned somewhere in the Fedora Lounge, but I have not been able to remember where. Someone named "Policehat" ended up with it. (If that is anyone here, no worries...the bidding ended on a saturday so I could not have purchased it at any rate)

On that note: I am Gershomite on eBay, so should any of the fine patrons of the Fedora Lounge find themselves bidding on a black or grey vintage hat in size 7 - 7 1/8 and my name show up on the bidder list, do not hesitate to drop me a line, and I will retract my bid for it. (I could never remember 375 or so ebay names!)

:)

Gersh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails