Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate monkeys.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
They Hang Monkeys in Northeast England!

The Hartlepool Monkey, Who hung the monkey?

The monkey-hanging legend is the most famous story connected with Hartlepool. During the Napoleonic Wars a French ship was wrecked off the Hartlepool coast.

During the Napoleonic Wars there was a fear of a French invasion of Britain and much public concern about the possibility of French infiltrators and spies.

The fishermen of Hartlepool fearing an invasion kept a close watch on the French vessel as it struggled against the storm but when the vessel was severely battered and sunk they turned their attention to the wreckage washed ashore. Among the wreckage lay one wet and sorrowful looking survivor, the ship's pet monkey dressed to amuse in a military style uniform.

The fishermen apparently questioned the monkey and held a beach-based trial. Unfamiliar with what a Frenchman looked like they came to the conclusion that this monkey was a French spy and should be sentenced to death. The unfortunate creature was to die by hanging, with the mast of a fishing boat (a coble) providing a convenient gallows.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I enjoy most animals and creatures ... even monkeys at a distance ... but hamsters are another story.
I would rather have any other pet. Under the guise of cute and cuddly, hamsters are evil waiting to strike :rage:
Have you ever seen a hamster yawn? Those jokers have razor teeth about three inches long! Yet, the whole hamster is only three inches long!!! So does it store its teeth in a special cavity the length of its whole body?!?!

I have never met a hamster who didn't immediately bite a chunk out of my hand. I guess I am jaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic