Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have died and gone to.....hat heaven

Fedora

Vendor
I got the vintage Imperial Stetson today from a purchase on ebay. This hat apparently was stored in a hat box for its entire life, or so it looks. It was bought as a reblock canidate, but if it were not a size too small, I would leave it as is. This is the Imperial Stetson, chocolate brown, that was sold in London, according to the gold lettering on the sweatband. It was made in Philadelphia PA. and comes with a 2 7/8 brim, 5 1/2 open crown height and felt that is as good as it gets-I think. I can say first hand now that Optimo does in fact sells felt that is very close to the vintage felt. Of course, several here knew that already, but I didn't.:D It makes the Optimo more desirable to me as they indeed sell a felt that is vintage-like. This hat was blocked originally with the Raiders block. No taper at all and the right radius on the top. The sweatband is tan, very soft, and has the extra piece of material under it to keep the sweat from soaking through(something that I wish Optimo would replicate). The liner looks like silk, hand stitched. I just removed the ribbon and the felt underneath is the same color as what is above it. Yes!!!!!! I was worried about that. The thickness of the felt is just a fuzz thicker than the lightweight Optimo, but thin nonetheless. This hat looks brand new. I am truly impressed. I have it stripped down, and I also noticed that the felt on the inside is practically as nice a finish as it is on the outside. This is very fine felt, and a great example of what felt used to be. Needless to say, this will be my favorite hat, due to all mentioned above, and because it is vintage. I will be wearing a piece of history, and you can bet I will baby this fedora. I can't thank fedoralover enough for turning me on to vintage hats, and his pointers on what to look for as far as grades of felt in the Stetson line. No doubt about it. Stetson used to make some fine hats. too bad this is not the case anymore.:confused: regards, Fedora

PS, I forgot one thing. It has the wind trolley.

Fedora

Vendor
An update. I just finished putting the hat on the block. This felt is very very nice to work with. It stretched over the block with ease, and it was no problem at all getting 5 1/2 out of it, even with having to move up a size. The brim stayed the same. In fact, I could have got 5 3/4 out of it if I had tugged more. I love felt that lets you do that to it. Not all felt has that quality, or not as much of it anyway. I was going to make this a LC hat, but it is much too thin for anything but an all out Raiders fedora. Looks like I will be wearing the Optimo and the Imperial Stetson the rest of this year. regards, Fedora

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Having an Open Road in the Imperial felt, I know your feelings. The felt and quality of workmanship is very seldom done today and if it is it will cost you some big money. I'm just glad I got mine before all you other hat affectionados caught on. I just looked up your purchase on that hat and it looked fantastic. Since you have that block you can get a real deal on those smaller sizes. That hat even looked like it had the flying V in the front bow loop. Congrats on a great find. I know the price on these are only going to go up as more people recognize their quality. I recently saw an Adam fedora in its original box go for over $200. A borsalino just went for $80. Those prices are still bargains when compared to new ones. Even though they usually have a few dings here and there, they are still a hat lovers dream. Post some pics of it after you rework it.

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I just wanted to add that I'm not sure if your wife will thank me for turning you on to vintage hats. After looking at all the ones you've bought it looks like your wife will have to move some of her stuff out to the garage to make way for the influx of new hats you'll be getting in the mail soon.

fedoralover

Fedora

Vendor
Shhhhhhh.....she might be listening.:D I think I have bought 5. But only 3 were vintage fedora type hats. I bought 2 older western hats, one for me, and one for my brother. I am waiting on a Stetson fedora now that looks pretty good. We shall see. regards, Fedora

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Lol I was on the 3rd grade when someone made this thread. I'm just bumping this up to see who still posts on this thread.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
He probably paid under $40 for it. We have created the demand and fashion for hats since them.

It's different this year than it was even a few years ago, from my experiences with eBay. I see less pre-1950s hats, ties, and suits available than I noticed when I was starting out in my vintage clothing interests several years earlier. It's only a matter of time before the infrequent 1920s and '30s items are priced even higher, and then the '40s will follow. However, it is nice that this forum has helped some public interests in these things, as it leads to a wider acceptance of wearing hats or other classically styled clothes that were once feared being doomed to become antiquated with no future.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I would like to get into vintage - but I'm a total newbie. How does one become educated?

Spending more time here, reading current and older threads, is an excellent start! You may also want to read the general fashion pages on Wikipedia or other encyclopedias to gain a more general knowledge of certain aspects of vintage clothing.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It's different this year than it was even a few years ago, from my experiences with eBay. I see less pre-1950s hats, ties, and suits available than I noticed when I was starting out in my vintage clothing interests several years earlier.

Well, in this very thread Fedoralover complained about an Adam with box, that went for over $200 back in October 2003. I guess the amount of tears, wept over prices, has been pretty constant throughout the lifespan of this forum.

I would like to get into vintage - but I'm a total newbie. How does one become educated?

Watch old movies, look at old magazines, get a feel for what you like. Amazon has some pretty cool books on vintage fashions, too. NY I would guess would have some pretty top shelf vintage stores you could check out. A lot of new stuff is pretty serviceable toward achieving a vintage look, too. If you are sporting daddyo's shirts and Hawaiian shirts with those snappy diamond porkpies, you are already off to a good start.

GregNYC

One Too Many
Thanks, I grew up on old movies, hats my father and grandfather wore, trad style and private eye novels! I have an esthetic sense. It's just that when people get into detail about the quality of the felt, and 8x and flanges and reblocking and converting and stuff, I feel that there's a lot I should know before making an eBay bid....

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
I feel that there's a lot I should know before making an eBay bid....

Actually, if you wait 'til you know it all, you'll never get anything.

Start out buying what you think will look good on you. Learn as you go. But the fact is, nothing teaches better tan a few disappointing purchases.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Fedoracentric. WE are always learning, and new things appear all the time. There are plenty of pages here to peek at to brush up on some knowledge. Find your preferances, and go from there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925