Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have this "event" to go to and I need advice

Levallois

Practically Family
This is a black tie OR dress in 1920s and 1930s garb $150-a-plate grown-up night time social affair. I don't own black tie garb but I do have a very nice 1930s-looking British charcoal DB suit, crisp white shirt, and black Allen Edmonds Park Avenue shoes- so far so good.

Now the part that I always have trouble with; the tie, pocket square and hat. Should these also be "normal" dark colors - (dark blue, dark gray, black) as this is at night or would a dark green, dark purple, or dark rust colored hat be ok with approproiate tie and pocket square? Also I have a choice between a dark blue DB cashmere overcoat and a jet black single cashmere overcoat to go over this outfit and plan on wearing a gardenia in my lapel. I want to look classy but not stodgy.

I'd appreciate some help. Thank you.

John

MB5

One of the Regulars
Here are a couple charts that may help you.

1921-chart.jpg

1928 Chart (large image)

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Since the event is giving you a choice between Black Tie or 20's/30's wear I think the world is your oyster .. or something like that ... ;)

I think with nice shoes, suit and crisp white shirt you can pretty much take your pick with your other choices ... it's up to you and what suits you ...

I like the idea of the dark purple hat, tie & square myself ... and the dark blue overcoat .... but green might work too .. whatever suits you better ... rust seems a little radical but only you will know when you look in the mirror.

The dress code opens up a world of options so experiment I say! :)

Levallois

Practically Family
I appreciate the responses! Dark purple hat with black ribbon, blue/purple pattern tie and blue pocket square may be just the ticket! It doesn't follow that great old chart but I'm willing to take a chance. Thanks!

John

Levallois

Practically Family
Photos of the possible color combos:

Purple hat/blue tie

DSC01278.jpg

Med gray hat/blue tie

DSC01279.jpg

And the left field choice - rust hat, tie, pocket square

DSC01281.jpg

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
#3 if you pleaze!

As best as I can ascertain from you avatar I think the rust goes best with your skin tone and has the most "pop" and wow factor to me. Not being able to see it in person you'll have to judge. Given that, my next choice is for the purple accents of #1 as a second.
I am a bit biased toward the loud and colorful. Go big or go home! :D

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At first, I was liking the gray hat with blue...but the green hat & tie - that's a really unusual color combination that's not over-the-top flashy, but anything but boring. Understatedly elegant - IMHO.

It could also be that I've never liked earthtones with black, grey or blue. But that's just me...

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the "rust hat, tie, pocket square" combo best and the green combo second. Green is more extraordinary maybe.

I am still a newbie, though. When I began lookin for vintage ties rust, red, brown and beige seemed to be the ideal colors for the 40s
Now I see there are al lots of more possibilities.

Still don't like the blue tie so much. Looks to bright to me.

RM Bantista

New in Town
Levallois said:
This is a black tie OR dress in 1920s and 1930s garb $150-a-plate grown-up night time social affair. I don't own black tie garb but I do have a very nice 1930s-looking British charcoal DB suit, crisp white shirt, and black Allen Edmonds Park Avenue shoes- so far so good.

Now the part that I always have trouble with; the tie, pocket square and hat. Should these also be "normal" dark colors - (dark blue, dark gray, black) as this is at night or would a dark green, dark purple, or dark rust colored hat be ok with approproiate tie and pocket square? Also I have a choice between a dark blue DB cashmere overcoat and a jet black single cashmere overcoat to go over this outfit and plan on wearing a gardenia in my lapel. I want to look classy but not stodgy.

I'd appreciate some help. Thank you.

John

Sir,

I would wear a SB topcoat with a DB suit, and I like the blue/grey hat. But the Brown hat tie and square would look good with a brown shoe. Nice ties. I have worn white squares with many color ties in the past, so, do as thou wilt. Now, I have a drawer full of different color squares for various combinations of ties and so forth. With black shoes, I would pass on the brown hat and tie. But no matter, you should look smashing in most of these outfit combinations. And it would have been done in the day without a thought. Everyone in dinner suit will be in black shoes.

Which is another consideration. I have been trying to convince my dear wife that a dinner suit is a necessary item for a gentleman, but so far, she is not in favor of it.

regards,

rudy

Levallois

Practically Family
I appreciate all the responses! I think I'll go with the left field choice of rust with gray suit and these shoes:

1940ssuit005.jpg

Doggy Darb

New in Town
Any dress code that includes period attire is an invitation to appear interesting. Indulge yourself; it is as the host would have it. I would go with the rust ensemble.

Levallois

Practically Family
Well, we went last night - great swing/big band with Francine Reed singing - most people wore black tie - maybe 8 couples out of 150 wore period stuff.

My "tough" 30s look before going out the door - 5:30 pm so still sunny - got about an hour drive to make it to the viewing for the silent auction

DSC01287.jpg

Here's us posing before leaving; should have fixed my jacket pocket -

DSC01289.jpg

I want to thank all who replied - the left field, rust ensemble was a huge hit - got ton's of compliments and comments including several from guys saying "I wish I would have worn my hat" from those just in black tie.

John

GBR

One of the Regulars
Levallois said:
Well, we went last night - great swing/big band with Francine Reed singing - most people wore black tie - maybe 8 couples out of 150 wore period stuff.

My "tough" 30s look before going out the door - 5:30 pm so still sunny - got about an hour drive to make it to the viewing for the silent auction

DSC01287.jpg

Here's us posing before leaving; should have fixed my jacket pocket -

DSC01289.jpg

I want to thank all who replied - the left field, rust ensemble was a huge hit - got ton's of compliments and comments including several from guys saying "I wish I would have worn my hat" from those just in black tie.

John

Surely the hat would have been seen by very few as you should surely have handed it to the cloak room attendant for safe keeping immediately upon arrival?

RFLowings

New in Town
A crisp take on a rather gangsterish look. The tie really sets it apart... and the rust/grey works very well. The pocket square is a better option than a buttonhole with this look... thought about a cigar for the next time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner