Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

That bluegrass green is a thing of true beauty. I need to get me one of those; would love to pair that with a big, boxy early 50s-style two-piece suit....
If you do, I certainly hope your experience is similar to mine, because Akubra's Bluegrass Green immediately became one of my favorite colors. It looks great in photos, but even better in person.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

Attachments

• fed iv brown 08262023 20230826_112334.jpg
    fed iv brown 08262023 20230826_112334.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 54
  • fed iv brown 08262023 20230826_112348.jpg
    fed iv brown 08262023 20230826_112348.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 41

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
That looks fantastic @scottyrocks - thanks for posting!

I can't seem to reply to your post right now or quote it (the website is really acting up) but this definitely inspires me to try reblocking my old FED. It's a size too big so I need to shrink it down as well. I just need to figure out what to use as a makeshift block.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
That looks fantastic @scottyrocks - thanks for posting!

I can't seem to reply to your post right now or quote it (the website is really acting up) but this definitely inspires me to try reblocking my old FED. It's a size too big so I need to shrink it down as well. I just need to figure out what to use as a makeshift block.

Thank you kindly, LC.

There's not much that I know of that looks or works like a hat block. One of mine is plastic thing I got online. It works well and wasn't expensive.

Here's where I got it:

http://www.hatshapers.com/

I got the classic dome. When I got mine, all these sizes weren't available. My head is about 28.7 cm so I got what is now called a medium 2plus, so I could use it without the sweat in the felt. Then the hat would be the proper size for me when the sweat was reinstalled. I can also use it to stretch a hat when it's too tight on my head. A too-loose hat is easier to remedy than a too-tight hat, imho.

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thank you kindly, LC.

There's not much that I know of that looks or works like a hat block. One of mine is plastic thing I got online. It works well and wasn't expensive.

Here's where I got it:

http://www.hatshapers.com/

I got the classic dome. When I got mine, all these sizes weren't available. My head is about 28.7 cm so I got what is now called a medium 2plus, so I could use it without the sweat in the felt. Then the hat would be the proper size for me when the sweat was reinstalled. I can also use it to stretch a hat when it's too tight on my head. A too-loose hat is easier to remedy than a too-tight hat, imho.
Oh man, fantastic link, thanks for sharing.

I see these blocks are mostly smaller than 5 inches tall - was that a problem for you at all, or maybe you just didn’t wet the whole hat so you weren’t worried about it shrinking?

I’ve actually just taken my old FED apart. This is my very first hat deconstruction. Here are photos if anyone is interested.

I was surprised to find that they tape the bow together at the back.
IMG_8448.jpeg

IMG_8450.jpeg

IMG_8451.jpeg

IMG_8453.jpeg

IMG_8449.jpeg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I might order a plastic block in the near future but for now I’ve got a cooking pot that’s exactly the size I need the hat to be without the sweatband. So I rigged up an ad hoc down sizer, soaked the hat and strapped it on. I’ll see what I get in the morning.

Good old Akubras continue to be awesome learning tools for me.

IMG_8460.jpeg

IMG_8462.jpeg

Last edited:
I think there's someone else doing 3d printed blocks cheaper now, but I'll vouch for Randal Allan blocks/flanges. A bit more of an investment than the hat shapers, but you can definitely use an iron on them.

I bought a 3-D printed block from a seller in Turkey. The price was better, and he made the dimensions I requested and had it in my hands in two weeks, but the block was not as nicely made or finished as the RA blocks. I’m expecting my first hat project made on my new block to arrive this week. Fingers crossed.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I might order a plastic block in the near future but for now I’ve got a cooking pot that’s exactly the size I need the hat to be without the sweatband. So I rigged up an ad hoc down sizer, soaked the hat and strapped it on. I’ll see what I get in the morning.

Good old Akubras continue to be awesome learning tools for me.

View attachment 542688
View attachment 542689

The problem with a cook pot is that it's round, not oval. I don't know how that'll work once its off the pot, creased, and back on your head.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
The problem with a cook pot is that it's round, not oval. I don't know how that'll work once its off the pot, creased, and back on your head.
Yes, you’re right and the result was that the crown had a much more tapered appearance. That might have been a problem with better quality felt (and I won’t try it again with kitchenware) but it only needed a bit of steam to get an ovular shape back to this old fellow.

The downsizing was successful and it fits PERFECTLY now (not that you can tell from the photos, but here it is). The sweatband has to be sewn in and the rest put back together this afternoon.

Not only did the hat downsize, but I also turned it around and was able to get the “duck bill” look out of the brim.

Lesson learned, though, to buy a real hat block.
IMG_8466.jpeg

IMG_8467.jpeg

IMG_8468.jpeg

Streak

New in Town
I just took delivery of the Akubra Rough Rider in Loden to go with my Tablelands in Brown Olive and my Blue Mountains in Bluegrass thanks to all of the encouragement here.
Coming next will be the Fed IV deluxe. I see that the site says

1930s Shape Specs:
Brim: Dipped Front with Raised Back & Sides

What is the general consensus about the raised back as opposed to having it dipped same as the front?

20230824_111714.jpg

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I just took delivery of the Akubra Rough Rider in Loden to go with my Tablelands in Brown Olive and my Blue Mountains in Bluegrass thanks to all of the encouragement here.

1930s Shape Specs:

What is the general consensus about the raised back as opposed to having it dipped same as the front?

View attachment 543219
My Banjo Paterson, Stockman, and Angler all dip in the back like yours, and I like that brim shape. I also like the shape of the brim on my Fed IV, having it raise slightly in the rear, it makes it look a little more fedora and a little less outback.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

1930s Shape Specs:

View attachment 543219

I don't know what the general consensus is, but I suspect that a flipped down rear is more Western, and a flipped up rear is more fedora.

Edward

Bartender
If you do, I certainly hope your experience is similar to mine, because Akubra's Bluegrass Green immediately became one of my favorite colors. It looks great in photos, but even better in person.

I hope so. :) I have a mind for two green fedoras - one of these, and one in a more 'bottle green' colour. The bluegrass would go well with the more earthtone feel of tweeds.

Edward

Bartender

As far as I understand it, the dip in the back is commonly seen on bush hats, Westerns and the like because it supposedly keeps the sun off the back of the neck better than an upturned rear brim on a fedora. At least in origin - by this point, I suspect it's primarily a style thing. I've used both in similar conditions and in truth not really noticed any genuine difference. Aesthetically, I prefer a bit of an upturn or at least a flat brim at the rear.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
More Fed IV love!

I was able to get a used heritage brown FED for about half price - it arrived this evening. This hat is in excellent condition and even after owning another heritage FED I still can’t believe how soft the felt is.

I was easily able to steam out the bash this guy came with and return him to an almost pristine open crown. Now he’s got my bash and I threw him over my knee for a little stretching action and voila!

Yet another darn impressive Akubra. I like my vintage lids a lot, but Akubra’s heritage felt continues to rise in value in my eyes. There is a little bit of spider webbing you can see in the front pinch and I can appreciate that as a mark of inferior quality; however, I could probably work that out and honestly imo it does not tell an accurate story of this felt.

IMG_8584.jpeg

IMG_8585.jpeg

IMG_8586.jpeg

IMG_8595.jpeg

IMG_8589.jpeg

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
More Fed IV love!

I was able to get a used heritage brown FED for about half price - it arrived this evening. This hat is in excellent condition and even after owning another heritage FED I still can’t believe how soft the felt is.

I was easily able to steam out the bash this guy came with and return him to an almost pristine open crown. Now he’s got my bash and I threw him over my knee for a little stretching action and voila!

Yet another darn impressive Akubra. I like my vintage lids a lot, but Akubra’s heritage felt continues to rise in value in my eyes. There is a little bit of spider webbing you can see in the front pinch and I can appreciate that as a mark of inferior quality; however, I could probably work that out and honestly imo it does not tell an accurate story of this felt.

View attachment 545813
View attachment 545816
View attachment 545817
View attachment 545818
View attachment 545819
Great hats. I have a black one coming soon. Also, I'm curious how to smooth out the spidering you mentioned. I have a hat from Northwest Hats that spidered in places and even though it's not that noticeable it bugs me.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Great hats. I have a black one coming soon. Also, I'm curious how to smooth out the spidering you mentioned. I have a hat from Northwest Hats that spidered in places and even though it's not that noticeable it bugs me.
I massaged the hat last night with my fingers a little and the spidering started coming out. It was really easy, I didn’t even use any steam (not sure if steam would help?). If I could massage it out of the Akubra, I bet it would come out easy from one of Mike’s hats.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran