Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Final Federation

MCrider

A-List Customer
First day out with my new tawny Fed IV. The weather dropped to the 60's and everyone but me complaining about the weather change. I was all smiles.

Fed4 10-04-14.jpg

MCrider

A-List Customer
Another day of rain and luckily I had my new Fed IV on and as usual the Akubra just laughed it off!

Fed4 10-07-14a.jpg

I don't necessarily like being out in the rain, but with a good hat on your head I do get a smile from the noise the
rain makes on it. Weird how the tawny color looks grey with the water on it.

:D

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That color is such a chameleon. Is it more of a yellowish, golden color or more neutral like in the outdoor picture? Maybe it's just me not being able to make up my mind? How does it compare to the Heritage Fawn?

Oh and btw, great crease job!

That color is such a chameleon. Is it more of a yellowish, golden color or more neutral like in the outdoor picture? Maybe it's just me not being able to make up my mind? How does it compare to the Heritage Fawn?
On my monitor the color in the photos I posted in post #17 are pretty accurate for direct sunlight, particularly in the photo on the right, so I'd say it's definitely more neutral than golden.

I've never seen the Heritage Fawn in person, but based on the photos I've seen posted on The Lounge I believe the Heritage Fawn is slightly more neutral and a bit darker than the Tawny Fawn. That being said, I think the difference between the two colors is so slight that you'd have to have them next to each other to determine which was which.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Zombie. I have always liked the Heritage Fawn color but didn't want to pay that much for a heritage felt but if that tawny fawn is that close I may just change my mind.

OddHatter

New in Town
I just pulled the trigger on a Fed IV in carbon - you guys make it look just too cool? As I'm a novice at this I have to admit I'm a bit nervous in the bashing department, but seeing how great a job you both did on yours helps me feel a bit less nervous. Hopefully, I'll gain more confidence in the days between now and when I finally get my hat. Just wanted to say thanks for the pics as they will be a great guide in my near future.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Well it's been awhile since I wrote anything about my final Federation, but be assured that it's in regular rotation with my other hats. Here's a shot of my hat at work in the Post Office - of course this is before I opened the office LOL

S5031710.jpg

It's softening up nicely and the felt feels slightly better than my grey Fed IV.

jhoops01

One of the Regulars
I just received my third Fed IV yesterday! I think my first one arrived less than two months ago, so yes it's a sickness. The first one was the Tawny Fawn, followed by Moonstone and now Carbon Grey. The Moonstone is the softest and the Tawny is the stiffest. I'm still shaping the Carbon, but it feels terrific! Sorry, no pics yet.

In a related piece of enabling that FL is great at, my 1972 Kersey peacoat arrived last Friday. Picking it up today from the dry cleaners. Now just waiting for the weather to turn again here in GA.

-Joe

Glenville86

Familiar Face
It is a sickness. I have the Deluxe Fed IV in brown, regular model in carbon grey, moonstone, and brown. Also have the David Morgan Adventurer in brown and the Akubra Adventurer in carbon.

Edward

Bartender
The Fedderation is aboutg as perfect as a production hat can get, imo. Perfect size and shape... I have two of the Mk 3s: one Deluxe in the brown / Indy colour, and one standard model in carbon grey (which alas has a bit of a carpet-beetle gouge in it). Once I sell a few things and create a bit of space (and cash), I have my eye on a few more. One in every colour, ideally(!). That tan shade is especially appealling. All I need is a local hatter who can do a couple of mods cheaply (install a wind trolley, change ribbon, add a broad ribbon edge-binding) for a couple of customs, and I don't really need to look at another fedora again..... (Ha!).

MCrider

A-List Customer
All I need is a local hatter who can do a couple of mods cheaply (install a wind trolley, change ribbon, add a broad ribbon edge-binding) for a couple of customs, and I don't really need to look at another fedora again..... (Ha!).

Good luck with that! LOL I say that after almost every hat I've bought. I tell the wife "Yeah, this should do it. I have a great assortment of styles and colors. Yep this should be the last one. " At that point she just rolls her eyes.

:rolleyes:

The Fedderation is aboutg as perfect as a production hat can get, imo. Perfect size and shape...
For me, it would be if they added 1/4" to the brim width and flanged the brim with a bit more curl/cupping so that it wasn't quite so flat. Since that's not likely to happen any time soon (or ever), I'll happily wear the ones I have. :D

MCrider

A-List Customer
Heer's a pic of the Final Fed after last weeks rain. Not quite the amount predicted, but it did get a bit wet.

S5031717.jpg

Like the Feds before it, it kept my glasses clean and my head dry! What more could you ask of it?

:p

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I have a couple of Campdrafts (Silverbelly and Bluegrass) and really like them so I did not think that I "needed" a Fed However, these are looking pretty good in Moonstone and there is a "need" for a gray hat.

I was wondering whether the Deluxe is worth the extra money. Any comments on the differences and value of the two options?

How about vendors?

Does anyone have Campdraft and Fed 4? Comparison comments?

Thanks,
Fed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner